George Mason Green Machine

I think our band needs to do...something! I went to the mens senior game the over the weekend and I was pretty disapointed with a lot of things. Ill stick to the band in this post. First, can somebody get them to look uniformed at all? Same t-shirt, or same polo or something? They looked sloppy and second-rate. I was pretty embarrassed, and they didnt take the game or what they were doing seriously. This is a good music school, and the band should reflect that whether they are related to our music school or not. I really want to write a letter. Somebody get me the contact info. And yes, that is Rage, and yes this is something that our band should look into doing. Anything that is different, creative and fun will bring energy and buzz to the school and its fans. UNT lacks in this area on many levels.

• Downvote 5

I wouldn't touch a thing with the UNT pep band. They look like a bunch of crazy student fans that happened to pick up instruments and play better than most pep bands you hear...and have fun doing it. That's part of their charm and what makes them fun to watch, IMHO.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 1

Put me down in Tasty's corner on this one. I like the "funkiness" that is the basketball pep band...and, as most folks know, I am pretty "old school" when it comes to such things...OK, to some maybe just "old", but i think the pep band at the basketball games does a great job. The "funkiness" of their attire and mannerisms is just part of the deal...charm as someone said.

I hope I see them in HOT Springs later today! GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 1

I have a very good friend in VA who graduated from George Mason and was in the band. Now she works for George Mason in the music department. Right now she and the band are on a bus heading to Richmond for their basketball tournament and I was talking to her letting her know that they came up as a topic on our board. She told their band director and others on the bus about this. I think it made them happy lol.

• Upvote 1

I absolutely love the the basketball band... those guys are hilarious; they have that special kind of funny that only a person with an IQ over 120 would get. The students love them and they have plenty of modern songs in the repertoire mixed in with the old school chants and rally songs. Plus they are actually good at playing them. Most importantly they know about basketball and are actual basketball fans. If anyone went to the tourney and saw some of the other pep-bands you would know for a fact that we have the best and most passionate band in the belt. GMG. Go Funky Fresh Balls Band.

We definitely (as we should) have the best band (as far as musicians go) in the Sun Belt. As far as if they are the best overall...I think it is very difficult to avoid homerism. There are 4 schools that stood out to me in hot springs above the rest, and are grouped at the top (in my mind): UNT, WKU, MTSU, and ASU. I know a lot of people love the Troy band, and they may be ok for football, but for a basketball band I'm unimpressed.

Just my opinion.

We definitely (as we should) have the best band (as far as musicians go) in the Sun Belt. As far as if they are the best overall...I think it is very difficult to avoid homerism. There are 4 schools that stood out to me in hot springs above the rest, and are grouped at the top (in my mind): UNT, WKU, MTSU, and ASU. I know a lot of people love the Troy band, and they may be ok for football, but for a basketball band I'm unimpressed.

Just my opinion.

Being from Alabama I can tell you that most High school band directors either graduate from either Troy or JaxSt. Both of theses bands have a better rep inside the state that there bigger brothers Auburn or Alabama.

Cool video, but the band (George Mason's Green Machine that wears yellow) isn't that good.

That sounded like my 6th grade band when the director brought in some dumbed down version of a Pearl Jam song for us to play. You could make out the obvious parts but the whole thing sounded like complete garbage. I'd be absolutely embarrassed were our band to sound like that. Terrible.

Also.... I'd expect the Green Brigade to be playing deep cuts rather than tired radio singles.

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1