Are We Avoiding The Obvious Question?

NMBNTC

Disclaimer: I hate blaming the refs, If you play the game right the refs won't have an opportunity to screw you. However, there is a difference in no-calls and fictional calls. we were victim of both.

Being a cheerleader, I have sat baseline under the basket for the last five season. In all those games I would see about 0 to 2 missed calls every game, nothing really crucial or blatant, just little things that happened where I had a better angle or the ref was watching something else. In all 4 games we played this weekend that number jumped to about 5 to 10 per game. At one point in the second half of the final, I sat and counted on my finger for the ref to see, three missed calls on the three shots on in about 6 seconds total. The least blatant, but still a no call, was of course the illegal screen that cut our lead to 1. There were also several UALR slanted calls in their semi-final game against MTSU. Either the Sun Belt has a pro-UALR/anti-UNT conspiracy or the Sun Belt need to hire major-conference refs for the tourney. GMG.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Refs had nothing to do with the loss though. Move on.

True. We had multiple opportunities to put the game away before the non-calls would have even been a factor. We couldn't put the boot on their throat when it counted and Bozeman ended up with an opportunity to hit a clutch 3 to win it. Credit him with a monster play to end it.

Had it in the bag and just couldn't finish. Shame it ended up that way considering how well everyone played for the entire conference tournament.

Edited by Green Lantern

I can't bring myself to think about this game anymore. It is what it is, and what happened happened. The crazy thing is that most people, including many in the contingent in Hot Springs were not expecting the team to get anwhere close to the final. Yes, it was heartbreaking, but under the circumstances, with all of the injuries, and lack of rest, and major mid season slump, they really played their butts off and exceeded expectations.

Disclaimer: I hate blaming the refs, If you play the game right the refs won't have an opportunity to screw you. However, there is a difference in no-calls and fictional calls. we were victim of both.

Being a cheerleader, I have sat baseline under the basket for the last five season. In all those games I would see about 0 to 2 missed calls every game, nothing really crucial or blatant, just little things that happened where I had a better angle or the ref was watching something else. In all 4 games we played this weekend that number jumped to about 5 to 10 per game. At one point in the second half of the final, I sat and counted on my finger for the ref to see, three missed calls on the three shots on in about 6 seconds total. The least blatant, but still a no call, was of course the illegal screen that cut our lead to 1. There were also several UALR slanted calls in their semi-final game against MTSU. Either the Sun Belt has a pro-UALR/anti-UNT conspiracy or the Sun Belt need to hire major-conference refs for the tourney. GMG.

I have been saying this for years. The SBC refs are terrible and make watching the games painful because as soon as you get into it...whistle blow. I think we have the same issue with our football refs.

Sun Belt officials are the worst in the country...but at least in this game it was because of no calls as opposed to over-officiating.

I disagree. They did have something to do with the loss. Could we have made them irrelevant, yes. We didn't and they screwed us over. Our lack of a killer instinct does not absolve them of gross incompetence.

Also, I will be bitter about this for a very long time and will probably use this as heckle ammunition next year when the thugs from Little Rock visit the Pit. I am a fan, as in fanatic. I can be fanatical about the teams I support. This includes grudge holding, for decades or longer sometimes. Your mileage may vary.

• Upvote 5

Yes, the SBC referees are horrible, have been for years and are an embarrasment to the league.

No, they didn't cost us the game, but the no call on the tackle/screen was beyond ridiculous.

No, the league office won't do a thing about it.

Yes, the announcers commented on how bad they were.

BTW, the announcers and production was cheap, very few replays and the wrong pictures for our starting lineup.

The SBC league office has zero influence over anybody. I've decided Waters does just enough to get by.

Sun Belt officials are the worst in the country...but at least in this game it was because of no calls as opposed to over-officiating.

Actually the refs did have something to do with the loss. NT should not use the refs as an excuse for the loss as it should not have come down to a couple of calls or non-calls. However, the refs play a part in every game, in this game they seemed to be determined to let them play far more than the norm for a Belt game. The referees to a large extent dictated the pace of the game. Particularly in the first half, Thompson was mugged several times going to the basket without a call. He would have had a lot more free throws if the game was called like the rest of the tournament.

I actually prefer they let them play more, but to state the officiating had nothing to to do with the results is just wrong. Teams should adjust to the officiating but bad calls such their failure to call Bozeman pancake block definitely have an impact on the results. You don't think that if that had been called and the three waved off and NT getting free shots wouldn't have changed the game?

• Upvote 3

The refs didnt make Josh lose the ball. They didnt grab the ball out of the air and stick it in the basket when the white kid and Bozeman made those threes. They didnt make Tristan miss the FT at the end. They werent great but for whatever reason at the end of the game we didnt take care of business, period!

That has to be the worst picture of Natalie Portman I've ever seen. It looks like someone reversed her body backwards from the boobs down. Also...... what the heck is going on with that left arm? She's got reverse elbow and way too much upper arm flab.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

In major cnferences and in the NCAA tournament, the refs LET THEM PLAY come bruise or broken bone. That is basketball in March.

I think it is a major disservice to the Sunbelt that refs call it as nit picky as they do in the regular season because the Belt representative in the NCAA is not prepared for the physicality of it.

Edit: and as far as UALR's moving screen at the end of the championship I have watched enough basketball to know that in March, at the end of the game.... they will almost never call that. Not in the ACC, not in the SEC, not in the final four. The coach has to understand this and prepare the team for it.

March is not for the fain hearted.

Edited by Hilltopper2k

a senior team should not lose with a 7 point lead in final 1:50, so its hard for me to blame the refs.we committed 3 fouls and 2 turnovers during this time.[ triston missed a layup, and hogans a slam dunk in 1st half as well as well.] biggest difference i saw was in previous games when triston drove to middle and there was contact, a blocking foul was almost always called. in ular game it was reversed, with charging called on triston 2 or 3 times. i thought this was a major difference which hurt him and our team. however, it was our game to lose, and we did. we just ran out of gas at the end.

In major cnferences and in the NCAA tournament, the refs LET THEM PLAY come bruise or broken bone. That is basketball in March.

I think it is a major disservice to the Sunbelt that refs call it as nit picky as they do in the regular season because the Belt representative in the NCAA is not prepared for the physicality of it.

Edit: and as far as UALR's moving screen at the end of the championship I have watched enough basketball to know that in March, at the end of the game.... they will almost never call that. Not in the ACC, not in the SEC, not in the final four. The coach has to understand this and prepare the team for it.

So much...THIS!

The proper way to officiate a game is: 1. Let them play. 2. If things get chippy, tighten up and reign the game back in 3. Last 2 minutes, let them play. SBC officials violate all three rules, but especially number 3...they seem to view end game as their time to shine.

Yea sure, the end of games would look like roller derby if calls that obvious were not usually made and I don't care how much basketball you've watched. Referees tend to eat their whistles late in games and play off basketball is normally rougher. Calls are missed all the time and no one expected the push offs and minor fouls to be called but knocking someone off his feet for a late three would be called most of the time even in the NBA playoffs. I have seen few that have argued that UALR didn't deserve the win or that NT didn't collapse at the end of the game, but it was an inexcusable non-call that should have been made. Not to mention that referees should not call 90% of a tournament one way than convert to in your "let them play" basketball in the championship game. I am not sure you even saw the play from your comments, again calls are missed, but to infer body blocks that flatten the defender are just part of a basketball game and commonly ignored in a well refereed game is ludicrous.

Edited by GrandGreen