Expanded Sunbelt And New Bowl Game In Sa

Was justed informed about the possibility of a 14 team Sunbelt being discussed with a new bowl game in San Antonio against a CUSA or MWC team, in addition to a new bowl game in Atlanta most likely against a CUSA team.

Sunbelt FB would be as follows:

West Division

UTSA

UNT

Tx St

LaTech

ULaLa

ULM

Ark St

East Division

Troy

MTSU

So Ala

FIU

FAU

Ga State

WKU

Looks more and more as if the WAC is dead, esp if USU and SJSU depart for the MWC. Pending a CUSA or MWC invite, this would appear to be the better choice over what ever WAC Benson manages to salvage.

Travel costs would be less than the new WAC and attendance should be stronger with local teams. Plus the Sunbelt will be in the major TV markets of DFW, SA and So Texas, Atlanta and Miami/Fort La. which equates to stronger revenue.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Was justed informed about the possibility of a 14 team Sunbelt being discussed with a new bowl game in San Antonio against a CUSA or MWC team, in addition to a new bowl game in Atlanta most likely against a CUSA team.

West Division

UTSA

UNT

Tx St

LaTech

ULaLa

ULM

Ark St

East Division

Troy

MTSU

So Ala

FIU

FAU

Ga State

WKU

Looks more and more as if the WAC is dead, esp if USU and SJSU depart for the MWC. Pending a CUSA or MWC invite, this would appear to be the better choice over what ever WAC Benson manages to salvage.

Travel costs would be less than the new WAC and attendance should be stronger with local teams. Plus the Sunbelt will be in the major TV markets of DFW, SA and So Texas, Atlanta and Miami/Fort La. which equates to stronger revenue.

Can I ask....who informed you of this? Someone in an official capacity somewhere? Just wondering.

I'd like the league more if it had NMSU in the west....Ark. State in the East instead of Georgia State (another upstart program).

Also, how do we just get two new bowl games? We'd ditch New Orleans and Mobile? Mobile's game drew 38,000.

I think the NCAA is probably near its' limit on bowl certification.

• Upvote 1

Can I ask....who informed you of this? Someone in an official capacity somewhere? Just wondering.

I'd like the league more if it had NMSU in the west....Ark. State in the East instead of Georgia State (another upstart program).

Also, how do we just get two new bowl games? We'd ditch New Orleans and Mobile? Mobile's game drew 38,000.

I think the NCAA is probably near its' limit on bowl certification.

Can't reveal sources but that are in positions as it effects conferrence realingment.

The San Antonio Bowls would be in addition to the current bowl games. An enticement to invite UTSA, Tx St and Ga St.

The San Antonio bowl has been in an exploratory for some time haveing focused on CUSA as the host league with the altimate goal of CUSA membership for UTSA as CUSA has UTSA high on their list for expansion. IF UH bolts for the BE, UTSA is most likley the replacement. If this happened, then NMSU would be a replacement for UTSA.

I personally would get rid of UTSA, TSU, and GSU, and then add NMSU to the west. So you have:

West:

North Texas

Arkansas State

New Mexico State

Louisiana Tech

Louisiana Lafayette

Louisiana Monroe

East:

Middle Tennessee

Western Kentuck

Troy

South Alabama

Florida Atlantic

Florida International

I think the conference above would be much better off than the current Sun Belt. We would avoid adding any 1-AA members, and add a good basketball school in NMSU. Divisional travel would help lower costs, and 12 is the perfect number. 14 or 16 teams in a conference does appeal to me for some reason.

• Upvote 1

Add La Tech and New Mexico St. and let's shake hands and be done with it. Everyone could agree that adding both of them would be a positive for the Belt but the inclusion of Georgia State, UTSA, TSUSM and Southern Bama is not what Waters stated he had in mind by adding teams to the Belt. You can't just go from two months ago clearly stating that the Belt would not be interested in adding additional teams that have not played one down of Div IA football to now adding 4.

I personally would get rid of UTSA, TSU, and GSU, and then add NMSU to the west. So you have:

West:

North Texas

Arkansas State

New Mexico State

Louisiana Tech

Louisiana Lafayette

Louisiana Monroe

East:

Middle Tennessee

Western Kentuck

Troy

South Alabama

Florida Atlantic

Florida International

I think the conference above would be much better off than the current Sun Belt. We would avoid adding any 1-AA members, and add a good basketball school in NMSU. Divisional travel would help lower costs, and 12 is the perfect number. 14 or 16 teams in a conference does appeal to me for some reason.

You need those three schools for expanded TV markets and additional bowl games.

• Upvote 1

Can't reveal sources but that are in positions as it effects conferrence realingment.

The San Antonio Bowls would be in addition to the current bowl games. An enticement to invite UTSA, Tx St and Ga St.

The San Antonio bowl has been in an exploratory for some time haveing focused on CUSA as the host league with the altimate goal of CUSA membership for UTSA as CUSA has UTSA high on their list for expansion. IF UH bolts for the BE, UTSA is most likley the replacement. If this happened, then NMSU would be a replacement for UTSA.

Why exactly would any of those schools need to be enticed to join the SBC...at this point they should be begging. <_<

If Houston bolts, I would bet money we would be in CUSA before UTSA. I could see them shifting to the East as well, and not choosing a Texas school to replace Houston.

Edited by Mean Green Matt

Calling Bulsh on this.

• Upvote 2

With all due respect, what makes UTSA so attractive? Never played a down of NCAA football, middle of the pack Southland Conference basketball program, a town that is Cowboy's crazy and didn't support USFL football, etc...

Add La Tech and New Mexico St. and let's shake hands and be done with it. Everyone could agree that adding both of them would be a positive for the Belt but the inclusion of Georgia State, UTSA, TSUSM and Southern Bama is not what Waters stated he had in mind by adding teams to the Belt. You can't just go from two months ago clearly stating that the Belt would not be interested in adding additional teams that have not played one down of Div IA football to now adding 4.

They're already in the SBC, and are already planning to move up. They will have full backing by the conference as well.

West Division

UTSA

UNT

Tx St

LaTech

ULaLa

ULM

Ark St

East Division

Troy

MTSU

So Ala

FIU

FAU

Ga State

WKU

Cool story bro.

• Upvote 1

Sorry, but I would still rather us be in the MWC or CUSA than an expanded and more watered down SBC.

Edited by NT80

Sorry, but I would still rather us be in the MWC or CUSA than an expanded and more waterered down SBC.

Once again, if those options are not available then an expanded Sunbelt is more desirable than a very weak new WAC. Don't knock the new SB. The SB will challenge CUSA in the future.

FIU is on the rise, FAU will improve with the news stadium and increased budgets, MTSU has proven itself as has Troy, ULaLA made a greta coaching hire and recruiting has drmatically improved. UNT and Tx St made solid hires. With UTSA in a FBS league, recruiting will improve dramatically under Coker. Ga St had a solid first year.

If we are thinking strategically, don't we want to keep TSU and UTSA down. It is the same reasoning behind wanting to kill off the WAC. The less competition the better. 12 FBS schools in Texas may be a bit much. Those two schools are in a tough predicament right now, and they may be forced to go independent. Especially for recruiting, their existence alone is going to be a hindrance, regardless of whether or not we may be the more attractive option.

If I had to pick one or the other, I would want Texas State, but I will not be one bit disappointed if the SBC decides not to add any 1-AA teams.

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 1