Playing McNulty Is Stupid!

UNTLifer

1) McNulty has almost no chance of being the starter in 4 (or 5 years). Play him as needed and his scholarship will be available a year earlier.

2) Osburn did get in - For 1 play when DT left with a gimp.

3) Quit worrying about back-up QBs. For 2011, at least, UNT wins or loses with Thompson.

4) Burning DT's red-shirt for one series in an already lost game was the dumbest thing I saw Dodge do, and Todd Dodge did a lot of really dumb things.

5) God bless Texas!

1) McNulty has almost no chance of being the starter in 4 (or 5 years). Play him as needed and his scholarship will be available a year earlier.

2) Osburn did get in - For 1 play when DT left with a gimp.

3) Quit worrying about back-up QBs. For 2011, at least, UNT wins or loses with Thompson.

4) Burning DT's red-shirt for one series in an already lost game was the dumbest thing I saw Dodge do, and Todd Dodge did a lot of really dumb things.

5) God bless Texas!

Osborn did not go in for one play. They had him warm up on the sidelines but did not put him in the game.

Personally, I think this is a good discussion to have. I don't mind playing McNulty, and getting someone ready NOW in case Thompson is hurt or something, so the redshirt thought is no problem for me. I just wonder about the decisions as to when they put McNulty into the game. Sending in a "cold" QB, and col;d QB, in critical game situations is not my idea of how to get a kid ready to play.

BUT, I think I'll leave this up to Coach Mac and Coach Canales. UNT has three QB's...all young. So, I don't think there will be a QB problem any time soon such as we are now facing with so many youngsters...well, two anyway. I'll bet there is a QB or two on the recruiting radar screen as well. These kids usually do not come to any team with the hopes of sitting out a full year. They want to compete and they want to play.

For me, I don't think Coach Mac "owes" me any explanation. Now, I'd like to hear what he has to say about the timing of the McNulty "experiences" simply because I think it would be interesting to learn what the thought process is about this sort of thing from an experienced coach. But, "owe me", I think not on that concept. Would I appreciate it, yes, certainly.

Everyone knows, you can send that question in through Facebook for the Coach Mac show this evening, right? Two-three questions get asked and answered from facebook submissions every show. Maybe we'll hear some of the thinking on these situations tonight. Tune in or show up and let's hope we hear something.

The question I would like to ask is, who called that pass play that Thompson threw for the "pick six" with UNT up 24-0 and needing to run the clock? Ha! Me, I'd rather punt after a three and out in that situation and let them "eat clock" trying to score. But, that's just me, and I don't get paid the "big bucks" to make that decision. I did see Coach mac in Chico's ear after that play. You think he was saying something like...."wow, super call...let's do that again when we get the ball back"????

It was a great day for the Mean Green Nation and I look at the comeback by Indiana this way...what a good deal for the coaches come practice this week. The win can be celebrated, but they still have things to "talk about" with the team...like how to finish off a win, how to not take leads for granted, how to not get too confident, etc., etc. Lots of "film day" mistakes in that last 15 min. to keep the team a bit humble going into the Tulsa game. That "silver lining" thing for the coaches after having to endure that 4th quarter.

GREAT seeing the students rush the field. Great day in total for the Mean Green nation...bring on Tulsa!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

McNulty isn't our QB for the future.

I'm saving this for posterity.

I happen to think Andrew McNulty will be a damned fine quarterback and if he's not I'll take my lumps.

That said, considering how well the wildcat with James Hamilton I too did not understand plugging a true freshman in cold.

And Lifer, we're in no position to be red-shirting players who can contribute...I feel we have this conversation with you every year...looking at the participation report it appears 8 true freshmen played, 2 started...Lemon, Stojkovic, Warner, Lee, Mason, Lincoln, Akunne, McNulty...by my count that still leaves 10 true freshmen on the roster who still have their red-shirts, I bet a few more (maybe Sampson and Micah Thompson) lose theirs at some point in the season, but basically 1/3-1/2 of last year's class will use this year as purely developmental. I'm fine with that.

Lets think through this for a second. What has Mac talked about in his recent past? He talked about Tim Tebow being one of the best leaders in the history of college football. What did Florida do with Tebow in his first year? They played him on short yardage and goal line situations...

He is trying to groom a leader. He sees something in McNulty as a Freshman. Time will tell here. Lets see.

I know we've only beaten maybe the worst AQ conf team in the country, but so far, I am going to trust in Mac.

Granted, I was willing to trust in Dodge for a period of time, so here's to destroying my own credibility one post at a time...

• Upvote 1

Is Coop a dual threat or pocket passer? Chico's offense would benefit greatly with a dual threat QB at the helm...

