Latest Vito Blog On Coach Search

SUMG

Agreed. The year he took over at Iowa State - Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas State, and (Glen Mason-led) Kansas all had 10 win seasons and all finished in the Top 10 that year - Nebraska #1, Colorado #5, Kansas State #7, and Kansas #9.

The Big 8 then absorbed Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and Baylor from the failed SWC. Iowa State went to the North Division.

In 1996, Nebraska and Colorado from that division finished in the Top 10 and Kansas State in the Top 20.

in 1997, Nebraska and Kansas State finished in the Top 10 and Missouri in the Top 25.

In 1998, Kansas State State finished in the Top 10, and Missouri and Nebraska in the Top 25.

In 1999, Nebraska and Kansas State finished in the Top 10

In 2000, Nebraska and Kansas State finished in the Top 10...and McCarney's Iowa State Cyclones finished in the Top 25.

I'm not even including the rankings of the Big 12 South schools. During those seasons, Texas A&M, Texas, and Oklahoma all finished in the Top 10 in one or more seasons. Texas Tech and Oklahoma State also had Top 25 finishes. McCarney was coaching in the toughest conference during its zenith.

McCarney did an excellent job building Iowa State. Anyone who doesn't acknowledge that is simply willfully blind. He took of a team that had gone 0-10-1 the year before he arrived. The program hadn't won more than four games in six season, and had only three six win season in the prior 15 seasons (1981, 1986, and 1989).

McCarney's out of conference record, which I've already documented (29-17 with a 6-6 record over Big Ten, state-rival Iowa), was stellar. He's an excellent coach. And, in the Sun Belt, will have us winning out of the gate, if he's the choice.

He's a proven nationwide recruiter who hit all parts of Texas with Iowa State. He may not "excite" the fan base; but, with our schizophrenic, score-boarding fan base, that's probably a plus. High school coaches across the state and country know him and have trusted his players to him.

It's a big pick up for us, if McCarney's the guy. To me, the microcosm of his work as a DL coach, as well, is the Florida-Oklahoma national title game two years ago when the Gators made two goal line stands in the first half that probably cost the Sooners the game. I'll take that DL coach leading our program. The game is still won and lost in the trenches; and, McCarney knows all about winning those line battles against the best in the country.

A 9 paragraph justification to the most avid fans of UNT on the hiring of the new coach. See the problem?

With this hire, RV Has assured that fan patience will be at an all-time low.

Welcome, coach, nice to hav you here. Now, go out and win NOW, or else!!!!

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Yes, we could easily be at the top with the right coach. But, we, along with WKU, have been the doormat of the conference the past 5 years. We should give an honest assessment of how bad we really look right now.

Exactly. I want a Jim Leavitt, others want someone else. In reading thoughts expressed by my Mean Green brothers and sisters I often think that we forget that it is a two-way street. RV has one tough job here to reconcile our needs and wants with the demands and salary expectations of the candidates. IMO, until we win consistently and rise back to the top of the Sun Belt we can't afford to be too damned choosy. When we right this ship, THEN we can start thinking about conference affiliation and a higher-profile coach. Until then, we should just shut up and WIN! If we get Coach Mac, embrace him, give him your best support, and see what happens.

The best current scenario seems to me to be the one laid out by ParksAndRecRick where Coach Chico stays to be Asst HC and OC, with a commensurate hefty salary bump. Chico is a winner and ready to be HC somewhere but we are apparently passing him over. There is a lot of love for him here, and I hope this could work out.

Go Mean Green!! See ya'll in Denton in a couple of hours.

• Upvote 1

Woohoo!!! Cant you just hear those suites and season tickets selling due to this "splash" hire?!!!

P.S. I dont care if he's got more skins on the wall than Buffalo Bill, nobody in DFW is gonna stand up and take notice because 99.9% of people are gonna have to be told who he even is.

We've been of the same mind way too much lately.

