One request

jdennis82

Watching last night, I couldn't help but think, "OK, what if this happens next week?"

Obviously, it would be incredibly disappointing and I don't expect to see a repeat, but because we've seen similar efforts at Fouts during the Dodge era, we have some idea of how the game day experience is impacted.

Two specific areas come to mind:

1. Fireworks...

I can understand the need to follow through on the promise to shoot off fireworks as an effort to be "family friendly", so I will overlook the awkwardness of exiting the stadium after a loss with fireworks exploding overhead.

2. Boomer...

In recent years, during games where there's little to get excited about, Boomer was known to fire off for a big 3rd or 4th down, a turnover, a punt downed at the 2, or to punctuate the successful breaking of a huddle (OK, that last one's a joke since huddles were so rare). On the board, I was presented various reasons as to why that might be necessary. My request is simple:

Please, those who operate Boomer, stick to using it on scoring plays only!

If we're using the new stadium as a way to affirm football tradition, can we please stick to scoring plays?

Thanks,

Silly Shags

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2. Boomer...

In recent years, during games where there's little to get excited about, Boomer was known to fire off for a big 3rd or 4th down, a turnover, a punt downed at the 2, or to punctuate the successful breaking of a huddle (OK, that last one's a joke since huddles were so rare). On the board, I was presented various reasons as to why that might be necessary. My request is simple:

Boomer is only used on opening kickoff, scoring plays, and at the end of quarters.

1. Fireworks...

I can understand the need to follow through on the promise to shoot off fireworks as an effort to be "family friendly", so I will overlook the awkwardness of exiting the stadium after a loss with fireworks exploding overhead.

I told my daughter last night's score, to which, without missing a beat, she replied, "So...more fireworks of shame, then?"

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Watching last night, I couldn't help but think, "OK, what if this happens next week?"

Obviously, it would be incredibly disappointing and I don't expect to see a repeat, but because we've seen similar efforts at Fouts during the Dodge era, we have some idea of how the game day experience is impacted.

Two specific areas come to mind:

1. Fireworks...

2. Boomer...

If we're using the new stadium as a way to affirm football tradition, can we please stick to scoring plays?

Thanks,

Silly Shags

1000 times this. No reason to fire Boomer just to show it's power. Please, don't make our program feel like even more a joke by taking a rough game and turning it into play time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1000 times this. No reason to fire Boomer just to show it's power. Please, don't make our program feel like even more a joke by taking a rough game and turning it into play time.

Most, if not all, schools with cannon, fire at the end of quarters as well.

Edited by CMJ

After a 28-0 first quarter I think I'd prefer not hear boomer as we slump our heads to the restrooms.

Everyone has their windmill. You have Boomer. Some have tortillas. Rick has shotgun handoffs. I have PR. KRAM has vegans. LoveMG has everything that ever happens. It's fun that way.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Obviously, it would be incredibly disappointing and I don't expect to see a repeat, but because we've seen similar efforts at Fouts during the Dodge era, we have some idea of how the game day experience is impacted....

Uh, get ready. If you think FIU moved the ball with ease against us, you're in for a shock.

we've seen similar efforts at Fouts during the Dodge era, we have some idea of how the game day experience is impacted.

I missed this portion of your post. With the new no-reentry, no tailgating during the game policies, if the score is 42-0 at half, which given last night's defensive performance with Houston's high powered offense, is a not unimaginable scenario, I'm curious what the stands and parking lots will look like in the third quarter.

Threads like this is what you get when people forget what it was like to win.

I hate the Fireworks Celebration of Shame as much as the next person, and they will be a part of the post game this year too. But think back on some of the memorable wins like Baylor in '03 and you would realize how much fun they will be when winning returns.

As for Boomer, just think of it as the audible punctuation mark for certain periods of time.

Rick