FIU Stadium

NT80

So how do they get away with having an $18k stadium? Isn't there a minimum 30k stadium required?

$18K? It's small, but not that small. (Ya accidentally snuck a '$' in there, didn't ya.)

Seriously, there was a 30K seating requirement at one point (like when UNT returned to I-A), but I think that was removed later.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad

I thought it was a crap on another schools stadium thread. Looks like a nice Sun Belt stadium to me. It will not affect the quality of play by FIU this year.

After Fouts it's probably the worst stadium in the conference. Who builds a stadium with no pressbox?

The main point was the size; it's so small that the crowd should not be a factor for us. Usually our opening road games for new head coaches are in 80,000 seat venues.

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Negative.

I have seeing the stadium up close and those 18,000 fans are going to be on top of the players yelling like heck to get the Panthers to New Orleans. They feel robbed from last year and they went and won a bowl game. Their bookstore was well stocked with cool Panther gear and their was an exciting buzz on the campus when I was there in February. I can imagine the first week of school with a nationally televised game in the middle of the week. North Texas is going to have its hands full make no doubt about it. Panther pride is at an all time high. I get weekly Panther gear promotions from somehow signing up for their digest. This environment will most likely be like a game at TCU with half the crowd - intense and on top of the players.

It will be fun and our Mean Green can still win out there, but those students and fans will be geeked and ready to start their march to New Orleans.

GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I wonder if this is an old stats page. Someone on the Belt board wrote that the stadium had a capacity of 22K or something after a recent renovation. Maybe that is with people standing? They hosted Rutgers last year and the official attendance was like 20K.

Those guys have an unfinished stadium, the visiting bleachers are just small area. It was built on an expedited schedule to help them move up to Div IA for the Belt.

Also - that 30K capacity rule is long gone. Hasn't existed in a decade. There is no stadium capacity rule anymore - only an attendance rule that you must average 15K "sold" tickets over a rolling period of time. They don't even require those seats to have butts in them anymore. All those old rules have changed which is why you see schools like Texas State moving up to FBS with smaller stadiums.

Negative.

I have seeing the stadium up close and those 18,000 fans are going to be on top of the players yelling like heck to get the Panthers to New Orleans. They feel robbed from last year and they went and won a bowl game. Their bookstore was well stocked with cool Panther gear and their was an exciting buzz on the campus when I was there in February. I can imagine the first week of school with a nationally televised game in the middle of the week. North Texas is going to have its hands full make no doubt about it. Panther pride is at an all time high. I get weekly Panther gear promotions from somehow signing up for their digest. This environment will most likely be like a game at TCU with half the crowd - intense and on top of the players.

It will be fun and our Mean Green can still win out there, but those students and fans will be geeked and ready to start their march to New Orleans.

GMG

Love the spirit and agree completely that FIU is on the rise - one small correction - this is not a nationally televised game. It is being shown on the internet (ESPN3.com). There will be another Belt school playing on National TV that same night though... Kentucky is travelling to Western Kentucky and play at 8:15 pm on ESPNU.

Love the spirit and agree completely that FIU is on the rise - one small correction - this is not a nationally televised game. It is being shown on the internet (ESPN3.com). There will be another Belt school playing on National TV that same night though... Kentucky is travelling to Western Kentucky and play at 8:15 pm on ESPNU.

WKU & Kentucky play in Nashville, TN. Doesn't show as a "home game" for either.

WKU & Kentucky play in Nashville, TN. Doesn't show as a "home game" for either.

According to Sun Belt Official Website:

2011 Sun Belt Conference Composite TV Schedule

Updated: 07/25/2011 11:27:33 (ET)

By Sun Belt Conference

Share |

September 1

* North Texas at FIU - 6 p.m. (ESPN3)

(1) Kentucky at Western Kentucky - 8:15 p.m. (ESPNU)

September 3

Middle Tennessee at Purdue - 11:00 a.m. (Big Ten Network)

Arkansas State at Illinois - 2:30 p.m. (Big Ten Network)

Louisiana-Monroe at Florida State - 2:30 p.m. (ESPNU)

Troy at Clemson - 2:30 p.m. (ESPN3)

Florida Atlantic at Florida - 6 p.m. (ESPNU)

September 9

FIU at Louisville - 6 p.m. (ESPN)

September 10

Florida Atlantic at Michigan State - 11 a.m. (ESPN/ESPN2)

Houston at North Texas - 6 p.m. (ESPN3)

Georgia Tech at Middle Tennessee - 6 p.m. (ESPN3)

Navy at Western Kentucky - 6 p.m. (ESPN3)

September 17

Louisiana-Monroe at TCU - 1 p.m. (The Mtn.)

