It's Official: Katz reporting plan to add UH and SMU

Harry

Yet I never said that the Big East is not better than CUSA. It's just not strong enough for it to benefit SMU so much that if we join CUSA, we won't feel its benefits. Something like this was suggested earlier.

These moves would benefit both schools but it would benefit SMU a lot more for the simple fact that they're going to the Big East and an AQ conference. There is no question that the move to the Big East is better from top to bottom but both moves benefit both schools in its own way.

These moves would benefit both schools but it would benefit SMU a lot more for the simple fact that they're going to the Big East and an AQ conference. There is no question that the move to the Big East is better from top to bottom but both moves benefit both schools in its own way.

The TV money alone will be much improved over what they were getting in CUSA.

I think many on this board need to realize that no school has accepted the invite yet, and there is no guarantee that any team will. Also, if all the schools do accept, like stated early, there is no guarantee we will get an invite. People need to stop counting their chickens before they hatch.

God help us. We have become so beaten down we can't even accept great news when it hits us in the face. The point he is trying to make is that CUSA was a great place for SMU, UCF, TCU, USF and Houston. It would be a significant upward move for us as well. GMG!

I agree.

This would be a huge move up.

Any edge we can get in recruiting against, Lafayette, Louisiana Tech, Ark State, etc would be good. I never understood how they could come into DFW and get players that UNT wanted. I also never understood how we lose players to the Southland schools either.

Anyway, TCU will likely devolve into the next Baylor of the Big 12 . . . . .competitive once every 10 years. The same is probably true for SMU/UH in the BE as i think it's very difficult for schools with their type of attendance to be competitive year in and year out in an AQ conference. If so, this would leave a void for us to fill allowing us to be the the next TCU or Houston which would be a definite improvement.

No bitchin and screaming here if we get some kind of a CUSA/MWC invite. We get better, work our way up, and then we get an invite to the Big 12 down the road. It's where we naturally belong anyway, and probably where we would be today if it were not for the debacle(s) of the late 70's early 80's. Unfortunately, it's just going to take time, but ANY move up now is MUCH better than more stagnation. Let us hope and pray that an invite comes our way.

I know this increases our chances of a CUSA/MWC invite but are we really sure they're going to expand? With the alliance they have an abundant of teams and they may look to stand pat right now and grow within. Again I just don't want to get my hopes that high because I think many on the board are assuming that once SMU goes to the Big East that our invitation will be ready for us from CUSA.

I seems certain to me. CUSA will need to replace three teams and the Mountain West needs to add four teams if Boise and Air Force go to the Big East. That would only leave seven for basketball and the other sports.

Surely with seven teams going to CUSA and the MWC with our market, size, facilities, increased budget, location and administrative commitment we'll at least get a long look. Also, remember that the Big Twelve is talking of adding two (three if Missouri bolts) which could affect CUSA and other conferences.

I suppose I'm talking Chinese here? I never said SMU wouldn't benefit. I'll say it again. I don't think SMU will benefit so greatly that it will ruin our chances to do well at all in the CUSA, due to ruining our recruiting, etc. As was suggested earlier...again, that doesn't mean SMU won't benefit from the move, it's obvious they would!

Edited by bleedgreen4ever

Really?

I wonder why the Big12 hasn't targeted Boise?

We all talk about how little academics matter in modern college sports... But at some point, universities really do care about who they are affiliated with, and how that affects their academic reputation.

It's why the Big 10 insists on adding AAU schools, it's why the Pac 10/12 was so hesitant to add some of the bundled-in schools with Texas and OU.

Boise State was a junior college until the mid 60's. Boise State has a school of truck driving.

It's one thing for a conference desperate to maintain BCS standing to offer them a football-only membership. It's another thing entirely for Texas and Oklahoma to say "join us, be a part of our identity, use your academic excellence to drive our equipment from state to state!".

I agree.

This would be a huge move up.

Any edge we can get in recruiting against, Lafayette, Louisiana Tech, Ark State, etc would be good. I never understood how they could come into DFW and get players that UNT wanted. I also never understood how we lose players to the Southland schools either.

Anyway, TCU will likely devolve into the next Baylor of the Big 12 . . . . .competitive once every 10 years. The same is probably true for SMU/UH in the BE as i think it's very difficult for schools with their type of attendance to be competitive year in and year out in an AQ conference. If so, this would leave a void for us to fill allowing us to be the the next TCU or Houston which would be a definite improvement.

Home run for UNT !! Not only get into the CUSA , but an improved CUSA with a playoff with MWC. TCU has done fine recruiting and not being n a AQ conference.

This could b the first good size league to have a playoff system.

CUSA West - UNT, La Tech, Tulsa, Utep,Tulane,Rice.... nice ,close enough to travel and this would have to make the academic meatheads happy !!! B)

Okay now I will put my 2 cents worth in this discussion.

First have you noticed the bias in sports reporting? If SMU and Houston do go to Big East their games will probably be played in mid afternoon in the East. So that means on ESPN, local stations and newspapers their games will make the Sunday print. Also have you ever noticed that many of the awards and discussion about athelets(sp) focus on many teams in the East or South? So guess what happens in the rankings their stock goes up because they are playing in the East and it hits the papers in the East.

Second there are no guarantees that North Texas will be offered an invite to either MWC or CUSA but the real question is who will be left in each conference. Also, who will those conferences cherry pick from WAC and Sunbelt and to throughly muddy the waters AF would be in the BE as a football only but go to the WAC.

Next in CUSA baseball is a must but do not know about the MWC. From my perspective it could be that due to economics some of the teams in both CUSA and MWC could kill football due to the expense and keep other sports and then how many would be left standing or would there be a merger with some of those universities going to the WAC or even sunbelt--

GMG

CUSA is unquestionably better than the Sun Belt. Would you prefer we waited around for a Big 10 invite?

No, more like it might be better to be one of two schools in a "minor" conference than be the only one. Even if the league we move to is better, in the grand scheme of things we might stand out more as a have not.

No, more like it might be better to be one of two schools in a "minor" conference than be the only one. Even if the league we move to is better, in the grand scheme of things we might stand out more as a have not.

If we somehow get a wish granted and move to the combined CUSA/MWC and they somehow convince the BCS to give their champ an auto-bid we could actually have easier access to a BCS Bowl than Smut trying to go thru the Big East. Long shot....but there's a chance it could all happen.

• Downvote 1

Anyway, TCU will likely devolve into the next Baylor of the Big 12 . . . . .competitive once every 10 years. The same is probably true for SMU/UH in the BE as i think it's very difficult for schools with their type of attendance to be competitive year in and year out in an AQ conference.

It's funny you say that. Cincinnati consistently has the lowest attendance in the Big East because their stadium holds 35k.

Since realignment in 2005:

2005 2nd to last

2006 Tied for 4th with winning conference record

2007 Tied for 3rd one win behind the co-champs, 10 wins

2008 Champs

2009 Champs undefeated in regular season

2010 2nd to last

2011 4-1 w/no conference games so far.

I'll take winning the conference 1/3 of the time, double digit wins 1/2 the time, and winning seasons 2/3 of the time. Would you?

I assume you don't think attendance is important to win in a non-AQ conference. If you do and want UNT to join CUSA, then UNT is in trouble because you'd be behind everyone except maybe Tulsa who averaged 20k last year and 22k the year before. But then again, we know what Tulsa can do on the field.

EDIT: I know Tulane, SMU, and Rice have inflated attendance numbers, but they do sell those tickets even if they don't have that many show up to the game.

Edited by NTXCoog