Sbc 11/23

Florida Atlantic @ 14. Florida

Arkansas State vs. Pepperdine @ NIT Tip-Off

South Alabama @ UAB

UL - Lafayette @ Houston

SFA @ UL - Monroe

Florida has 3 wins against trash...and only really looked dominant in 1 of those games...and got run by Ohio State in Gainesville. I think they're highly over-rated...and I think FAU has the depth, size and athleticism to give the Gators problems. Really interested in the Ray Taylor / Ervin Walker match-up.

In fact, screw it...we need something this OOC...I'm putting in the call. FAU over Florida. Write it down.

ASU has yet to piece together a complete game...doubt it comes tonight. Pepperdine is only 1-4, but 2 losses were by 2 points and all 4 were against decent teams...including ULCA and Mizzou State.

USA needs this game...TTG and I highlighted them in another thread yesterday, but this is the start of a very tough stretch for the Jags.

After a less than stellar performance against NMSU, I think ULL has looked respectable against Creighton and Cleveland State (good teams)...CSU without Travis Bureau, BTW. Houston has 3 wins against sub-par competition and a tight loss to La Tech...I think this is a neutral court toss-up...Houston at home has the edge, but look for ULL to break through sometime this OOC.

I would assume Fred Brown is playing in a home game for ULM...with that in mind, give me the Warhawks.

If we had coaches in this league who made it a point to get their team ready to play from day one of the season, we'd probably go 3-2 tonight.

Instead, we've got too many guys that follow the Joe Scott philosophy of "we just need to be playing our best basketball by January 1st".

It's very possible, given the matchups today, that the Belt goes 0 for 5. If South Alabama can avoid another USM meltdown, they can play with UAB. If Arkansas State ever decides to start the season, they ought to be able to beat Pepperdine.

In a better world, we ought to go 3-2 tonight. Given what we're seeing this year, I'd be quite content with 2-3. Honestly, I just hope the whole day isn't a giant crotch kick.

• Upvote 2

"I don't need anybody telling me how to schedule or who to schedule." - John Brady, Arkansas State head coach.

Arkansas State: 0-5. OOC games remaining against Georgia, Memphis, and at Missouri State (a team that already beat ASU at ASU by 9 points).

Maybe Brady really could use a little friendly advice on scheduling better. Or maybe he's just been terrible at getting his team to show up and play.

----------

“Two years ago, in our second year, it took us until February 15 — the last three weeks of the season — to play our best basketball. Last year, it took till February 1 — the last 10 games, for 5 weeks, we played our best basketball. Well, now, we gotta be doing it on January 1. And that’s called competing for a conference championship.” - Joe Scott, Denver head coach.

It's also called f---ing up the conference RPI when all you care about is playing worth a damn once conference season rolls around. Which is what you're doing when you start 0-4.

----------

Not pleased with the conference this season. UALR should not be a banner program for OOC play at this point in their rebuilding phase (no disrespect to the Trojans).