Question For Lurking Isu Fans

Texas Stranger

Lee Freakin Jackson won't allow it.

It's not Lee Jackson. It's RV. He's on record that HE wants "NORTH TEXA"S on the helmet so that anytime we're on TV, internet, photographed in the paper, magazine, etc etc etc, it's easily understood you're looking at our team. (I emphaticlly disagree with this theory, but respect his decision) It doesnt matter who the coach is. They might change the uniforms, and would change the school colors to Brown and Lilac before RV will let go of the text on the helmet. If RV is here, the helmet will have words, not a logo, period...

What if Nike wanted to do something special for North Texas' football uniforms and go with the Eagle theme like they have with the Duck theme? I'd be all for it. The more attention on the program, the better!

Please, God no feathers on the shoulders! :o

Those SLC unis grew on me. Gimme a green helmet alternate with some green pant options and I'll be happy --- but I really want the Diving Eagle Logo on the sides of the helmets.

Make it so, Danny Mac. Make it so.

Yeah...the diving Eagle log would be AWESOME on a helmet...maybe with the wings flipping over the top of the helmet?? But, I would definitely love to see that logo on our next helmet...

• Upvote 2

For the most part I am on board with everything Oregon does in regards to uniforms. Just about every version I find awesome. The flat black helmets are really cool! Flat black NT helmets with the logo would be awesome.

Now granted I don't like everything they do, but you take the good with the bad.

Edited by SouthBendGreen
  • Upvote 1

I don't really want an eagle logo on our uniforms. A major part of branding is consistency. Our team name is the Mean Green. Our mascot is the eagle. The less opportunities for confusion the better. Just say no to eagle logos. We're the Mean Green. If we're going to spell something on our helmets, it should be that, and nothing else. If we're not going to spell anything out, our best bet is actually a plain green helmet, IMO. We don't have an NT logo in the current branding (that I have seen, anyway), so I don't think we'll see one. While I am also a fan of the wings on the Oregon jerseys (about the only thing I AM a fan of that they have), I don't really want to be the school that ripped off Oregon jerseys.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't really want an eagle logo on our uniforms. A major part of branding is consistency. Our team name is the Mean Green. Our mascot is the eagle. The less opportunities for confusion the better. Just say no to eagle logos. We're the Mean Green. If we're going to spell something on our helmets, it should be that, and nothing else. If we're not going to spell anything out, our best bet is actually a plain green helmet, IMO. We don't have an NT logo in the current branding (that I have seen, anyway), so I don't think we'll see one. While I am also a fan of the wings on the Oregon jerseys (about the only thing I AM a fan of that they have), I don't really want to be the school that ripped off Oregon jerseys.

This.

Except for the Oregon part.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We were the school that ripped off the Southlake Carroll jerseys...at least we would move that up to the college just like we have our coaching. B)

I am not a huge fan of the Oregon jerseys though.

Merchandise with logos sells better than merchandise without logos. The SOW logo is very sharp and we need to use it more often.

Iowa State uses Cyclones, but has Cy the Cardinal as their mascot, because having a logo that's just a cyclone would be about as dumb as branding yourself with green shirts that only say "North Texas" or "Mean Green".

On top of that, our fight song still says eagles, we still do the talon for kickoffs and free throws, our spirit group is the talons, and we have the Eagle Angels. Not to mention Scrappy and the eagle statue in the middle of campus.

This inferiority complex over our nickname kills me.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 1

Merchandise with logos sells better than merchandise without logos. The SOW logo is very sharp and we need to use it more often.

Iowa State uses Cyclones, but has Cy the Cardinal as their mascot, because having a logo that's just a cyclone would be about as dumb as branding yourself with green shirts that only say "North Texas" or "Mean Green".

On top of that, our fight song still says eagles, we still do the talon for kickoffs and free throws, our spirit group is the talons, and we have the Eagle Angels.

I love the SOW too, but it shouldn't be on the helmet. Too much confusion. Put it on the shoulders and/or the pants. Have the coaches wear it. Put it on every item you sell. Just leave it off the helmet. We compete under a color, and that color should he the primary focal point of the uniforms starting with the helmet.

A walking cyclone would be wild arse, hence the need for the cardinal. Our situation is different; more along the lines of Alabama. They don't throw an elephant on their helmet.

I don't understand how this is an inferiority complex about our nickname. The nickname is Mean Green, the mascot is Eagles. Or were you pointing out your complex?

• Downvote 1

I love the SOW too, but it shouldn't be on the helmet. Too much confusion. Put it on the shoulders and/or the pants. Have the coaches wear it. Put it on every item you sell. Just leave it off the helmet. We compete under a color, and that color should he the primary focal point of the uniforms starting with the helmet.

