Refreshing

Harry

I realize it is early yet however I am real pleased with the things I am hearing from Coach Mac regarding the state of this football program.

I remember when Dodge got here his position was this is not far removed from being a good program and that the talent he had in place could win right away. I think he was right on point one and wrong on point two. Dodge inherited the program after Dickey had two down years; prior to that Dickey had four straight bowl teams. Most who were close to the program knew that our talent level had dropped off immensely in Dickey's last two years. I remember initially being encouraged at the optimism Dodge displayed, as time went by and the losses mounted it became apparent that he really didn't know or understand where the program was and couldn't figure out how to get it to a better place.

I think Coach Mac knows where we are and spring evaluations will help solidify that. I think he knows this is not a quick fix scenario. And that is ok. I would much rather have a realistic assessment of where we are because then we can identify and execute on the things we need to get better.

Totally agree Harry, it is such a great feeling actually having confidence in your Head Coach and that he knows what he is talking about. I wasnt here for DD but honestly after a while Dodge started feeling like a used car salesman. i liked what he was saying but i just didnt believe it...with coach mac i believe everything he says because he has seen and done it all.

• Downvote 1

Dodge did a lot to clean some basic things up re: APR and off the field issues but he always seemed to be "hoping" for wins rather than confident about building the team. Signing small wide receivers and not putting an emphasis on D was always a huge concern for me. Hell, Mac doesn't even seem to be talking about building a "team" - he is way above that - he is building a "brand"! Love to hear him say "Go Mean Green" and dress like a head coach. There is something to be said about a coach that still wears a tie (and a green one at that!) - it commands respect from the fans and players. I never really liked the Under Armour casual look with the staff during the Dodge years. It seemed gimmicky... and kind of high school. I am liking what I am seeing and hearing so far.

I suppose that my only hesitation with Mac is his overall W/L record at ISU... it is just hovering around like an elephant in the room. I hope that we do not have to go 4 or 5 years to start seeing winning teams but I will support the program no matter how long it takes. Let's just do it right this time. Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 4

The thing I like best is that McCarney is all about the program where I think Dodge was about Dodge.

To clarify, I was a fan of the Dodge hire, and I also was pulling for him to succeed, but what made me feel this way is that he always led to the team out of the tunnel, his statement about it not being a "high school" or "college" plan, but a football plan and the intro video ended with a shot of Coach Dodge. It would be tough for anyone coming from the success he had at SLC to not have an ego, and I think this got in the way from time to time. Just my opninion, but I think his experience at NT will benefit him in the long run. So maybe my comment above doesn't accurately portray what I meant to say, but I think he liked to be out front. Heck, if I coached a HS team to a 79-1 record, I would probably think my plan would succeed on any level too.

This.

I don't think anyone questions how much work he put into this thing. Sure, the results were lacking, but no one questioned his effort. It didn't work. He'll admit that. But it's not like he wanted to fail. So please, get off his back, be thankful he's gone if you wish, and lets move on.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

To clarify, I was a fan of the Dodge hire, and I also was pulling for him to succeed, but what made me feel this way is that he always led to the team out of the tunnel, his statement about it not being a "high school" or "college" plan, but a football plan and the intro video ended with a shot of Coach Dodge. It would be tough for anyone coming from the success he had at SLC to not have an ego, and I think this got in the way from time to time. Just my opninion, but I think his experience at NT will benefit him in the long run. So maybe my comment above doesn't accurately portray what I meant to say, but I think he liked to be out front. Heck, if I coached a HS team to a 79-1 record, I would probably think my plan would succeed on any level too.

Well said!