Who Tops Your Wish List?

emmitt01

• 3 weeks later...

So, we have one 2011-2012 scholarship left, and are somewhat depleted at center with the departure of Ben Knox. This player may be able to address that deficiency:

BATON ROUGE – LSU men's basketball player Garrett Green has decided to transfer to pursue graduate degree opportunities elsewhere, head coach Trent Johnson announced on Monday afternoon. In 2010-11, he averaged 6.3 points, 5.1 rebounds, while shooting 44.8% from the field. Green averaged 18.0 minutes per game and also led the team in rebounding eight times during the course of the year. As a graduate transfer, the 6-11" 230-lb center will be immediately eligible for the 2011-2012 season.

Green to transfer out of LSU

Garrett Green Bio

Green to SDSU

• Upvote 2

Are we going to fill this last spot. Starting to get worried.

If we do, it will probably happen in the next week. At this point, I don't think we will.

The last time for high school recruits to take the ACT/SAT was in June (25th?). That was the last shot for some of the talented kids out there to get their qualifying score. Anyone who didn't get their score is finding out and won't have another chance.

And anyone who was finishing up hours during the summer semesters to graduate in and be eligible immediately (like Dez Willingham or Mangrum)... Well, the clock is running out there, too.

As far as D1 to D1 transfers, the ones that wouldn't be able to play this year anyway, there are still guys out there. But I don't know that there's anyone left who fits what we need, wants to come play here, and wouldn't be a personality/academic risk.

The guys showed last year that they aren't willing to use a scholarship just to fill it. Anyone they bring in has to be a player who is worthy of a 4 year commitment from our end. When there's someone like that they can snap up during the summer (like Alzee), they do it. When we're stuck shopping late but there isn't anyone valuable enough to bring in, they won't do it. It doesn't help that the ship we have open (Knox) came open a week after spring signing period ended. We did still had one open ship besides Knox available at the time, the one that wound up going to Niko Stojiljkovic a week later.

It's frustrating as it is to go into a 2nd straight season with an open seat on the bench, but it's not unheard of. Arkansas is starting the year with 10 scholarship players, and half of those are incoming freshmen. We'll have 11 available at the start of the season (if Franklin gets his waiver) and 12 on Tony Mitchell Day.

If we don't get roster news in the next week, then we're probably not looking at filling this scholarship until early signing period in November.

Are basketball coaches not available to the media during the summer? Or maybe the media just takes an extended summer off. (Not you Mr. Vito! I saw you sweating last week; during that Pick a Seat/ hot dog day in that hot weather).

Generally speaking, year after year, we hear nothing about recruiting.

•Finalized schedules (when finalized)

•Recruits signed

•Available scholarship

•Real time changes to the rosters or

•Remaining targets (position)

Overall, just a late hot summer update when the temps rise above 105 and its time to come inside.

Maybe Mr. Vito can request an update from head coach Johnny “I know where Dallas is now” Jones or ace recruiter, Shawn “I’m doing it without money” Forrest.

As for the last scholarship, I guess we could always promise a walk-on, already at the university/team, a 1 yr, definitely non-renewable, ship. We can always use an extra body to abuse in practice. (JJ doesn’t seem to be in Shaka Smart shape anymore)

When I ask other alums why they attend football games, yet refuse to come back for basketball, many cite the following concerns about their university:

•They want to know if the team will have new uniforms. What shade of Green? Will they be Nike or Under Armour?

•Will we bring that eagle thing in from the cold of Mean Green Stadium; to let the hoops guys and gals rub their hands on its head?

They frequently ask me what is our favorite Pit tradition.

•Many want to know how much weight Kendrick has gained.

•It’s important to know who has looked the best in the summer pick- up games in the Rec.

•A few inquired about the realistic chances of a jumbotron (year) to the Pit

•Another factor was permanent tailgating space for Mean Green games, since Fouts is all but dead.

•One noted that we need to build the program by attracting kids from Ryan and Guyer? Got to keep the locals home.

•A friend from Ft Worth stated that why should he come when the Denton community want come support a team looking for its 5th (20+) season

•A former music major wants to be assured that the jazz band will be there to perform at each game?

•My departed mother-in-law attended class with Pat Boone. She always wanted to hear Pat sing the National Anthem before an FIU game. (Noah Jones would have pleased her)

•Another friend finally retired last year after 35 years on the job. He was looking forward to traveling with the family to Kentucky to see UNT and WKU. He’s pissed at me now since I told him the Hilltoppers were coming to Denton instead.

