Who Tops Your Wish List?

emmitt01

Here's potentially the best player available in the nation, and potentially the biggest risk: 6-8 225 lb Power Forward Karron Johnson of Midland College (well, sort of Midland College, because he got kicked off the team in November).

Karron Johnson ESPN Profile

Rivals had Karron Johnson as the nation's top rated junior college player before the season. Had signed with Oklahoma State but was released from his LOI after OSU signed high school superstar Lebryan Nash

No known legal troubles. The kid is said to be an NBA type talent, but has been plagued throughout his career by an "adviser" that has constantly had him switching high schools and colleges.

The kid is very good at basketball, available, and plays a position where we have a need. He also has an established track record of constantly transferring and twice having been suspended from juco teams and even kicked off the team at Midland.

Could Johnny get this player to reach his potential? Is there too much risk of distractions caused by a rogue player? Is there already too much risk of players potentially not being eligible next season and therefore making another such player not worth the effort?

imagejpeg9522.jpg

Karron Johnson, but his mentor, James Black.

“Karron feels like when he was going through his trials and tribulations the only people that stuck with him through everything were Travis Ford and Butch Pierre,” Black said, referring to the Cowboys’ head coach and assistant. “They never gave up on him. He feels he needs to be loyal to them.” (Travis Ford at OSU has since released Johnson from his LOI)

Johnson has two years of Division 1 eligibility, but Black believes Johnson is so good that he could end up spending just one season at Oklahoma State before possibly going pro.

“Most likely he’ll only do one year at Oklahoma State,” Black said. “Karron’s going to be one of the premier players in college next year.”

Black said Johnson was also working hard in the class room and on his maturity to get things together.

“He has been working really hard on and off the court,” Black said. “He has really grown up.”

• Upvote 1

Here's potentially the best player available in the nation, and potentially the biggest risk: 6-8 225 lb Power Forward Karron Johnson of Midland College (well, sort of Midland College, because he got kicked off the team in November).

Karron Johnson ESPN Profile

Rivals had Karron Johnson as the nation's top rated junior college player before the season. Had signed with Oklahoma State but was released from his LOI after OSU signed high school superstar Lebryan Nash

No known legal troubles. The kid is said to be an NBA type talent, but has been plagued throughout his career by an "adviser" that has constantly had him switching high schools and colleges.

The kid is very good at basketball, available, and plays a position where we have a need. He also has an established track record of constantly transferring and twice having been suspended from juco teams and even kicked off the team at Midland.

Could Johnny get this player to reach his potential? Is there too much risk of distractions caused by a rogue player? Is there already too much risk of players potentially not being eligible next season and therefore making another such player not worth the effort?

imagejpeg9522.jpg

Karron Johnson, but his mentor, James Black.

“Karron feels like when he was going through his trials and tribulations the only people that stuck with him through everything were Travis Ford and Butch Pierre,” Black said, referring to the Cowboys’ head coach and assistant. “They never gave up on him. He feels he needs to be loyal to them.” (Travis Ford at OSU has since released Johnson from his LOI)

Johnson has two years of Division 1 eligibility, but Black believes Johnson is so good that he could end up spending just one season at Oklahoma State before possibly going pro.

“Most likely he’ll only do one year at Oklahoma State,” Black said. “Karron’s going to be one of the premier players in college next year.”

Black said Johnson was also working hard in the class room and on his maturity to get things together.

“He has been working really hard on and off the court,” Black said. “He has really grown up.”

plus 1! what a great find! how does midland get so many great bigs?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Johnson has went thru 6 different teams in as many years ( 3 HS , 2 JCs, OSU). If things dont' go his way , he bolts. He only lasted 8 or 9 games before he was kicked off the Midland team. Apparently he didn't start a game & got pissed about it. He's very talented , but I would stay away from that cancer

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Johnson has went thru 6 different teams in as many years ( 3 HS , 2 JCs, OSU). If things dont' go his way , he bolts. He only lasted 8 or 9 games before he was kicked off the Midland team. Apparently he didn't start a game & got pissed about it. He's very talented , but I would stay away from that cancer

Johnson makes Rod Flemings look like a pillar of stability.

When the consensus top JUCO in the country gets cut loose from his commitment for vague, mysterious reasons that nobody wants to fully explain, AND gets kicked off his JUCO team, AND seems to have no interest from any major programs... The red flags and alarms are all over.

For what it's worth, I think this kid is someone we would take a chance on...if we don't have Tony Mitchel in class, and LOIs from Williams, Franklin, Jones, Robinson, Norris and Walton.

