Games like this week...

SHOSS

Will we ever be able to compete/win a game against an opponent like this? You know against the number 2 team in the country from the SEC with the nation's best defense?

These weeks are like watching a train wreck to me... I watch cause I can't help myself, but I know the results are going to be horrible at best...Just no injuries...

Anyways, Go Mean Green, and F the bottom 10.

• Upvote 1

If we are ever competitive against teams of Bama's caliber, it would take at least a decade of improvement IMO. Not saying it won't ever happen, but we all know that to ever become close to the level of SEC talent, we need to get out of the Sun Belt first of all. Let's take the baby steps of shooting for a bowl game bid first before we worry about booking a trip to the national championship game. GMG

Edited by meangreen

The reason I hate games like this week is that, in building their program into a winner, Kansas State didn't schedule a bunch of money games. They went with I-AAs and common strength I-As at home. It worked.

I just don't see - and probably never will - the benefit to the mindset of a team like ours scheduling a sure loss.

Winning helps the confidence of a team, no matter who the opponent is. We were sky high after beating Ball State a couple of seasons ago. Ball State!

We need more winnable games. Houston and Indiana are fine. Alabama, Texas, LSU, Arkansas, OU, etc. - not so much.

• Upvote 4

If I'm not mistaken, these kinds of games - althought the outlook isn't pretty - has to do a lot with the money. I don't know how much we are paying to have you guys comes down, but I'm sure it's quite a bit of money. A few years ago we paid a team more money than they brought into their program the entire previous year.

And besides, you never know what could happen. App State beating Michigan was one of the biggest upsets of all time, and if you ask their players if it was worth it I'd imagine the answer might be yes :).

If I'm not mistaken, these kinds of games - althought the outlook isn't pretty - has to do a lot with the money. I don't know how much we are paying to have you guys comes down, but I'm sure it's quite a bit of money. A few years ago we paid a team more money than they brought into their program the entire previous year.

And besides, you never know what could happen. App State beating Michigan was one of the biggest upsets of all time, and if you ask their players if it was worth it I'd imagine the answer might be yes :).

yes it is the money.

I can't imagine that these games are any fun for you guys either really. This is like a bi-week that hurts your strength of schedule... anyways, the only good showing we have had(to my recollection) for one of these games in the last 15 years or so is when we held UT to a scoreless 2nd half...so we lost like 31 to 0.

Our program has been bottoming out for the last 3 years or so, and an appy state recurrence in this situation would be the biggest upset in the history of college football... michigan wasn't very good(by their standards) and appy state was a very solid team at that point in time. lots of transfers from div 1 schools that helped boost their talent level.

I appreciate the encouragement, but it is even more unrealistic than normal this year.

no injuries.

• Upvote 1

The reason I hate games like this week is that, in building their program into a winner, Kansas State didn't schedule a bunch of money games. They went with I-AAs and common strength I-As at home. It worked.

I just don't see - and probably never will - the benefit to the mindset of a team like ours scheduling a sure loss.

Winning helps the confidence of a team, no matter who the opponent is. We were sky high after beating Ball State a couple of seasons ago. Ball State!

We need more winnable games. Houston and Indiana are fine. Alabama, Texas, LSU, Arkansas, OU, etc. - not so much.

Both Kansas State and Boise built their teams against weaker opponents. Boise began scheduling stronger teams when its program had advanced to the point where they could be competitive. I wish we would/could take the same approach. I differ on UT or A&M. Play them anytime. I look forward to returning to the point where we could give them a scare on the field, if not beat them. Fry, in his early days, had the benefit of playing teams such as UTA, West Texas State, and Drake (1973) and Lamar, Drake, West Texas State and Wichita State (1974). Those teams back then where equivalent to Texas State or Sam Houston State today in terms of competitiveness.

A few things:

1.) K-State had the ability to dumb-down their OOC schedules for years because they had the luxury of playing home games each year against Oklahoma, Nebraska, Colorado, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Missouri, and Iowa State. Some of those teasm were national champions, finished in the top ten regularly, or were bitter rivals that were close to Manhattan. If we tried to dumb-down our schedule in OOC for us to win, it would be horrendous to our athletic department, just because our SBC brethren literally bring nothing to our gate. The games against UH, Tulsa, SMU, La Tech, Rice, and the academies are perfect for OOC but even those games don't pay for women's soccer and golf the way one of these bodybag games do, which leads to point #2...

2.) Our OOC bodybag games have been scheduled incorrectly. We should never play an SEC powerhouse because they literally are the best that college football has to offer. Arky State figured this out--they have played tough games at Iowa and Illinois over the last few years and got paid. When they have played Auburn, they get blown out and crushed and paid, too. The Big Ten, Big East, Pac-12, and ACC are full of teams that will pay us to come there and play, but they at least give yourself a chance to compete, unlike this week's game. Basically I would ignore playing any big-time SEC school (everyone but Kentucky, Vandy, and the Mississippi schools), as well Oklahoma and Florida State from outside of the SEC. Obviously, the other big dogs in the Big Ten, Pac-12, etc..could easily put a huge beatdown on us (especially now), too, but watching MTSU barely lose at Purdue, Arky State giving Illinois a decent game, having seen Arky State almost beat Iowa a few years back, Troy giving Ohio State a game a few years back and remembering the great Appy State win over Michigan just makes me realize how much better your chances are of competing with those Rust Belt teams that are less athletic than the teams from the South.

3.) Boise State used their location and their city to build up a winner. They literally have no competition for their product. If you look at their scheduling, it was easy to do because their support and attendance was strong from the start. The closest NFL/MLB town is Seattle, the closest NBA town is Portland, and the closest AQ teams were in Washington and Oregon, and they scheduled--and beat--each of those teams in that region.