•Many complain that Mean Green Stadium has 147 concessions stands and the Pit has 1 ½. OK, Ok, I convinced some that UNT Football needed more concession stands.

•A female friend, and her family, like women’s basketball but gets irritated when ushers continue to check her tickets at women's games?

•My best friend had planned on coming after he saw a picture of Shanice Stephens back side. Had to tell him RV sent her packing.

•A couple of NT co-workers of mine thought it would be neat to finally win bragging rights with guys who attended SMU & UH. They had read a hot rumor on GMG (football) that the Big East was expanding which would open up a spot for UNT in CUSA. Had to tell em that that thread was from 2010. & 2009 & 2008 ………..

•My sons are recent UNT grads and are extremely proud of their university. They want to be assured that are not the only ones at the Alumni Pavilion prior to basketball games

•A frat brother of mine, from back in the day, is still upset with the university from an incident during the Pick a Seat/Hot Dog Cookout. He felt mislead when he went to claim his season ticket because he was a member of 2 clubs while at UNT.

•I was able to convince a family to visit Denton, whose son is a hotshot ball player. Unfortunately they can’t make it because we don’t have a Junior Day for potential recruits

Anyway, just some random thoughts regarding men’s basketball on another hot ass day.

But just curious about a couple more things:

1. Have we pursued Naming Rights to the Super Pit? I know the building belongs to the university (instead of the athletic department) but is there some reason that building/stadiums/arena’s as more noted for naming rights to new venues? Everyone in the metroplex is familiar with the name “Super Pit+
  2. Do you guys think that Denia residents will attend basketball games after the 1st year in Mean Green Stadium?
  3. A lot of discussions have taken place about the need to have shuttles bring students from Kerr, Maple and Clark Hall across I-35 to the Mean Green Stadium. Are we having the same discussion about shuttles to bring students from Victory Hall to the super pit?
  • Upvote 1

July is the busiest time of the year for basketball coaches so that's why news/updates are limited.

The July live period -- two periods spanning a total of 20 days during the month -- is the only time college coaches are allowed to watch prospective recruits on the AAU circuit. There used to be another evaluation phase during April, but the NCAA has since eliminated that period.

I expect to hear news within the next 2 weeks on our schedule and what we might be doing with that last ship. There is still a large number of transfers out there looking for a home ( I'll try to gather a list here soon )

Edited by NT03

Not a basket ball fan...what a shame!!! UNT's men's BB program has put our FB team to shame in recent years and will continue to do so for years to come!!!

I wish our football program all the best, and used to always hit that forum and BB was an after thought. Low and behold JJ and staff turned our BB program around, and I decided to follow a "winner"!!! Best decision I ever made. Not to say I won't follow FB again, but the team will have to do more than lose in a new stadium. Given time I'm sure the FB ship will be turned around.

Until then my hats off to JJ, staff, and team for building a winner here at UNT!!! It's been absolutely a blessing to watch UNT mens BB.

Go Mean Green!!! Oh, the Houston Celtic's AAU Boys 17 team won 4 games at the Adidas 64 Las Vega's tournament, so notating that 5 spot for a car wash wasn't a bad deal either. Maybe if JJ see's some UNT talent on the Celtic's they'll consider coming to UNT in 2012 and beyond.

Edited by UNTMike81
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

Hey I wish us all the best, but it just isn't my sport. I grew up in DFW so I will always root for the Mavs. I have 2 degrees from UNT, so I will always root for us and be excited when we do well. Grew up down the street from TCU, so I enjoyed the one or two games I saw with Kurt Thomas and Lee Nailon. Also enjoy the handfull of UNT games I attended, notably watching Chris Davis and Eric Tramiel.

All that being said. I am just not a big basketball fan. Sorry.

Welp...see ya later.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Why do we want him?

David 'D.J.' Gardner, Per ESPN: 95th best player in country for class of 2011, 21st best shooting guard.

ESPN Scouting Report

Highlight video

Gardner was one of the prizes of Stansbury's 2011 recruiting class that ranked 12th in the country. The former four-star prospect from Okolona, Miss., was rated the 64th best prospect in the nation and the No. 20 shooting guard. Last season Gardner averaged 32.3 points as a senior

This is a unique situation. Gardner has signed a LOI with Mississippi State, and it is unlikely that MSU would release him to go to another SEC team or to regional rival Memphis. This could give a school like North Texas a huge advantage in obtaining his services.

Somebody please let Johnny know about this available player.

Edited by ADLER