Fortunately for us, our current signees allow us to be a little bit more conservative about who we offer on the last scholly.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't think we want this guy potentially being a role model for the freshmen coming in next year. Plus, maybe I dont have enough inside knowledge of the program, but I can't remember having a player with character issues on the team since jj took over. Maybe he chooses to stay away from them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Johnson makes Rod Flemings look like a pillar of stability.

When the consensus top JUCO in the country gets cut loose from his commitment for vague, mysterious reasons that nobody wants to fully explain, AND gets kicked off his JUCO team, AND seems to have no interest from any major programs... The red flags and alarms are all over.

I kinda threw this one out there as a wild card. Huge potential but such a loose cannon that I wonder if he'll ever play any division 1 ball.

Not a lot out there left , but ....

1) Dwight Miller

2) Kyan Anderson

3) Tre Davis ( might be available again)

4) KC Ross Miller :ph34r:

5) Ben Dillard

6 ) Luke Mergerson

7) Erron Chesterfield

I think if #1 doesn't work out , #4 will be coming to Denton

A quick update on this list

Anderson to TCU

Dillard to UALR

Mergerson to San Marcos (* maybe)

Nick Russell... won't be able to play until '12 but this guy is pretty good (yeah his stats kinda suk). I'm from Manhattan and watched a lot of K-State hoops, Frank tore him a new one every game. He just needs his confidence back and he'll be fine.

http://cjonline.com/sports/2011-05-03/k-states-russell-im-pretty-sure-im-transferring

Weird. Rivals shows UALR as Dillard's only offer. Wonder why?

One thing about rivals , it's only about 60% accurate ( if that)

We offered early , but I'm going to guess we wound up pulling the offer when Dillard waited it out. Also I think most teams probably backed off thinking he would wind up in Iowa with his pops

Edited by NT03

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another wild card that seems to be available:

6-11 and 340, Melvyn Oliver from Southwest Tennessee Junior College. Played freshman year at Seton Hall:

oliverjpeg-ae08bc2631a219b1_large.jpeg

from Clark Francis (Hoop Scoop) after Melvyn signed with Seton Hall:

Oliver is a physical specimen inside and is good

enough to step in right away and help move the Pirates

program into the upper echelon of the Big East

Conference. "Oliver is a skilled post player who take

up a lot of space inside, is a great rebounder,

excellent passer, and a good low post scorer," says

our Mississippi Editor Lavel Johnson, who was the

first person to tip us off about how good Oliver was

in prep school this winter.

Another report: This guy is very skilled can do things down low with a basketball that a lot of bigs Just can't do.. but...he was also suspended from his juco team for part of this past season.

Edited by ADLER

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, we have one 2011-2012 scholarship left, and are somewhat depleted at center with the departure of Ben Knox. This player may be able to address that deficiency:

BATON ROUGE – LSU men’s basketball player Garrett Green has decided to transfer to pursue graduate degree opportunities elsewhere, head coach Trent Johnson announced on Monday afternoon. In 2010-11, he averaged 6.3 points, 5.1 rebounds, while shooting 44.8% from the field. Green averaged 18.0 minutes per game and also led the team in rebounding eight times during the course of the year. As a graduate transfer, the 6-11" 230-lb center will be immediately eligible for the 2011-2012 season.

Green to transfer out of LSU

Garrett Green Bio

• Upvote 1

So, we have one 2011-2012 scholarship left, and are somewhat depleted at center with the departure of Ben Knox. This player may be able to address that deficiency:

BATON ROUGE – LSU men’s basketball player Garrett Green has decided to transfer to pursue graduate degree opportunities elsewhere, head coach Trent Johnson announced on Monday afternoon. In 2010-11, he averaged 6.3 points, 5.1 rebounds, while shooting 44.8% from the field. Green averaged 18.0 minutes per game and also led the team in rebounding eight times during the course of the year. As a graduate transfer, the 6-11" 230-lb center will be immediately eligible for the 2011-2012 season.

Garrett Green Bio

Nice catch. I wish he'd grown up in DFW...

Still no news on Trevor Fuller from San Diego. I know Cooley doesn't see him as an impact guy, but at this point I'd definitely be happy to pick him up.

Nice catch. I wish he'd grown up in DFW...

Still no news on Trevor Fuller from San Diego. I know Cooley doesn't see him as an impact guy, but at this point I'd definitely be happy to pick him up.

Don't know what to make of Fuller, but I would LOVE for JJ to flex his LSU connection to pull Green.

Garrett Green Bio

Well Indiana may be the team to beat for Garret Green's services. Like North Texas, the Hoosiers have an extra scholarship to burn. Unlike North Texas, Indiana would use Green as bench depth whereas he'd likely be the starter from day one at North Texas.

The question is; does Garret Green want to be an important part of a North Texas team that is expected to achieve record success this season, or have really good seats watching Indiana play?