the prez gets a little testy with the conservative dallas reporter.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/texas-news/President-Obama-talks-with-News-8--120141169.html

in other interesting news:

Rbt. Paul for Tx. Congress:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket/20110415/ts_yblog_theticket/ron-pauls-other-son-robert-might-run-for-texas-senate

Edited by eulesseagle
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 8

I disagree with the Obama's comment about this being a long time GOP state... the legislature went GOP in 2000 after being dominated by the Democrats since 1870's ( largely because reconstruction and the depression) and all Speakers of the House until 2001 in Texas had been Democrats ... Perry was the first Lt. Governor that was GOP which happened in 1999.. The first GOP Govenor was elected in 1978 (Clements of SMU shame) and almost all other officials were Democrats then. It is true that the state has been considered rather conservative even when Democrats were in power. Having the Bushes from Texas and in national spotlight pushed Texas in the GOP corner.

How is the budget in Texas now??? [ ask anyone in education ] ...even with a great Texas economy (Perry's words) It is worse than EVER in the past.... go figure.

I would not say a 10% margin in Texas by McCain was a landside... a 5+% change would change the election result... that is only one person in 20 changing their vote...

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I disagree with the Obama's comment about this being a long time GOP state... the legislature went GOP in 2000 after being dominated by the Democrats since 1870's ( largely because reconstruction and the depression) and all Speakers of the House until 2001 in Texas had been Democrats ... Perry was the first Lt. Governor that was GOP which happened in 1999.. The first GOP Govenor was elected in 1978 (Clements of SMU shame) and almost all other officials were Democrats then. It is true that the state has been considered rather conservative even when Democrats were in power. Having the Bushes from Texas and in national spotlight pushed Texas in the GOP corner.

How is the budget in Texas now??? [ ask anyone in education ] ...even with a great Texas economy (Perry's words) It is worse than EVER in the past.... go figure.

I would not say a 10% margin in Texas by McCain was a landside... a 5+% change would change the election result... that is only one person in 20 changing their vote...

Yep, this state began to go red with Reagan and culminated with the legislature following in the 90s. Support for democrats left with the death of the southern conservative democrat. It could be argued that Texas didn't leave the democrat party, but the democrat party left Texas.

To say that Texas has been "historically repulican" is just plain wrong. It speaks to how much Pres. Obama knows and/or cares about this state. I don't mean that negatively. Why would he care about a state that he has zero chance of winning in 2012?

Maybe he meant to say historically conservative, which would have been correct. Maybe he just misspeaks a lot, like another former president.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yep, this state began to go red with Reagan and culminated with the legislature following in the 90s. Support for democrats left with the death of the southern conservative democrat. It could be argued that Texas didn't leave the democrat party, but the democrat party left Texas.

To say that Texas has been "historically repulican" is just plain wrong. It speaks to how much Pres. Obama knows and/or cares about this state. I don't mean that negatively. Why would he care about a state that he has zero chance of winning in 2012?

Maybe he meant to say historically conservative, which would have been correct. Maybe he just misspeaks a lot, like another former president.

Who beats him..??. Palin, Gingrich (worse morally than Clinton), or Donald Trump?? .... So far the worst collection of party candidates ever...any party. Romney maybe but a lot of folks in GOP don't like him... and Huckabee would have trouble in a general election (so many don't like a minister in there because of separation of church and state and he is a birther ( aka wacko )besides) ... Maybe someone will show up but it sure isn't obvious. Besides this economic recession started in Bush years and has improved some but not as much as hoped. The same with the rapidly growing debt... but that hasn't not slowed down due to less taxes being collected due to recession and the tax cuts that took place about 2003...

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Who beats him..??. Palin, Gingrich (worse morally than Clinton), or Donald Trump?? .... So far the worst collection of party candidates ever...any party. Romney maybe but a lot of folks in GOP don't like him... and Huckabee would have trouble in a general election (so many don't like a minister in there because of separation of church and state and he is a birther ( aka wacko )besides) ... Maybe someone will show up but it sure isn't obvious. Besides this economic recession started in Bush years and has improved some but not as much as hoped. The same with the rapidly growing debt... but that hasn't not slowed down due to less taxes being collected due to recession and the tax cuts that took place about 2003...

Any Republican takes Texas over Obama.

You do know your posts all say pretty much the same thing, don't you?

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Wow, you talk about the deficit and never once mention spending. Here is an idea (for both parties, by the way), IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT, DON'T SPEND IT!!! Seems a lot of people manage to live that way. Pres. Obama was elected because he promised to fix the economy. He hasn't. If there is not a dramatic turnaround in the next year and a half, he will be a one termer. As some famous democrat once said "It's the economy, stupid." Blaming Bush has grown to be a tired excuse and won't be accepted in 2012.

