Riley Watch

DeepGreen

From Port Arthur News Sports Editor Bob Wests Sunday column-

" Lamar University, although it appears to be overloaded with quarterbacks, has set up a visit with former North Texas QB Riley Dodge. Todd Dodge’s son will be coming to Beaumont late this week, after making visits to three other Southland Conference schools — McNeese State, Southeastern Louisiana and Stephen F. Austin. I don’t care how many quarterbacks the Cardinals have, getting this kid would be a coup. He’s a natural-born leader, he’s like a coach on the field and he’s a terrific talent . . . If things had unfolded differently, Todd Dodge might have beaten his son to Lamar. When LU’s current offensive coordinator Todd Whitten was in the running for the head coaching job at San Angleo State, LU head football coach Ray Woodard discussed the possibility he would have an opening with Todd. San Angelo State went another direction, so nothing materialized. Dodge, by the way, is mulling over two or three possibilities as a college quarterback coach. None of them involve the University of Texas, which is disappointing . ."

I have a hard time believing that either Todd or Riley would be clamouring to get on board with Lamar.

• Upvote 1

" Lamar University, although it appears to be overloaded with quarterbacks, has set up a visit with former North Texas QB Riley Dodge. Todd Dodge’s son will be coming to Beaumont late this week, after making visits to three other Southland Conference schools — McNeese State, Southeastern Louisiana and Stephen F. Austin. I don’t care how many quarterbacks the Cardinals have, getting this kid would be a coup. He’s a natural-born leader, he’s like a coach on the field and he’s a terrific talent . . . If things had unfolded differently, Todd Dodge might have beaten his son to Lamar. When LU’s current offensive coordinator Todd Whitten was in the running for the head coaching job at San Angleo State, LU head football coach Ray Woodard discussed the possibility he would have an opening with Todd. San Angelo State went another direction, so nothing materialized. Dodge, by the way, is mulling over two or three possibilities as a college quarterback coach. None of them involve the University of Texas, which is disappointing . ."

I have a hard time believing that either Todd or Riley would be clamouring to get on board with Lamar.

Awww.... Damn shame Dodge can't go back to his College Alma Mater and ruin their Football Program like he did here at NT! And Riley to Lamar? It's called a PR move, even though Riley has nothing to do with his Dad's High School Alma Mater...besides being his son...which is no longer there.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 9

Can we stop the Dodge family love-fest please? I truly believe this is why we are where we are as a football program. We clamour to laud "good guys" and "warriors with heart" while the rest of 1A football looks for crazy things like "wins" and "production." This is why family members can accost gans at public events, because lil' ol' NT should appreciate nice guys who dont produce. Vizza was a QB who stood in the pocket and took a beating before deciding to transfer...we labeled him a quitter. Riley does the EXACT same thing...and is up for sainthood?! I guess because Vizza was big enough that he didnt have bounce back from injury then he's less worthy. Only at North Texas.

• Upvote 11
  • Downvote 17

I'll agree to stop the Dodge discussions about where they may end up, or as emmitt puts it, "the lovefest," if posters also agree to stop calling RD a spoiled brat, ertc..., and if you stop you constant envy laden posts of all things UT.

There is so much difference in character between Riley Dodge and Vizza that your comparison is ridiculous.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

I'll agree to stop the Dodge discussions about where they may end up, or as emmitt puts it, "the lovefest," if posters also agree to stop calling RD a spoiled brat, ertc..., and if you stop you constant envy laden posts of all things UT.

There is so much difference in character between Riley Dodge and Vizza that your comparison is ridiculous.

If we continue to trudge along in 1A obscurity we can look no further than posts like this.

And I'll stop my obsession with UT when you stop popping up like a herpes outbreak after every post I make (be it UT related or not).

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 14

" Lamar University, although it appears to be overloaded with quarterbacks, has set up a visit with former North Texas QB Riley Dodge. Todd Dodges son will be coming to Beaumont late this week, after making visits to three other Southland Conference schools McNeese State, Southeastern Louisiana and Stephen F. Austin. I dont care how many quarterbacks the Cardinals have, getting this kid would be a coup. Hes a natural-born leader, hes like a coach on the field and hes a terrific talent . . . If things had unfolded differently, Todd Dodge might have beaten his son to Lamar. When LUs current offensive coordinator Todd Whitten was in the running for the head coaching job at San Angleo State, LU head football coach Ray Woodard discussed the possibility he would have an opening with Todd. San Angelo State went another direction, so nothing materialized. Dodge, by the way, is mulling over two or three possibilities as a college quarterback coach. None of them involve the University of Texas, which is disappointing . ."