A walking cyclone would be wild arse, hence the need for the cardinal. Our situation is different; more along the lines of Alabama. They don't throw an elephant on their helmet.

I don't understand how this is an inferiority complex about our nickname. The nickname is Mean Green, the mascot is Eagles. Or were you pointing out your complex?

Inferiority complex in that people seem to think that no one will remember who we are unless we splash our name across the helmet, or if we "confuse" them with an eagle on it. We've picked a logo and we should use it. It's going to be at the 50 yard line in the new stadium, and it's a damn fine logo.

If we were still sporting cartoon scrappy, I would whole-heartedly agree with you.

transscrappy2.gif

vomit3.gif

• Downvote 1

Inferiority complex in that people seem to think that no one will remember who we are unless we splash our name across the helmet, or if we "confuse" them with an eagle on it. We've picked a logo and we should use it. It's going to be at the 50 yard line in the new stadium, and it's a damn fine logo.

If we were still sporting cartoon scrappy, I would whole-heartedly agree with you.

transscrappy2.gif

vomit3.gif

I happen to love cartoon Scrappy and bust out my old ball cap with him running on the back whenever I'm feeling "scrappy".

We all love the eagle, put it everywhere but the helmet is all I'm saying, or not saying. I'd prefer solid green or script "Mean Green". I'd even take an "NT" of some sort. I don't think the eagle logo would look that sharp on a helmet. Flying worm though, I'm in.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

On top of that, our fight song still says eagles, we still do the talon for kickoffs and free throws, our spirit group is the talons, and we have the Eagle Angels. Not to mention Scrappy and the eagle statue in the middle of campus.

x 1,000,000. Seriously, I know we're the Mean Green, and I'm proud of it. But when did we ever quit being the Eagles?

x 1,000,000. Seriously, I know we're the Mean Green, and I'm proud of it. But when did we ever quit being the Eagles?

Those of us that don't like the idea of an eagle on the helmet have nothing against being Eagles. We are Eagles, and I am proud of that.

Disagree.

helmet-45eaglegradient250.jpg

That did nothing but solidify my position. no.gif Doesn't work for me. The shape doesn't fit well.

Anyway, Go Mean Green! Whatever you wear.

Yep, it's too heavily weighted to the front top portion of the helmet. I've yet to see a helmet design with that logo look good.

We're not the Eagles anymore. We're the Mean Green. For reference:

http://www.meangreensports.com/ (Official Website of North Texas Mean Green Athletics)

Eagle is still the mascot. I don't have a problem with Eagle-related organizations, as we have an Eagle mascot. We've already changed the fight song once when we changed the University name to UNT, so I don't have a problem changing it again, though I'm ambivalent towards it from a branding standpoint since only students and alumni of the school will be singing it.

But Alabama gets by just fine with a scripted A, or 75-80% of merchandise that don't have an elephant on it.

I laughed at this. Not out loud though.

Oh my goodness the complex kills me too. But not as much as this:

.. and Branding talk. It's like people who request 'iconic' logos and designs. It doesn't work that way. Nebraska has a a letter. That's it. Why is it classic? Well because the image of those corn-fed basterds running all over you 63-0 is burned in your brain. Now, when you see that 'N' you think back to that and all that success.

When I say I want the Diving Eagle it is because it looks better than writing. I like that we have two names. Mean Green Eagles. It really isn't so difficult and shouldn't be hard to explain either.

We. Can. Be. Both.

Gimme an Eagle on the helmet and we wear green. I don't see the problem unless it is just aesthetics then we can agree to disagree. Just please don't cite branding. ugh.

Sorry if I talk about branding. I got degrees in marketing and graphic design from North Texas. So I'll continue to talk about it, since it's certainly relevant.

Yes, the reason you know the Nebraska brand is they've built over the years. North Texas has no national brand. And as such, now is the time to decide what brand you want to bring. NORTH TEXAS CHOSE the Mean Green, not the eagles, as the athletics brand. You can still get the eagle logo on the field, on random merchandise, etc. Nobody's saying you can't.

I'll take no logo over the eagle logo, and it looks bad on the helmet. I'll take the clawed "Mean Green" logo a thousand times over it.

And, more to the point, if Nebraska and Alabama can build branding with a script A and an upper case N, then surely we don't need an eagle on our helmets. Though I would argue also that some of the most successful brands in college football are built upon being unique. Cornhuskers, Longhorns, Badgers, Gators, Seminoles, Buckeyes, etc. About the only exception in the big boys is Trojans. Otherwise, you know what school all those teams belong to.