The 12Th Mwc Member

GrayEagle

Assuming for a moment that the MWC does want to stay in Texas and both SMU and Houston (plus Rice) aren't interested and select North Texas as one of the new members.

Who would you want as a 12th member?

Who would you think would be the 12th member?

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Before we go crazy about this don't you think it's strange that someone created an account to make one post and then leave (info we'd all go crazy over)? I believe Harry's trying to draw us out in the open so he can fire Ads by Google at us.

No one, or at least I hope not, is taking that post seriously; The MWC hasn't even had their January meeting yet. There is a strong possibility that should they choose to expand, we would be one of the top candidates. That's based off of their commish saying they want to remain in Texas, and the likelihood that existing Texas CUSA members will tell them no.

It's just speculation and something to talk about. This thread is no different.

• Upvote 2

stop.....stop.....stop.....

you folks have let a new poster with only one post make some of you think that a mwc invite is tomorrow. stop this insanity.

well i guess it is ok to fantisize.

The poster had little to do with it. The premise came mostly from an interview with Craig Thompson by the Honolulu Star-Advertiser in which he intimated that the eastern terminus of the MWC would be Texas.

There are four Texas teams in the Big 12 and four in CUSA. Needless to say, the Big 12 schools will not move down in class. Neither will TCU, whose moving up created the possible vacancy. It has been stated that Houston, Rice and SMU are not interested in leaving CUSA for the MWC, which they consider a lateral move. UTEP has stated that it is happy in CUSA and would not consider a move if they are the only Texas team. That leaves only one Texas FBS team...North Texas.

This is only a premise. There have been no official meetings among MWC members nor public statements by the MWC office. This is pure off-season speculation. However, given the new stadium, a substantial increase in projected revenue, a new coaching staff with salaries commensurate with many MWC teams, and statements and actions from our Athletic Department and administration (including the hiring of a consultant) we have plans to advance the program to a conference where payouts are higher. If the MWC wants to retain its presence in the 5th largest media market it is a distinct possibility that North Texas would be chosen.

The depressing thing to me is to constantly see the doom and gloom of 'woe is me', we'll never be able to move from where we are now. It's true that our past has not been filled with agressive ambition to advance our cause, save for the Hayden Fry era. But, mostly it was because our administration was holding us back. That's not true of the last three presidents, however, and the current president has more experience with the NCAA than all of our previous presidents combined in our entire history. The times...they are a changin'.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 2

The poster had little to do with it. The premise came mostly from an interview with Craig Thompson by the Honolulu Star-Advertiser in which he intimated that the eastern terminus of the MWC would be Texas.

There are four Texas teams in the Big 12 and four in CUSA. Needless to say, the Big 12 schools will not move down in class. Neither will TCU, whose moving up created the possible vacancy. It has been stated that Houston, Rice and SMU are not interested in leaving CUSA for the MWC, which they consider a lateral move. UTEP has stated that it is happy in CUSA and would not consider a move if they are the only Texas team. That leaves only one Texas FBS team...North Texas.

This is only a premise. There have been no official meetings among MWC members nor public statements by the MWC office. This is pure off-season speculation. However, given the new stadium, a substantial increase in projected revenue, a new coaching staff with salaries commensurate with many MWC teams, and statements and actions from our Athletic Department and administration (including the hiring of a consultant) we have plans to advance the program to a conference where payouts are higher. If the MWC wants to retain its presence in the 5th largest media market it is a distinct possibility that North Texas would be chosen.

The depressing thing to me is to constantly see the doom and gloom of 'woe is me', we'll never be able to move from where we are now. It's true that our past has not been filled with agressive ambition to advance our cause, save for the Hayden Fry era. But, mostly it was because our administration was holding us back. That's not true of the last three presidents, however, and the current president has more experience with the NCAA than all of our previous presidents combined in our entire history. The times...they are a changin'.

The "woe is me", we'll never be able to move (or we are not worthy to move) from where we are now" is the cultural mind set of long past administrations. One of the main lessons that Hayden Fry tried to teach the North Texas alumni/students was that we were easily as good as anyone else in the nation.....we just had to believe it like he did. Hayden tried to teach us that we were good enough to ask the prettiest girl at the party to dance. Which is why he sought membership in the SWC for North Texas. It's taken us this long for many at North Texas to finally come around to his thinking.

South Florida obviously didn't have a "woe is me" mind-set. And look what conference they are in now? And they opened their doors in 1960.

BTW Jack, I love the Bob Dylan reference.

http://s0.ilike.com/play#Bob+Dylan:The+Times+They+Are+A-Changin%27:10280:s41533418.10996528.4657974.0.2.36%2Cstd_7ef9b96c67764a6683c32747ab699715

GreyEalgeOne, Thanks. I suppose my point was that, initially, it was a rumor from a new poster on his first post and appeared some members had the expressed conception that the invitatiion was tomorrow.

Glad to know, coming from you, that this was only a rumor.

Since the major conference shakeups really began a couple of two or three years ago we are always going to hear rumors. NT to CUSA....NT to MAC....NT to MWC....NT to Big 12. Glad to know that NT does not want to go to the WAC.