What Should The Sbc Do Next?

shaft

I voted for nothing for now. I don't think any of those teams add enough to offset their share of conference revenue.

Bingo. La Tech has been a collective group of ignorant everything (from fans all the way up to the University President). They want nothing to do with us and we should want nothing to do with them. Their administration has spoken out publicly against the Belt and blocked UL from their Indy Bowl bid a couple of years ago out of spite. We do not need three schools in Louisiana and we definitely do not need to add NMSU as long as they have a home. If NMSU were to lose their home and ask for a new one - I would not be against it - but the Belt is fine the way it is. NMSU is not in a market that we need or want and their product is sub par.

Before all the teams that ment anything left the WAC, I thought it was a good option for North Texas. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I was wrong. Very, very wrong.

That said, with only 7 members and no primary bowl ties that I can think of, the WAC is dead. In my opinion, the death of the WAC is good for the Sun Belt. I say let LA Tech, NMSU, Idaho, San Jose St., and Utah St. be cast down to FCS football with Texas State and UTSA. They wanted to play football with those schools anyway.

While I wouldn't mind a 12-team conference I don't think that the SBC should pursue any other schools at this time.

A 12-team league would reduce travel expenses but the NCAA funds would have to be split two additional ways. Still, with less total teams in the FBS it's likely that we'd still get as much or more than in the past.

No San Jose or Idaho. If La Tech, NMSU or Utah State applied we should only take two unless a current member could somehow be eliminated or if the SBC decided to go to 13, 14, or 16.

Just don't go after them; let them come to us. :no:

I wouldn't be opposed to a merger, but force the WAC's hand and make it be on OUR terms. If they don't like it, then they can all drop to 1AA. La Tech, The only way I say let them back in is if they grovel out WW's feet and publicly apologize to ULM, ULL, WW, and the SBC.

I vote do nothing. If we did add, I would be in favor of NMSU (football only) and LT with equal divisions. Also I would require a buy in of say $300,000 for LT and $100,000 for NMSU.

EAST: NT, LT, ULM, ULL, ASU, NMSU/UALR

WEST: FIU, FAU, TROY, USA, MTSU, WKU

Championship at home of team with best record.

Edited by MCMLXXX

I don't get the hate for LA Tech. Their position is understandable; they we're in the SBC and it didn't do much for them. They based their capital campaign on separating themselves from kid brothers Monroe and Lala (

sort of like how we feel about Texas State).

UTSA is just a good market and nothing more. San Antonio is a good marketing for recruiting and better road trip than Las Cruses.

I say drop Arkansas Little Rock and move to 12.

SBC-West

UNT

+UTSA

A-State

+LA Tech

ULL

ULM

SBC-East

MTSU

WKU

Troy

+USA

FAU

FIU

All division games would be within 6 hours of each other

Why in the world would anyone from NT want La Tech in the Belt? Other than them being the closest to Denton, what do they add? Forget all their delusional fans and administration, they probably are the biggest direct competitor to NT for recruits. One Northern Louisiana team is enough for me. If you are going after anyone from the WAC, NMSU is the best choice, at least they would up the basketball profile. If you want to go based on potential go UTSA. They like La Tech would be a big recruiting rival but at least games in San Antonio would be better than Ruston.

I have stated I like La Tech ability to do a lot with relatively little, but the Belt already has a North Louisiana representative as well as the Cajuns. I see all the Louisiana schools ex LSU having a difficult time as they all depend heavily on state funds. I'm not sure even if La Tech lowered themselves to the Belt level, that they would get the support from the other Belt schools for entrance. UTSA has not played a down of football but being located in one of the largest cities in the USA gives them greater potential than TSSM or La Tech. If I had my preference, I would have the Belt stay as is. The only real reason I see for expansion is to kill the WAC and I'm not sure that is worthwhile and it is certainly not the best of causes.

Why in the world would anyone from NT want La Tech in the Belt? ... they probably are the biggest direct competitor to NT for recruits.

Why are you scared of competition? We already compete with them for recruits now, being in the same conference probably makes it easier to recruit the area.

The only real reason I see for expansion is to kill the WAC and I'm not sure that is worthwhile and it is certainly not the best of causes.

Killing the WAC has huge upside for the SBC. It would increase the our portion of the non-AQ BCS payout and eliminate one more recruiting tool for LA Tech.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Killing the WAC has huge upside for the SBC. It would increase the our portion of the non-AQ BCS payout and eliminate one more recruiting tool for LA Tech.

This would be my reason for going after NMSU; I don't think La Tech would seriously consider the SBC, even now. It also puts us in the position of power to do what we want. If the WAC falls, the remnants will be clamoring for a home and several of them will HAVE to come to the SBC and we would be able to dictate whatever terms we want (assuming we had any interest).

• Upvote 2

This would be my reason for going after NMSU; I don't think La Tech would seriously consider the SBC, even now. It also puts us in the position of power to do what we want. If the WAC falls, the remnants will be clamoring for a home and several of them will HAVE to come to the SBC and we would be able to dictate whatever terms we want (assuming we had any interest).

Good to hear from you Moot. Hope you hang close the next couple of weeks :-)

GMG!

Shocking! 41 people would rather travel to the armpit of Louisiana at Ruston than the beautiful hill country in San Marcus?

Rick

I think if they already played FBS ball the answer for many would be different. They aren't. We are considered the lowest conference because we invited one (1) FCS school to join to have enough teams. We don't need to do that again. If a school that is already a conference member moves up, that is completely different. Just look at Connecticut or perhaps Nova.

Just say no to being the nursery conference.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

. We are considered the lowest conference because we invited one (1) FCS school to join to have enough teams.

We are considered the lowest conference because how the league has performed on the field. After 10 years we are struggling just to get teams to 6 wins.

I think if they already played FBS ball the answer for many would be different. They aren't. We are considered the lowest conference because we invited one (1) FCS school to join to have enough teams. We don't need to do that again. If a school that is already a conference member moves up, that is completely different. Just look at Connecticut or perhaps Nova.

Just say no to being the nursery conference.

All of the SBC teams have been FCS/1-AA teams at one time except Louisiana. Only Arkansas State, Louisiana and us (that are still members) were FBS/1-A at the time of joining. FAU, FIU and Troy came directly from Division 1-AA and they seem to be working out okay.

If you don't have a viable league (enough FBS members) then FCS is a stigma in that they don't count as full-fledged FBS for two years.

Personally, I'd like to see them raise the attendance requirement to 20,000 and enforce it. An FCS team would have to meet that requirement to be eligible but they would be members the first year.

NMSU has one of the worst football programs in the nation and has for the past 50 years.

Yet even in the first year of Sun Belt play and at the level it was the NMSU Aggies may have played us in the most exciting game ever at Fouts Field when half the stadium rushed the goal post after a Mean Green win. None of our SMU wins were that exciting albeit most satisfying.

Weeks after we beat NMSU, we had our heads handed to us by Colorado State but the Mean Green/Aggie game of that season was a great game for the fans--NMSU had about 1,500 of their own there that night, too. The stadium crowd noise that night was very impressive even in one of the most accoustically dead stadiums in the NCAA.

Many of us will marvel next Fall at all the usual things you do when you first walk inside a new stadium when our long over-due football palace makes its debut, but I will moreso look forward to hearing increased crowd noise we know this dug out bowl of a stadium will allow to happen.

GMG!