I am clueless regarding Riley but I believe that Todd would have enjoyed going back home. Todd still fondly remembers Jefferson County and would have no problem returning to his roots.

Lamar may not have the money to make a big splash but they were able to come up with $5 million when they needed it to improve their stadium. They'll be in one of the best FCS conferences so that'll be a plus. Also, don't bet the farm that Lamar may not eventually become a WAC member if that conference survives.

Maybe you're just too close within to see how it looks from without.

Edited by GrayEagle

Funny, I really don't "pop up" after all of your posts, but I find it funny that you get defensive as soon as I disagree with your post and point out your obsession with UT.

What does my post have to do with NT's place in 1A? That's pretty comical and I would love for you to expand on this thought.

Look, I liked Riley and especially like how he represented the program. I also respect his decision and his choice to transfer without uttering a bad word about North Texas. It would be nice to see the fans act in kind.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Funny, I really don't "pop up" after all of your posts, but I find it funny that you get defensive as soon as I disagree with your post and point out your obsession with UT.

What does my post have to do with NT's place in 1A? That's pretty comical and I would love for you to expand on this thought.

Look, I liked Riley and especially like how he represented the program. I also respect his decision and his choice to transfer without uttering a bad word about North Texas. It would be nice to see the fans act in kind.

So youre saying youre gonna leave and not disparage NT on your way out? Awesome.

While we're talking about things we find funny go back and research who first brought any mention of UT into this thread. I'm the one who's obsessed? Last I checked all I was talking about was how our fanbase (you included) goes all ga ga over "heart" and being a "warrior". Doubt any program who tastes consistent success posts thread after thread about their EX quarterback...unless he actually led them somewhere. (theres your place in 1A explanation)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 9

Leave N(? Me? Don't think so, and don't know where you got that idea.

The first UT reference was in the newspaper article actually, but you usually bring something up about them. Just because I liked him as a player and wish him well and wish our fans would act with the class he has exhibited doesn't make me infatuated with the Dodge's, but you will spin whatever I post to fit you intent.

Can we stop the Dodge family love-fest please? I truly believe this is why we are where we are as a football program. We clamour to laud "good guys" and "warriors with heart" while the rest of 1A football looks for crazy things like "wins" and "production." This is why family members can accost gans at public events, because lil' ol' NT should appreciate nice guys who dont produce. Vizza was a QB who stood in the pocket and took a beating before deciding to transfer...we labeled him a quitter. Riley does the EXACT same thing...and is up for sainthood?! I guess because Vizza was big enough that he didnt have bounce back from injury then he's less worthy. Only at North Texas.

THANK YOU

Actually this kind of makes sense. TD is from that area originally and Lamar coach Ray Woodard is a former Longhorn(may have been a team mate of TD).

Can someone make a list of topics that will not cause us to trudge along in 1A obscurity?

I've only been able to identify four:

1) Coach Mac: which denomination of US currency will he eventually end up on?

2) Cerebus: Has any message board ever been blessed with such an enlightened despot?

3) I35E and I35W: If we reroute them through the new stadium parking lot can we force everyone who drives on them to pay for season tickets?

4) Cerebus: Handsome man, or handsomist man?

I've only been able to identify four:

1) Coach Mac: which denomination of US currency will he eventually end up on?

2) Cerebus: Has any message board ever been blessed with such an enlightened despot?

3) I35E and I35W: If we reroute them through the new stadium parking lot can we force everyone who drives on them to pay for season tickets?

4) Cerebus: Handsome man, or handsomist man?

1) Coach Mac may be the first person in U.S. history to be on more than one bill denomination.

2) Ding! Ding! I think that you have a winner there.

3) I'm not sure that we can even route our shuttle busses through the new stadium parking lot.

4) It must be handsomist man since that word doesn't exist and handsome and most handsome don't seem to apply.

• Upvote 2

4) It must be handsomist man since that word doesn't exist and handsome and most handsome don't seem to apply.

As GrayEagle's attorney, I would like to plead temporary insanity and appeal to your handsomist, mercifulist nature.

And if that doesn't work, I will miss you, GrayEagle. Move over runaway dog and quarterback... The forum may be losing another loved one.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

As GrayEagle's attorney, I would like to plead temporary insanity and appeal to your handsomist, mercifulist nature.

And if that doesn't work, I will miss you, GrayEagle. Move over runaway dog and quarterback... The forum may be losing another loved one.

Does anyone have a headshot of GrayEagle, something that could fit on top of the board...no reason...ph34r.gif