Uta To Wac

KoldBeer

I'm not a fan of this guy's work but I figure a few people might find this interesting. The story is about Pat Knight calling UTA about basketball head coaching position (which currently isn't open).

From Story:

But why on earth would Knight, freshly fired at a Big 12 school, be interested in such a seemingly low-profile job?

Might have something to do with the fact that the The Mavericks will soon open a new $78M arena next season fueled in part by a $5 million contribution from an energy tycoon who has 22 natural gas wells on the UTA campus itself. In talking to multiple Metroplex media sources today, I’ve also been told there’s a distinct possibility UTA will join the WAC in basketball - and soon.

Though even more intriguing is the prospect of UT-Arlington reviving football, which according to DFW sources is once again gaining traction. I was told today by a prominent Fort Worth-based sports media member that UTA President Spaniolo and Athletic Director Carlon are currently in the “evaluation” stage of considering a football program that would compete in the WAC.

UT-Arlington fielded a Division I football program between 1964-85, shuttering the endeavor because of sagging attendance and a staggering budget shortfall.

More at:

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/firing-line-knight-calls-uta-about-hoops-job-29545

True story:

Uta held a student vote in 2004 or 2005 regarding whether or not they should add an athletic fee to tuition. All talk and promotion leading up to it was that if it passed, the money would be used to bring the football program back.

The vote passed, and the next day in the school newspaper the president announced that the money would be used to build this new basketball arena that is mentioned up top. Something that was not mentioned once before voting.

Pulled the ole bait and switch on the student body who thought they were voting to bring football back.

• Upvote 1

I'm all for it. I think the whole old Southland should be div 1 in football. La Tech, UNT, ULL and ULM already are. UTSA and TSSM have already announced. Lamar has reestablished football. Rumblings about UTA, SHSU and SFU moving up. McNeese can't be far behind.

Of course, Texas football will continue to be weakened below the AQ level as more and more teams recruit to the division 1 level. Also as more lower level teams are added to the mix, the likelihood of another split in D1 is more likely. I don't blame any school for their ambitions, if I was an alum of those universities; I would be all for the move. The reality is that in the long run, it won't be a good thing for NT and I believe Texas football in general. It is imperative for NT to continue to distance themselves from these start ups.

• Upvote 1

True story:

Uta held a student vote in 2004 or 2005 regarding whether or not they should add an athletic fee to tuition. All talk and promotion leading up to it was that if it passed, the money would be used to bring the football program back.

The vote passed, and the next day in the school newspaper the president announced that the money would be used to build this new basketball arena that is mentioned up top. Something that was not mentioned once before voting.

Pulled the ole bait and switch on the student body who thought they were voting to bring football back.

Not true. The fee that the students approved in the April 2004 referendum has never been collected. The approval was conditional upon FB and two women's sports being started, which obviously has not happened. Spanny did successfully divert the student leaders from the FB goal to the Arena goal, so in that respect, your "bait and switch" comment is valid.

I wonder how many students voted. And what percentage of students that vote was.

It was the biggest turnout in a one-day referendum ever at UTA, probably on a par with similar referenda at UNT and UTSA, which is to say, less than a majority of students, but all of the ones who are active on campus.

I'm all for it. I think the whole old Southland should be div 1 in football. La Tech, UNT, ULL and ULM already are. UTSA and TSSM have already announced. Lamar has reestablished football. Rumblings about UTA, SHSU and SFU moving up. McNeese can't be far behind.

Of course, Texas football will continue to be weakened below the AQ level as more and more teams recruit to the division 1 level. Also as more lower level teams are added to the mix, the likelihood of another split in D1 is more likely. I don't blame any school for their ambitions, if I was an alum of those universities; I would be all for the move. The reality is that in the long run, it won't be a good thing for NT and I believe Texas football in general. It is imperative for NT to continue to distance themselves from these start ups.

Did you forget Troy and Arkansas State? UNT was only temporarily in the SLC when they had to drop down a division during the Corky Nelson era, but even that brief time showed what a great natural rivalry we could have and what ideal travel partners UNT and UTA could be if and when UTA ever stepped up to "Tier One" athletic status, and if UNT ever gets Baseball and Men's Tennis.

Not true. The fee that the students approved in the April 2004 referendum has never been collected. The approval was conditional upon FB and two women's sports being started, which obviously has not happened. Spanny did successfully divert the student leaders from the FB goal to the Arena goal, so in that respect, your "bait and switch" comment is valid.

Don't worry, I was there in 2004. I know. I voted.

It has yet to be collected because the terms were not conditional on football. It has yet to be collected because the terms were that the increase would not go into effect until the program was in place (or how it turned out, the arena was completed). This way, it would be collected from students who benefited from it, as opposed to collecting it from students who graduate years before it is complete.

Discover the power of ideas. I have an idea. When you know you are going to be video taped representing your school, take a minute or two to gather your thoughts and maybe practice what you are going to say. Sorry. I'm usually not that cynical.

This video alone will likely keep us from Tier 1 status and most certainly from gaining admission into the Big 12.

This video alone will likely keep us from Tier 1 status and most certainly from gaining admission into the Big 12.

This video has nothing to do with us getting in Big 12.....you can't be serious....decision makers are going to set down and say lets look at this video and then say...hell no...we can't let UNT into the big 12 (or whatever they call it now)...really!

This video has nothing to do with us getting in Big 12.....you can't be serious....decision makers are going to set down and say lets look at this video and then say...hell no...we can't let UNT into the big 12 (or whatever they call it now)...really!

This is your brain on white Russians and the new Karate Kid. Any questions?