Dear Glad To Be Green,

Despite the risk of going against popular opionion I give you this argument:

I think the broadcasting of the game in spanish is a good idea. I do think there is a very real risk though of alienating a large part of the fanbase if it goes any farther than that with things like spanish jerseys. I think, at least from a marketing perspective, it is important to realize that something like that could upset people, especially with a sport like American football, and at the college level.

this.

• Upvote 2

on a serious note... seeing UNT wearing Jerseys that said 'Verde Malo' would make my lifetime... I would buy one of those as soon as they were at the new store in the stadium

Solid plan, I'd support 'Verde Malo' jersey's, game broadcasts in spanish, the whole nine. We've always prided ourselves on diversity as a university, yet another example of our committment.

Marketing is about spreading your message/product to your intended audience. The ethnic majority is a novel place to start.

Texas already broadcasts in spanish down here in Austin. I actually enjoy listening to it over our alumnus Craig Way. It burns me that he bleeds orange doesn't want anything to do with us.

They called Colt McCoy "Pistolas McCoy".

Can you say pay check. And Craig is proud of his Mean Green roots, but he's paid to cheer for Tu.

• Upvote 3

I know from going to cook outs with my wife's family and friends that Mexicans are no different than White people. We all like to drink beer, eat grilled flank steak, karaoke, have sex with our wives, ...

This is SO true. I also enjoy drinking beer, eating grilled flank steak, and having sex with your wives. :lol:

I keed, I keed

Despite the risk of going against popular opionion I give you this argument:

I think the broadcasting of the game in spanish is a good idea. I do think there is a very real risk though of alienating a large part of the fanbase if it goes any farther than that with things like spanish jerseys. I think, at least from a marketing perspective, it is important to realize that something like that could upset people, especially with a sport like American football, and at the college level.

As I said, I think I am going against popular opinion here, but it just seems like something to be very careful with...Except for the Spanish language TV, which is a great idea.

Most of this debate always seems to go back to a much larger social and political issue, but I'm trying to avoid that and just stick to marketing.

By the way, Why the dislike for Chivas??? You must be a Club America fan?....I've been a Tigres UANL fan since I got to meet the team (by chance) at the Boston Airport.

I understand where you're coming from. Regionally, we are in conservative waters politically. That much I understand.

But, I also understand - which is why I couched this thing in future terms - that we Gringos are not repopulating Texas or anywhere else as quickly as our Hispanic friends.

Because of my marital situation, I've been exposed to the immigrant culture here. And, let me tell you, for every immigrant here illegally committing crimes and whatnot, there are 100 more who are dedicated family people, just working, and who have disposable income readily available to spend - i.e., not tied up in accounts. They've got cold, hard cash on hand to spend.

My view is this - cut out nobody you can legitimately market to. Budweiser markets to people of all stripe. Turn on the television on Saturday morning - every damn car dealer in the Metroplex is hawking their wares with one male Mexican and one leggy, female Mexican talking at the Mexicans. Grocery stores have ads all over those Spanish stations. Western Union is neck deep in marketing to them for wiring the money back home and making millions, if not billions, as a result.

I understand you're going to have some serious rednecks who might see "VERDE MALO" one time and go apesh*t. But, I think those people are less a part of the population than we're commonly led to believe. And, the upside is worth the risk.

I know there's a risk. But, in the end, that's business. Rick Villareal has taken some calculated risks. He's making this a business - the way other schools started doing 25 years ago.

We love UNT because we are graduates. But, in the end, in the 21st Century, it's a business. The academics are marketed. The athletics are marketed. Not all things in business are guarantees. You roll the dice sometimes.

This may look like a dice roll in the context of 24/7 overblown FOXNEWS versus MSNBC/CBS politics. But, I just don't think, football-wise, people really give it a second thought. If we're winning, and the stadium is full, I just don't think people will care whether the people cheering on UNT alongside them are Mexican, Korean, Vietnamese, Yankee, Canadian, or otherwise. Hell, Mr. Bean fell from the sky, and I'd love to have him as a UNT fan.