Arkansas State at Virginia Tech - 3 p.m. (Fox Sports Net)

Central Florida at FIU - 5 p.m. (ESPN3)

North Texas at Alabama - 6:30 p.m. (FSN)

Troy at Arkansas 6:30 p.m. (CSS)

September 24

Indiana at North Texas - 6 p.m. (ESPN3)

Central Arkansas at Arkansas State - 7 p.m. (KATV/ESPN3)

* Middle Tennessee at Troy - 3:30 p.m. (Sun Belt Network)

Florida Atlantic at Auburn (Network TBD)

October 1

Duke at FIU - 5 p.m. (ESPN3)

* Arkansas State at Western Kentucky - 3 p.m. (Sun Belt Network)

Memphis at Middle Tennessee - 6 p.m. - (ESPN3)

October 6

* Western Kentucky at Middle Tennessee - 6:30 p.m. (ESPNU)

October 8

* Florida Atlantic at North Texas 6:30 p.m. (Sun Belt Network)

October 15

* Louisiana-Monroe at Troy - TBA (Sun Belt Network)

October 18

* FIU at Arkansas State - 7 p.m. (ESPN2)

October 22

* Middle Tennessee at Florida Atlantic - 7 p.m. (Sun Belt Network)

October 25

* Troy at FIU - 7 p.m. (ESPN2)

October 29

* Louisiana-Lafayette at Middle Tennessee - 6:30 p.m. (Sun Belt Network)

November 5

Troy at Navy - 2:30 p.m. (CBS Sports Network)

* Louisiana-Monroe at Louisiana-Lafayette -2:30 p.m. (Sun Belt Network)

Middle Tennessee at Tennessee (Network TBD)

November 12 - Sun Belt Network Wildcard Week - 12:00 p.m.

* Louisiana-Lafayette at Arkansas State

Or * North Texas at Troy

Or * Florida Atlantic at FIU

Or * Middle Tennessee at Louisiana-Monroe

Western Kentucky at LSU (Network TBD) - 7 p.m.

November 19 - Sun Belt Network Wildcard Week - TBA

* Florida Atlantic at Troy

Or * FIU at Louisiana-Monroe

Or * Western Kentucky at North Texas

* Arkansas State at Middle Tennessee - TBA (ESPN3)

November 26 - Sun Belt Network Wildcard Week - 6:30 p.m.

* Troy at Western Kentucky

Or * FIU at Middle Tennessee

Or UAB at Florida Atlantic

December 3 - Sun Belt Network Wildcard Week - 4:30 p.m.

* Louisiana-Monroe at Florida Atlantic

Or * Troy at Arkansas State

Or * Middle Tennessee at North Texas

All times Central (CT) and subject to change

* denotes Sun Belt Conference game

TV carrier in parenthesis - additional TV games to be announced

(1) denotes game to be played at LP Field - Nashville, Tenn.

For the last four weeks of the 11 game Sun Belt Network schedule a wild card selection will take place to show that week's most compelling game.

About the Sun Belt Network

The Sun Belt Conference ventured into extraordinary deal with regional sport network partners Comcast Sports Southeast (CSS) and Cox Sports Television (CST) in the summer of 2009 to form the Sun Belt Network for regional conference television broadcasts.

The 2011 football season will be the third of a four year marketing, promotion and syndication agreement with CSS and CST that goes through the 2012-13 academic year.

The agreement between the three parties will results in the broadcasting of football, men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball, volleyball, and softball contests throughout the upcoming year.

Through additional distribution agreements the reach of the Sun Belt Network has expanded in the states of Texas (Texas Channel and Charter Denton), Florida (Bright House) and Kentucky (WKYU). These supplementary distributions beyond CSS and CST provide Sun Belt Network broadcasts to over 15 million households during football season throughout the southeast.

The Sun Belt Network football game of the week will be available in 13 states across the southeast and is often available on ESPN3.com and ESPN GamePlan outside of the CSS and CST markets.

I would consider ESPN3 nationally televised. It's a subscription network (ATT), just like you pay for your cable (ESPN), right?

It's only nitpick, but I would love to hear counterpoint.

Personally I don't consider anything televised that's not on television.

Beyond that, "nationally televised" used to mean on network television (e.g., ABC, NBC, CBS). I found it amusing when games on obscure cable networks began to be considered "nationally televised."

• Upvote 2

If ESPN is "Nationally Televised" then there are about 50-100 Nationally televised teams in the first week of college football.

I saw a billboard on my way home today that proclaimed: "RICE vs Longhorns Exclusively on the Longhorn Network!"

Is that "Nationally Televised"?

Do you think Rice fans would have rather scheduled someone else so the fans that don't make the trip could watch on ESPN3 or FSN-SW?