• Upvote 1

We are only playing one "body bag game" this year. We used to have to play 2 or 3 per year during the 90's. It is not the one loss to the major powerhouse program that is going to keep us from growing the program. The losses to the Houston's, Tulsa's, etc. that we are trying to be like hurt more. These are the teams we are recruiting against and are in the conferences that we want to be in.

• Upvote 1

Will we ever be able to compete/win a game against an opponent like this? You know against the number 2 team in the country from the SEC with the nation's best defense?

These weeks are like watching a train wreck to me... I watch cause I can't help myself, but I know the results are going to be horrible at best...Just no injuries...

I know several on this board get tired of us "old guys" saying this...BUT UNT did win some games like this and play very competitively in others of this caliber with Fry as head coach. So, to answer your question, YES INDEED!

Keep the faith. The Mean Green nation is rising and all will again see the greatness of what can be the Mean Green. And, I am personally not giving up on the current team or players. These kids can play and they will give it all they have Saturday against 'Bama.

Last year's OOC schedule is the kind that we need to have each year. Clemson is a big time program with a better than average record the past 20 years where we'd generate some headlines with a win. It would still take quite a bit to beat them, but not nearly as much as an Alabama or OU. Rice, Army, and Kansas State are all very winnable games.

I'm mostly curious about given the same schedule in year 4, could Mac go 11-1 or run the table? That's what it's going to take for us to begin recruiting athletes who actually would be competitive in games like this Saturday.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 1

Last year's OOC schedule is the kind that we need to have each year. Clemson is a big time program with a better than average record the past 20 years that would gain respect. It would still take quite a bit to beat them, but not nearly as much as an Alabama or OU. Rice, Army, and Kansas State are all very winnable games.

I'm mostly curious about given the same schedule in year 4, could Mac go 11-1 or run the table? That's what it's going to take for us to begin recruiting athletes who actually would be competitive in games like this Saturday.

That is the hope and the belief among some of us right now.

I am not surprised or disappointed that it is going to take some time. I wish it were otherwise. On the other hand, we have nowhere to go but up. Even UTEP, which at one point was synonymous with incompetent football (19 wins and 119 losses from 1973 through 1985, including 8 years with 0 or 1 wins and 4 with only 2 wins), managed to dig itself out some and even end up in a decent conference.

Good post SHOSS. Last night after the podcast Evan and I were discussing this bleh feeling we had and surmised it was due to the comedown from the high of the Apogee opener to the reality facing us in the Alabama game. You want to have hope but the odds are stacked against us pretty heavy against us against this type of team. That said, Louisiana Monroe pulled off the upset against Alabama not that long ago so its not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

Good post SHOSS. Last night after the podcast Evan and I were discussing this bleh feeling we had and surmised it was due to the comedown from the high of the Apogee opener to the reality facing us in the Alabama game. You want to have hope but the odds are stacked against us pretty heavy against us against this type of team. That said, Louisiana Monroe pulled off the upset against Alabama not that long ago so its not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

Ummm....I'm gonna go ahead and say that its out of the realm of possibility. For this game to even be within 2 TDs is out of the realm of possibility. That Bama team that lost to ULM won 6 games in Saban's first season. This Bama team could be their best in decades, including the one that won the title two years ago. The only thing we have going for us is that USUALLY Saban doesn't run up the score. I doubt it will get to 77-0, although it easily could if they kept after it for 4 quarters. Just make sure that funds get wired to the right account and that it gets there in good standing. Praying for no injuries...

I'll take one money game a year.

But we do need to start scheduling some opponents that we can be competetive with and beat so we don't go into conference play 0-4

like Tulsa (X2), Rice (X2), Ball State, Army (2X), Ohio, & Indiana?

I think the schedules over the past 3-4 years have been super balanced and have provided UNT with all kinds of opportunities to win. We've only capitalized once though.

• Upvote 1

I guess being there at the OU schalacking, watching the UT and Alabama beatings, along with pissing away a horrible game against Rice, and an OT heart breaker against Ohio have skewed my mind...

I guess we really only do take one or two money games a year...

Unfortunately, they can stick in the memory. I still prefer holding off on money games until we get some success again. But, that is my own personal preference. I was at the home openers against Indiana State (41-6), Nicholls State (23-0) and Abilene Christian (48-0). Frankly, I think they left the crowd feeling much better than a loss. Besides, the victory over Nicholls State was the win that kept the team together until they could get their act together in early October and work their way to the New Orleans Bowl in 2002.

2.) Our OOC bodybag games have been scheduled incorrectly. We should never play an SEC powerhouse because they literally are the best that college football has to offer. Arky State figured this out--they have played tough games at Iowa and Illinois over the last few years and got paid. When they have played Auburn, they get blown out and crushed and paid, too. The Big Ten, Big East, Pac-12, and ACC are full of teams that will pay us to come there and play, but they at least give yourself a chance to compete, unlike this week's game. Basically I would ignore playing any big-time SEC school (everyone but Kentucky, Vandy, and the Mississippi schools), as well Oklahoma and Florida State from outside of the SEC. Obviously, the other big dogs in the Big Ten, Pac-12, etc..could easily put a huge beatdown on us (especially now), too, but watching MTSU barely lose at Purdue, Arky State giving Illinois a decent game, having seen Arky State almost beat Iowa a few years back, Troy giving Ohio State a game a few years back and remembering the great Appy State win over Michigan just makes me realize how much better your chances are of competing with those Rust Belt teams that are less athletic than the teams from the South.

This x 1,000,000