b12 votes to invite tcu

SHOSS

I had heard that OU pushed for TCU to be invited. As did T. Boone at OSU.

Oh really? I didn't know that. I did hear that Texas was always against a TCU addition and thought OU wasn't for TCU either, but I guess I'm wrong about the Oklahomas. If the big 12 does survive and gain extra strength by adding a West Virginia and BYU or BSU...then I'm all for it. I am definitely against a super PAC 16 and other super conferences.

On a much more pressing note...what do you think UNT chances are against FAU Saturday?

At this point, what the Big Whatever does or doesn't do has no effect on the most important thing happening for UNT this weekend, and that's the game with FAU.

Let's see UNT go out and kick some FAU rear ends Saturday! That's the pressing most important thing!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Especially as a Rose Bowl champion TCU deserves to be invited to the Big 12. I can see BYU as a possible invitee also but if the Big 12 is smart then I believe that they should invite Houston. They lose presence big-time in the Houston market when A&M leaves.

The Big East should now stick to teams in or near their footprint which basically means the six that they have now plus East Carolina, UCF, Army, Navy, Temple and the like.

If SMU keeps us out of CUSA (which I don't think that they will do) then so be it. The MWC still needs a couple more teams and they covet the DFW market. Either way, I like our chances IF we can average more than 20,000 this year. So guys, make every effort to attend each home game.

• Upvote 1

I would personally rather us go to the MWC than CUSA, unless SMU leaves CUSA. However, I have a feeling UCF and Houston are leaving and I don't see many of the MWC teams leaving, meaning it'll be a slightly better conference, especially if BSU stays. Boise St. playing against us in conference play in Denton? Air Force playing us in conference play in Denton? SDSU....I mean, it would greatly improve our attendance average and we'd probably shortly after be considering expanding our stadium, which would keep improving our recruits. However, we just don't know how conferences are going to end up like in the next couple of year, so we just have to wait. I'm impatient though.

• Upvote 1

Well, TCU has already lost to SMU and Baylor this year, so the Big 12 looks like it's adding a big pile of nothing. This isn't a program that just "reloads" like at OU or Texas.

I believe TCU did the best when the competition was low. They did a good job of taking advantage of bad conferences by winning and gaining interest.

However, they will be no better than also-rans in a bigger conference. In all, if this is the type of program that is gluing the Big 12 back together, it's going to be a very rickety contraption.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

big east as football conference is dead. 1]mizoo to sec if conference allows tennessee and alabama to play annually 2] w.v.,cincy, and louisville to big 12.3] u.con and rut. to acc. 4]mac,cusa, mt.west status quo 5]wac and belt work something out

No, I don't think it's even remotely possible to predict these outcomes. Plus, I REALLY doubt there'll be status quo with CUSA and MWC...UCF, Houston, Boise st, SDSU..and a couple more could end up moving out or form a stronger conference amongst themselves, I don't know, but everything is really hard to predict.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well, TCU has already lost to SMU and Baylor this year, so the Big 12 looks like it's adding a big pile of nothing. This isn't a program that just "reloads" like at OU or Texas.

Maybe they don't "reload" quite the way some of those teams do, but they have begun building up a nice stockpile that should show results in the next year or two. Consider that in 2008, TCU wasn't even listed in Rivals top 50 teams for recruiting. Those are the recruits that are currently their seniors. In 2009 and 2010, they were ranked #46, and last year, they were #26. As of right now, they have Rivals' #22 recruiting class. They have been on the upswing in recruiting, and I am sure going to the Big 12 will only help that.

Gary Patterson has shown an ability to overachieve with mid-level recruits--odds are he can do better with better athletes.

TCU will be back.

I believe TCU did the best when the competition was low. They did a good job of taking advantage of bad conferences by winning and gaining interest.

They played back-to-back bowl games against top-notch Boise State teams. They did win the Rose Bowl against a pretty good Wisconsin team. Whether they can perform on a week-in, week-out basis against Big 12 teams remains to be seen.

I can't think of a better replacement for A&M than TCU, unless Arkansas could have been conned/blackmailed into leaving the SEC. But as far as football competitiveness, I believe TCU will surpass Texas A&M's place in the Big 12.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

big east as football conference is dead. 1]mizoo to sec if conference allows tennessee and alabama to play annually 2] w.v.,cincy, and louisville to big 12.3] u.con and rut. to acc. 4]mac,cusa, mt.west status quo 5]wac and belt work something out

If I had to bet on it, this seems most logical. The problem will be in whether or not the Big East just allows it's Football to go quietly into the night. I'd guess not...and thus, throws a wrench into the whole thing....

