Yes, Rushing The Court May Have Been Unnecessary...

NTerock

Awesome video!

I don't see how this is unnecessary? An overtime thriller against a big name school in the state, with a packed crowd on a banner raising night. Anything less but a crowd rush would have been a let down in my opinion. If you pause at 1:09 you can see me at the top of the three point arch.

crap- I meant to give you a plus one, clicked the wrong one. Obviously I'm still gittery about tonight.

Edited by Eastwood Eagle
  • Upvote 1

When it was clear we were going to win, UNT police started lining up in front of the Pit Crew. We thought they were going to prevent us from leaving the stands, and it looked like they made a half-hearted effort to stop the first few students. But there was no stopping the emotion of this night.

This is going to be a special season.

Cool videos. Still not a fan of rushing the court against Tech, HOWEVER, as long as the students there last night had a great time and continue to come out and support (which I believe they will), I don't really have a huge issue with it.

The Pit Crew was great last night! They created a great basketball atmosphere. Enough so in fact that the rest of the crowd pretty much stood during the end of regulation and for the duration of overtime. It really showed what basketball could be like at North Texas on a consistent basis if we get buy in from everyone. Fun times.

rushing the court because we beat the maybe the 5th best team in the big xii south is probably overboard. it should be reserved for beating top 20 teams...at least until we are in the top 20.

I agree with you in principal, but give a student body who hasn't seen much in the way of AD success a break and let them have their fun. When beating up on Big XII teams becomes a norm, then the students will rightfully act like they've seen it before. Keep the wins coming, and there's no reason, given UNT's facilities, that home games against bigger prey shouldn't be in order.

For the time being, UNT probably just increased its average home attendance by a bit because those students will be back. They'll see UNT walking over its Sunbelt competition. They'll come back for more. For my part, it was a brilliant move in scheduling to bring in a well known name that is totally beatable.

Next step in the immediate future is a first round win in the NCAA. Get a couple more OOC wins, win the division and the conference tourney, and a 12 seed should be in order. Anybody who has ever filled out a bracket knows that the 12 seed always wins.

On a somewhat related note, Rick's been going all over campus promoting the basketball team to students. I mean, he's personally going out, gathering up groups of students, sitting them down in the union, and telling them to get their butts in the seats. Shameless, incorrigible behavior. It's like he's trying to justify his job or something!

• Upvote 2

Jarion Henry was there last night and talked about the crowd size, participation, and rushing the court the rest of the night. Great win and great celebration. Reminds me of when we beat Middle Tennesse and brought down the goal posts! Love this

I figured the other basketball recruits in the dallas area were there last night. I hope they were encouraged with what they saw.

Edited by Travis

I figured the other basketball recruits in the dallas area were there last night. I hope they were encouraged with what they saw.

I think everyone was encouraged with what they saw. Last night was a flash of what North Texas as a basketball school will look like. Chokes me up. :cry:

I'm assuming Jarion hasn't committed anywhere yet? What would our class be ranked if he decided to come on-board? #31 to... #24? :w00t:

Edited by ColoradoEagle

I know some say rushing the court was over the top, that we should "expect" to beat teams like Tech. But when you have suffered through several horrible football seasons and you beat a Big 12 school on the hardcourt, you have to cut them some slack.

This was the best possible outcome in terms of generating student and community interest. I just wish some video had made it onto the 10 o'clock news.

I know some say rushing the court was over the top, that we should "expect" to beat teams like Tech. But when you have suffered through several horrible football seasons and you beat a Big 12 school on the hardcourt, you have to cut them some slack.

This was the best possible outcome in terms of generating student and community interest. I just wish some video had made it onto the 10 o'clock news.

I was thinking in the final seconds that I wished the students would not rush the floor. But, after they did, I kinda changed my mind.

I agree with you in principal, but give a student body who hasn't seen much in the way of AD success a break and let them have their fun. When beating up on Big XII teams becomes a norm, then the students will rightfully act like they've seen it before. Keep the wins coming, and there's no reason, given UNT's facilities, that home games against bigger prey shouldn't be in order.

Lack of AD success?

Don't throw the entire department under the bus because you only go to mens bball and football games.

Generalizing can be convenient. But try attending a soccer, vball, golf or tennis match and maybe youll feel the need to be more specific.

Lack of AD success?

Don't throw the entire department under the bus because you only go to mens bball and football games.

Generalizing can be convenient. But try attending a soccer, vball, golf or tennis match and maybe youll feel the need to be more specific.

I don't feel the need to be more specific. For student spectator interest, it goes football, basketball, and in a distant third-place, baseball. Period. The first has been horrific since current seniors were freshmen in high school, the second has done well, but with limited exposure, and the third just plain doesn't exist.

Even national championships in soccer, vball, golf, or tennis aren't going to garner much more than a collective, "Huh. Cool!" from the overall student body. That's why they're call non-revenue sports, or in a more politically correct world, olympic sports.

• Upvote 3

It is November 2030. Joe and Sam are sitting in a bar, watching a basketball game on a big screen.

Joe: Remember when we beat Tech to launch that amazing season?

Sam: I'll never forget. I remember the end of OT, when all of us calmly reviewed the stats, commented incisively on the play of various players, and then, in the sober understanding that this should be considered a routine win, filed out of the coliseum in a quiet and orderly manner. I'll cherish that feeling of jaded restraint forever.

Joe: Yeah, good times. Wish I had a video.

• Upvote 4

---Rushing the court may seem extreme ... but Big XII teams just seem not to appear in Denton.. So no big deal.. go for it.

---The best home victory I witnessed was against Cincinnati back in in 1965... They had been the National Champion for two years of the three years prior to that.

We were a member of the Missouri Valley, the strongest basketball conference in America at the time..[ the ACC wasn't.. it was an all-white league then ]

5 members of the MVC were in top 10 at Christmas of my senior year (1966- Wichita,Louisville,Cincinnati,Drake,Bradley). We had a lot of future NBA players coming to town, including Wes Unseld, now as member of the NBA hall of fame.

Let's keep it going and show up for games.... show Texas and others that we care.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

--This also shows what type of crowd we WOULD attract if we were a member of a better known conference.

This is true in both basketball and football. Hope others take note of this... we would be a good addition...