Just going off his bio on meangreensports:

"Was named District 6-2A MVP his senior season … Threw for 2,418 yards and 29 touchdowns and added six scores on the ground … Was nominated for the Army All-American Bowl and received honorable hention all-state honors … Was named first-team all-district as a defensive back and wide receiver in his sophomore season … In addition to being a four year letterwinner in football, Jones lettered four years in track and basketball, earning all-district honors on the hardwood his sophomore and junior years"

Seems like a pretty athletic fella and I'm excited about his future. However, I'm also very glad that we have DT. I think he is making huge improvements from week to week and he's only sophomore. He has showed big time leadership and grit playing through some obvious pain against IU. Furthermore, I think Chico is a good enough OC that he is capable of having a great offense with a dual threat or a pocket passer (see his use of the wildcat). In my opinion DT has been enough of a dual threat so far to make some plays on the zone read/QB draw.

I'm saving this for posterity.

I happen to think Andrew McNulty will be a damned fine quarterback and if he's not I'll take my lumps.

That said, considering how well the wildcat with James Hamilton I too did not understand plugging a true freshman in cold.

And Lifer, we're in no position to be red-shirting players who can contribute...I feel we have this conversation with you every year...looking at the participation report it appears 8 true freshmen played, 2 started...Lemon, Stojkovic, Warner, Lee, Mason, Lincoln, Akunne, McNulty...by my count that still leaves 10 true freshmen on the roster who still have their red-shirts, I bet a few more (maybe Sampson and Micah Thompson) lose theirs at some point in the season, but basically 1/3-1/2 of last year's class will use this year as purely developmental. I'm fine with that.

Glad to have the conversation with you again. Sorry this discussion is such a problem, but I think McNulty could be a very good QB in the future also. If that is the case, then why in the world are we burning his redshirt for a series or two each game? That is my question.

I think DT is our starter for the year and Osborn has shown the ability to also move the team. Those would be my #1 and #2 quarterbacks, and they are very close in talent from what I have seen. I would bring Hamilton in to run the Wildcat in special situations and not play McNulty unless DT and Osborn are injured. McNulty gets to learn the system, mature physically and you save a year of eligibility.

QB is different from every other position. I have no problem with us playing Stojikovic, Warner, Lemon, etc... The QB position is the toughest transition from one level to the next, Jr. High to High School, High School to college and college to the pros.

Glad to have the conversation with you again. Sorry this discussion is such a problem, but I think McNulty could be a very good QB in the future also. If that is the case, then why in the world are we burning his redshirt for a series or two each game? That is my question.

I think DT is our starter for the year and Osborn has shown the ability to also move the team. Those would be my #1 and #2 quarterbacks, and they are very close in talent from what I have seen. I would bring Hamilton in to run the Wildcat in special situations and not play McNulty unless DT and Osborn are injured. McNulty gets to learn the system, mature physically and you save a year of eligibility.

QB is different from every other position. I have no problem with us playing Stojikovic, Warner, Lemon, etc... The QB position is the toughest transition from one level to the next, Jr. High to High School, High School to college and college to the pros.

We burn his shirt because he can contribute...keep in mind he does have both our first offensive touchdown and the first ever touchdown at Apogee under his belt. I'm willing to bet he puts more points up on the board somehow this season.

We burn his shirt because he brings something new...Hamilton wildcat is a run...no matter what. DT, despite the yards he gets running down hill on a QB draw, is essentially a pocket passer. McNulty can run and throw...that means that zone read option has to be defended in 3 different ways. This offense works with a running QB...and I think Chico and The Mac want to see if McNulty can be that guy moving forward.

You burn his shirt because your 2 injuries away from the only QB on your roster with game experience is now a wide receiver.

Lastly, we burn his shirt because if he contributes now...and helps the team win...we'll be hopefully recruiting kids that make whether or not McNulty is on campus for 4 or 5 years a moot point because he'll be a nice senior back-up to some high school phenom. You know what would be awesome? Cooper Jones never sees a snap here.

If the argument is playing McNulty when Mac did...I'm right with you in thinking it was foolish. But right now we NEED to see what everyone on this roster can bring. McNulty has already contributed...his next few offerings haven't been nearly as fruitful...part on him, part on circumstance...but again, I'll go on record and say McNulty's play will directly lead to at least another touchdown this season.

He has yet to throw. I wouldn't be as down on the decision if he would throw the ball so that it is somewhat of a threat.

He's actually 0/4...0/1 against Houston, 0/3 against Alabama...I know those numbers are an odd support for my stance, but the threat has been at least established with these attempts.

He's actually 0/4...0/1 against Houston, 0/3 against Alabama...I know those numbers are an odd support for my stance, but the threat has been at least established with these attempts.

And he hasn't looked good throwing the ball, so he really isn't a dual threat. I would say Thompson's 3.7 net yards per carry poses a bigger threat than McNulty's 1.8. Plus, he is a threat to throw just not to complete the pass. Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this.

fair enough, but since he isn't completing passes, then he isn't really a threat to throw. And the defenses seem to know that.