Nobody except the SEC wants to get that big. I think most conferences will settle on a 12-team membership. The SEC can do it because they are the richest, most powerful conference in the country.

Wrong. They may have had the highest-caliber football the past decade or so, but the title of richest and most powerful still belongs to the Big 10.

Why help the WAC at all? Let them become an FCS conference and be done with it. If we form an alliance with anyone, let it be CUSA since we have similar footprints.

Not the Big East, but the MWC and C-USA could certainly look to the Belt. Where else would they look for member schools? The next tier down from the MWC and C-USA includes the WAC, MAC, and Belt, and I would say the Belt schools have just as much chance, if not greater, of being invited than most schools from the other 2 conferences.

Not over UH. But we have already been looked at in the past as a serious candidate by both the MWC and C-USA. Look at all the other schools in the Belt, WAC, and MAC, and find me more than 2 schools that are clearly better candidates than UNT. Even the schools with better football are disqualified by location, lack of TV sets, and inferior academics.

Maybe, maybe not. I do wish that all of the dominoes currently falling would have waited a couple of years until we could improve our product on the field and our attendance. But I still wouldn't count us out of moving up a notch.

Ok.. I'll buy it. You've convinced me.

• Upvote 1

TCU will never go to another BCS bowl again....When you replace Wyoming, San Diego State, New Mexico, and UNLV with UT, TT, OSU, and OU, you can count on more than a few losses. Mark my words in 5 years they will be a losing football team.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

TCU will never go to another BCS bowl again....When you replace Wyoming, San Diego State, New Mexico, and UNLV with UT, TT, OSU, and OU, you can count on more than a few losses. Mark my words in 5 years they will be a losing football team.

You can't possibly say they'll "never" go to another BCS bowl. UT had a losing season last year, OU is always pretty solid but aside from those two teams, TCU could compete well against the rest of the conference and compete for future BCS bowls. Plus, who knows, we may end up with a playoff system, so you might be right IF that happens. If not, you simply can't say they'll NEVER be able to go to a BCS bowl game.

Edited by bleedgreen4ever
  • Upvote 1

I never understood this logic. It assumes the school will continue to recruit at its current talent levels.

I never understood this logic. It assumes the school will continue to recruit at its current talent levels.

TCU just went back to where they were 20 years ago, the red-headed step child of a good conference. Do you think all of the sudden they are going to out recruit UT and OU? Not happening. They may compete for a while, but they won't ever be the B12 champion, and when they begin to lose they will fall and fall hard. Baylor was one of the better SWC teams when they moved to the B12, how many conference championchips in football have they won?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

They built their brand being a 10 wins a season program outside of the shadow of the Big 12.

I'm guessing that most years TCU competes against Tech and Baylor for recruits.

They did well in their non-AQ conference with that caliber of recruit and I predict that will level out and eventually drop if forced to play UT/OU/OSU/Tech etc in all in the same year.

I just don't see them recruiting better in the Big 12 when they have to go head to head with the big boys. If I'm not mistaken even Baylor has better or comperable home attendance for their non-conference games (when they're losing) than TCU does when they are winning.

TCU just went back to where they were 20 years ago, the red-headed step child of a good conference. Do you think all of the sudden they are going to out recruit UT and OU? Not happening. They may compete for a while, but they won't ever be the B12 champion, and when they begin to lose they will fall and fall hard. Baylor was one of the better SWC teams when they moved to the B12, how many conference championchips in football have they won?

This isn't yesterdays era of football. With increased media exposure through the Internet & cable/sat TV, along with scholarship limits, teams like TCU can, have, & will continue to succeed.

• Upvote 1

They won't be a the team you're saying. Tho they also won't be a TX or OU. However that being said I believe the third best football team in the conference belongs to TCU. Baylor is having their couple of years and Tech will have their couple of years but I think top to bottom when it is all done TCU will be number 3 on that list after TX and OU. With that I certainly think its realistic that TCU can go to another BCS game. Tho I do think that had they stayed in the Big East they probably would have been able to fight it out with WVU just about every year to get to a BCS game.

This isn't yesterdays era of football. With increased media exposure through the Internet & cable/sat TV, along with scholarship limits, teams like TCU can, have, & will continue to succeed.

With the exception of maybe USC and Miami, small private schools with small fan bases do not compete at the highest level, this has and will continue. Players still want to play and attend UT, OSU, OU and probably TT before TCU. TCU is Baylor, they can be good, but they won't be the best team in the Big12 every year. They probably go 8-4 this year and 8-4 or 7-5 next year in the Big12 and then that Rose Bowl win is forgotten and they will be good, but not upper echelon.