I hate the idea of Big Dumb Dan McCarney coaching at this school.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

i love how people say ISU was the doormat of the big 12/8 so that is why it took so long. What about being the doormat of the sun belt?! How much harder is it to raise to the level of respectability being one of the worst teams in the worst conference when he couldn't do it with a team that had so much more than we do now. I think this isn't a good hire either. sad day.

I'm not so sure the sunbelt is the worst conference anymore.. It may seem like that this season, though.

A 9 paragraph justification to the most avid fans of UNT on the hiring of the new coach. See the problem?

With this hire, RV Has assured that fan patience will be at an all-time low.

Welcome, coach, nice to hav you here. Now, go out and win NOW, or else!!!!

Of course, if someone just wrote to look at Coach Mac's impressive resume then that would be attacked as not being enough.

"McCarney also fits the profile of the type of coach who typically come out of a search conducted by a firm. He's been around a long time and has made a lot of friends in the business."

Wasn't one of the objections to Dodge that he did not know anyone in the business and thus we got stuck with high school assistants? The more crap I read on this board the more I become convinced he must be the right man.

• Upvote 1

Woohoo!!! Cant you just hear those suites and season tickets selling due to this "splash" hire?!!!

P.S. I dont care if he's got more skins on the wall than Buffalo Bill, nobody in DFW is gonna stand up and take notice because 99.9% of people are gonna have to be told who he even is.

My weekend has been quite the contrary, bringing up McNarneys name in two convos. Neither UNT alumns...one being an Ohio grad (MAC). Both knew of him and spoke highly of what he did in Iowa and knew that he is currently in FL

Not that i think you're wrong...it speaks more about the football minds I was around Thursday ha!

My weekend has been quite the contrary, bringing up McNarneys name in two convos. Neither UNT alumns...one being an Ohio grad (MAC). Both knew of him and spoke highly of what he did in Iowa and knew that he is currently in FL

Not that i think you're wrong...it speaks more about the football minds I was around Thursday ha!

I have not spoken to a college football fan regarding this potential hire who did not know who he was or who did not think he would be a good hire. I am not saying they aren't out there, I just have not met them. Most seemed surprised that we could actually afford him.

I have not spoken to a college football fan regarding this potential hire who did not know who he was or who did not think he would be a good hire. I am not saying they aren't out there, I just have not met them. Most seemed surprised that we could actually afford him.

I do not get the how we can afford him argument. He was making 225,000 at ISU before he resigned four years ago.

I do not know if McCarney is the correct choice or not, but his feet will be held to the fire from day 1. RV had better hope this guy ends up with a bowl eligible team next year, or he needs to be looking for a job. If McCarney does not win, and win big, he will be what the RV administration is known for.

This can't be true. I don't think RV would allow a guy who is 30 games under .500 to be the "guy" from day one after promising a national search.

Time will tell as more details about the process leak out, but I won't be convinced Mccarney is the new coach until I see him sitting next to RV on Tuesday.

RV has been dishonest on many fronts, why expect anything else from him now. I am not a fan of his at all.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

RV has been dishonest on many fronts, why expect anything else from him now. I am not a fan of his at all.

How dare you doubt the GREATEST AD that NT has ever had. He built the athletic center. He allowed tailgating. He made a great hire in Jonny Jones. He hired Shanice Stephens, He hired Todd Dodge. He started Softball. And most importantly he is building the unnamed stadium on the other side of I35.

I do not get the how we can afford him argument. He was making 225,000 at ISU before he resigned four years ago.

I think your numbers are a little off. Based on the article below, his base was about $225, but he had incentives like shoe/apparel (i.e. guaranteed) to make is salary about $900K.

Also, for the record not saying I support this hire!

i don't know why you would make such a statement, and would like to know what specifically you think he has been dishonest about. i graduated in 66, have known most of the a.d.'s in the past 40 years, and combined they have not accomplished what rick has during his tenure.