As far as the Republican candidate, I think you will see a new face nominated. It won't be any of the people you mentioned above. Pawlenty, Rep. Ryan, Gov. Walker, or Sen. Rubio could be the guy. If not, it will be someone in their mold.

Any of the candidates you mentioned could beat Pres. Obama if the economy isn't better, but hopefully the Republicans have learned their lesson (NEVER a given with this spineless group) and go in a different direction. I don't think the voters in the Republican primaries will give them a choice.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Im not really a trump fan and I can think of several candidates that 'd prefer which weren't mentioned, but Trump, being a businessman could probably do alot for this economy.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Any Republican takes Texas over Obama.

You do know your posts all say pretty much the same thing, don't you?

---Really??? so -- I criticize Obama all the time..???.. I just did. I am not a big Obama fan and might have voted for McCain until he showed such bad judgement and selected Palin (mindless and had never been out of North America ...he had met her only once and think was shocked after the convention at how little she knew) .. I just get annoyed that many just can't realize WHEN the national debt just went crazy... 2% increase per year the 8 years prior to 2001 and then doubled after that.. The truth just isn't what some people want it to be. They are so politically biased that don't see facts. I even voted for Bush Sr. but the radical conservatives abandoned him when he tried to get the budget under control and was. He deserved to be re-elected. Even McCain did not like the fact the debt got out of control after 2001... which is a contributing factor in our economic mess now. It will difficult for ANYONE, ANY PARTY to undo the damage done. [also tough for a family to get out severe debt as well... have to meet current expenses while paying off old ones] Options... severe cuts and/or higher taxes. Neither are popular..... but something will have to be done. People who are going broke have the same options.... earn more money or cut spending..

--- As for Texas -- just explain why we have one of the best economies but have the worst budget problem.... worse than Calf. now. Really bad leadership in Austin..?? . Even C.K.Rylander said several years ago it would occur when she was comptroller (treasurer.) She was right but under-estimated how bad it would be... Few listened and for voted for the guy that said "less taxes and I am conservative etc. (to hell with what needed to be done for the betterment of out state... it was all about getting re-elected). He was offering candy when people really needed something else. Good politicians (and parents) do what is right and not what makes them liked.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What's the Brain Trust's take on Ron Paul? He certainly has some off-putting stances (women's rights, environment) but there are a lot of things to like here, and he appears to be the only potential candidate who actually allows cerebral reason and personal conviction to dictate his political stances.

Certainly wouldn't want his son any where near the ticket, though...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

What's the Brain Trust's take on Ron Paul? He certainly has some off-putting stances (women's rights, environment) but there are a lot of things to like here, and he appears to be the only potential candidate who actually allows cerebral reason and personal conviction to dictate his political stances.

Certainly wouldn't want his son any where near the ticket, though...

I don't think it would matter if he was the greatest candidate in the world... as long as he is billed a libertarian, he will never win the presidential office.

You win being either a Republican or a Democrat only. Too much idiocracy to try and run under any other billing. We know where the polar conservatives and liberals will vote. The moderates are usually moderate because they don't have strong enough opinions to be polar conservatives or liberals, so they will vote for one or the other with views most similar to theirs (and a "what will you do for me" attitude).

Libertarians need not apply to moderates for votes, so libertarians will never win... Unless, some SERIOUS grassroots movement springs up advocating libertarians.

I don't think it would matter if he was the greatest candidate in the world... as long as he is billed a libertarian, he will never win the presidential office.

You win being either a Republican or a Democrat only. Too much idiocracy to try and run under any other billing. We know where the polar conservatives and liberals will vote. The moderates are usually moderate because they don't have strong enough opinions to be polar conservatives or liberals, so they will vote for one or the other with views most similar to theirs (and a "what will you do for me" attitude).

Libertarians need not apply to moderates for votes, so libertarians will never win... Unless, some SERIOUS grassroots movement springs up advocating libertarians.

Although he still holds Libertarian leanings, Ron Paul has run as a Republican for some time now.

Although he still holds Libertarian leanings, Ron Paul has run as a Republican for some time now.

So has Olympia Snowe. Though her and Ron have very different political views they both run as Republicans despite the fact that it could be claimed they are Republicans In Name Only.

just saying...

• Downvote 1

I wouldn't mind seeing a new conservative party and libertarian party spring up to the surface. The more options the better. Never happen, because the Dems and Repubs will pay both off to stay out of the race. Both parties will keep spending, and this country will go broke.