Great Night At Metzler's

Green59

It was an enjoyable time spent at Metzler's last night for the Mean Green Club Happy Hour! A special thanks goes out to KRAM1, the UNT athletic staff and Metzler's BBQ for putting this event together. It was a real treat to listen to those who came out to speak to us...Villareal, Mac, Canales, Simmonds, Riddle, Conley and the Assistant Strength Coach whose name escapes me.

I think it is great how the coaches are getting out in public to talk to the fans to stir up interest in the Mean Green program....I do believe Coach Mac when he says he will do everything in his power to make that Houston game a sell out.

The start of spring practice is only 12 hours away! Hopefully many of us will be there tonight at Fouts Field for the "open to the public" practice to show our support for the new coaches and the team.

GMG!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

"What he doesn't believe -- and I tend to agree with him -- is that UNT has Division I level size, especially on its offensive and defensive lines. McCarney said UNT has a real lack of 300-pound guys and way too many defensive linemen who are shorter than he is."

I like Mac more and more as well based on this quote from Vito's blog in another post.

Hopefully the recent (read: since 2004) pollyanna view of the state of these positions--which remain areas of dire need--is a view that has run its course, and there is some objectivity at last.

Revive us again, Mac!! Hallelujah! Thine the glory! Hallelujah, AMEN!!

Edited by LongJim
  • Upvote 3

Thank you Mark for taking your time, and probably some of your money to make this event happen. Thhis was such a good event, my wife even attended and asked a question of Coach McCarney. She had a good time, hence, I had a good time. Thanks again.

Joe...I very much appreciate the kind words, but most of all I appreciate you and bride being there and supporting the Mean Green. Yes, I thought her question was a very good one too. Thanks for the support!

Green59....thanks for the kind words about last evening's event. I really had a great time and it was good to have so many coaches and RV with us as well. I think we had over 35 people in the room (not counting athletic staff and coaches) at one point, and I am told several new members were added to the ranks of the Mean Green Club last evening. How can you hear Coach Mac speak and not get fired up over the prospects for the Mean Green? That guy is the real deal, and we will definitely see the Mean green heading in the right direction starting this evening at spring practice. He makes no bones about what needs to be done, and he is setting the stage for the challenges that lie ahead, but what is great is his "WHY NOT NORTH TEXAS" attitude and the fact that he is dedicated to going after D1 level prospects that the "big boys" are also going after. He says we will recruit against the "big boys" not the 1-AA teams going forward. How refreshing is that to hear, and even better, to hear UNT not only competed with but beat some of the "big boys" in signing his first class.Thanks to everyone who turned out last evening...if I tried to name everyone I know I would miss so many.

On a side note...did everyone notice how good RV looked in his new slimmed down self? I think he said he had lost about 40 pounds since December. The guy really did look good and he seemed very excited about the prospects for the program.

Thanks again to all for your help and support with this event.

In the bold quote above, it is great to hear this, but in reality, we are going to have to compete against some FCS schools still to get talent here until he builds this thing up from the ashes. We are at the bottom of the totem pole in Texas right now as a current FBS team. We are going to get some kids whose other choices may be SFA or SHSU. In time, that will change, and we will just compete with only the Texas FBS teams for kids, but for right now, we have to go after guys who are willing to come here and play for a school that has won exactly 13 games in the last 6 years.

In the bold quote above, it is great to hear this, but in reality, we are going to have to compete against some FCS schools still to get talent here until he builds this thing up from the ashes. We are at the bottom of the totem pole in Texas right now as a current FBS team. We are going to get some kids whose other choices may be SFA or SHSU. In time, that will change, and we will just compete with only the Texas FBS teams for kids, but for right now, we have to go after guys who are willing to come here and play for a school that has won exactly 13 games in the last 6 years.

I certainly do not disagree at all with your comments. What I liked most about the comment from McCarney was the expectations part of it and the attitude of "Why not North Texas"? If he believes what he is saying (I I'll believe him until I see otherwise) then he will definitely start recruiting players being recruited by the big boys. He mentioned two players who had committed to UNT, but who were offered by a couple of the "big boys" late in the game. UNT retained both players thus beating a couple of the "big boys" this year (one could make that argument). People here on this board have complained for years that UNT was not even looking at the premier players in Denton and all over Texas, and that UNT was just "giving those players to the big boys". We'll, we now have a HC who says "Why not North Texas", and he, along with his staff, are going to do just that...compete against the big boys for local, state and national talent. Sure, may not get them all, or even very many at first, and might have to fall back on those guys whose other choice might be SFA, UT-SA, etc., but the emphasis will be on recruiting legitimate D1 talent that can win games and bowl games for UNT.

That, my fellow Mean Green fans, seems to me to be, in itself, a positive move forward.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Metzler's seem Mean Green proud. Is this a place the diehards can go for a post victory celebration come fall? I love Lucky Lous but if there was a Mean Green bar/restaurant must after the game my crew and I would be there for sure.

GOMEANGREEN!!!!!

• Upvote 1

I signed up that night! After that night, I left a bigger believer in the program and the coaching staff. It was great meeting them and fellow MGC members. Thanks to those who helped me sign up. I'm fired up!

Much appreciated. It's great to have new members and I appreciate your joining. There has never been a better time to support the Mean green. Thanks for coming and thanks even more for being a member of the great Mean Green Nation!

Metzler's seem Mean Green proud. Is this a place the diehards can go for a post victory celebration come fall? I love Lucky Lous but if there was a Mean Green bar/restaurant must after the game my crew and I would be there for sure.

GOMEANGREEN!!!!!

Roy Metzler and Metzler's BBQ is INDEED Mean Green Proud! Big supporters of the Mean green and have been for some time. Roy gives a good deal of his time and treasure in support of the Mean green. BTW...excellent BBQ, beer selection and wines at Metzler's on Londonderry Lane (also has a place on University nearer TWU than UNT). Best selection of beers to go in Denton as well.

While both places might be a bit far from UNT for an after game party, it would be a great place to meet if such a gathering were planned a bit ahead of time. It's about 6 min. or so from the new stadium by car (Teasley Lane at Londonderry).

One reason I like to frequent Metzler's is, in fact, their support for not only UNT but for Denton as a whole. Great people, excellent food, cold beer and big Mean green fans. What more could one ask for if they are a member of the Great Mean green Nation?

BTW...Roy was very quick to say "yes" to sponsoring this year's GoMeanGreen.com BB Classic...I think I recall his quote was "whatever I can do to help". Thank you Metzler's BBQ and thank you Roy Metzler!

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 1

Because I am not much of a cook, our tailgate includes Metzler family packs a couple of times/year. Great German potato salad, and trust me the words potato salad and great have never been used in the same sentence in my household before.

Reasonable prices for this penny pincher but most important, Metzlers supports the Mean Green.

GMG

Roy Metzler and Metzler's BBQ is INDEED Mean Green Proud! Big supporters of the Mean green and have been for some time. Roy gives a good deal of his time and treasure in support of the Mean green. BTW...excellent BBQ, beer selection and wines at Metzler's on Londonderry Lane (also has a place on University nearer TWU than UNT). Best selection of beers to go in Denton as well.

GO MEAN GREEN!

awesome place for beer...since you said it had the best selection, i thought i'd throw out another awesome place for selection that would rival metzlers. the midway mart on carroll, by the mexican food joint. that dude will order anything you want that he can get...as does metzlers!