This isn't 1970s Darrell Royal finally recruiting blacks because he's tired of being run out of the Cotton Bowl by Switzer's Sooners full of guys Houston area guys and Texas like Joe Washington, Greg Pruitt, and Thomas Lott and strapping country boys like Kenny King, David Overstreet, and Billy Sims.

We live in an area of the country increasing hispanic. They have dollars to spend. They have families they take out to events as a family. We have events, and need of money.

If it weren't profitable to market to these folks, businesses all over the United States would be doing it. We happen to be sitting closest to the fire of it, so we need stick our iron in there.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

By the way, my Mexican fútbol preference is for León since my wife is from Guanajuato. But, they aren't in the top division. So, for FMF, I default down to Pachuca because that's where she went to school - and we have nephews and nieces currently in school there as well. Also, because Queretaro neighbors Guanajuato, I've also got some sympathies there with Queretaro FC.

As far as Club America - that's the favorite of one of our nieces who travels to the U.S. to visit more often than the rest. She gave me a Club America hat one Christmas. The next Christmas, other relatives bought me a Chivas hat to counter it.

So, it's like owning a Dallas Cowboy and a Washington Redskin hat.

You guys are getting slow: it took until the third page of the thread for the anti-Spanish/Mexican posts to arrive.

*sigh*

It's getting harder and harder to draw people offsides. The crack about BYU's redshirt sophomores drew fire earlier than the Spanish stuff. AND, NO LONGHORN DEFENDERS ANYMORE??? Sad. What has become of the old GMG.com?

Are we that corporate now that we have a new stadium? Is the mayhem gone? Is it because Tasty and Quoner post so little these days that senseless mayhem isn't even recognized anymore?

Will this forum simply breakdown into discussions of nothing more than dry talk of depth charts, strategy, "practice reports" and 40 times? Who are the administrators - Tom Osborn and Grant Teaff

Oh, momma!

20090830-212101-pic-955767926_t607.jpg

"...and, see, then in the 90s, for a couple of seasons, I got the NCAA to make it a rule where all a-teams' socks had to be the same color, AND that the socks had to be pulled up or it was a penalty...for the safety of the players, of course. We also made it so that Oklahoma and Miami players had to tuck in their shirts, or it was a penalty. I'd have won more games at Baylor, but was always distracted by the mayhem caused by our opponents' players looking so disheveled on the field of play, you see."

• Upvote 2

You guys are getting slow: it took until the third page of the thread for the anti-Spanish/Mexican posts to arrive.

*sigh*

It's getting harder and harder to draw people offsides. The crack about BYU's redshirt sophomores drew fire earlier than the Spanish stuff. AND, NO LONGHORN DEFENDERS ANYMORE??? Sad. What has become of the old GMG.com?

Are we that corporate now that we have a new stadium? Is the mayhem gone? Is it because Tasty and Quoner post so little these days that senseless mayhem isn't even recognized anymore?

Will this forum simply breakdown into discussions of nothing more than dry talk of depth charts, strategy, "practice reports" and 40 times? Who are the administrators - Tom Osborn and Grant Teaff

Oh, momma!

20090830-212101-pic-955767926_t607.jpg

"...and, see, then in the 90s, for a couple of seasons, I got the NCAA to make it a rule where all a-teams' socks had to be the same color, AND that the socks had to be pulled up or it was a penalty...for the safety of the players, of course. We also made it so that Oklahoma and Miami players had to tuck in their shirts, or it was a penalty. I'd have won more games at Baylor, but was always distracted by the mayhem caused by our opponents' players looking so disheveled on the field of play, you see."

How can wee reeeeeach these keeds???

• Upvote 1

I guess I'm not against the idea... down the road. I think first we need to gain market share of those who graduated UNT before we worry about marketing to those who have no connection to the university.

Success in the former would be a good indicator of success in the latter.

• Upvote 3