Shawn Williams Quits Ut Hoops Team

SUMG

How much eligibility would he have if he came here?

Two and a half.

He'll transfer somewhere at the semester break, then be eligible at the new school for the Spring semester (technically, right after the end of the Fall semester) next season.

He's a RS Freshman now, so he'll miss November and most of December of next year (his Sophomore year), but be able to play around Christmas through conference season and the late OOC games. Late December-March participation for the 2011-12 season. Then he'll have his full Junior and Senior years of eligibility for 2012-13 and 2013-14.

There wouldn't be a total layoff from basketball, either. Williams would be able to practice with his new team as soon as he's enrolled and cleared... He'll only miss 7-8 weeks of organized basketball activity, then be back practicing at his new school in January.

• Upvote 1

More Shawn Williams data:

Ranked the 53rd overall best prospect in the country in the class of 2009 by ESPN. Score of 93, 11th best SF prospect that year. 3rd best HS/Prep recruit in the state of Texas that year, tied with Nolan Dennis.

And speaking of Dennis... Might HE be thinking of transferring with the limited minutes and highly regarded recruits on the way in Waco? I know GreenBat wrote a great article on him back when he was coming out of high school. He's too good to sit but may not be great enough to fight his way through the logjam of talent at Baylor.

Two and a half.

He'll transfer somewhere at the semester break, then be eligible at the new school for the Spring semester (technically, right after the end of the Fall semester) next season.

He's a RS Freshman now, so he'll miss November and most of December of next year (his Sophomore year), but be able to play around Christmas through conference season and the late OOC games. Late December-March participation for the 2011-12 season. Then he'll have his full Junior and Senior years of eligibility for 2012-13 and 2013-14.

There wouldn't be a total layoff from basketball, either. Williams would be able to practice with his new team as soon as he's enrolled and cleared... He'll only miss 7-8 weeks of organized basketball activity, then be back practicing at his new school in January.

Awesome! But why would he not have just left before this semester and saved himself 3 full years of eligibility? This will be the last question for now, Tasty. :D

Awesome! But why would he not have just left before this semester and saved himself 3 full years of eligibility? This will be the last question for now, Tasty. :D

I'm borrowing heavily from things Cooley has discussed elsewhere...

Williams didn't have much chance to play last year, then got injured to boot. They gave him a medical redshirt and that's why he's still a freshman in eligibility. But Texas has an incoming freshman named Tristan Thompson that was one of the top overall recruits in the country, and he plays the same position.

Couldn't get minutes, probably won't get many this year, and the guy ahead of him on the depth chart is younger than he is.

As for why he waited... He's talented, and I'm sure the coaches were in his ear about how he should stick around and possibly work his way into the rotation. Because you never know... Thompson could have had academic issues, or gotten hit by a bus or something. Never want to see talent walk out the door, even at a major program.

But now that we're up to the first week of the season, it probably got to be quite obvious after a month of practice that there weren't going to be any minutes for him this year. So he's moving on.

He was rumored as a possible summer transfer, with us and SMU as potential destinations. But SMU doesn't have a ship available right now... In fact, they lost out on a transfer named Sean Kowal because he would have had to walk on there and pay his own way.

Anyway, now Williams is officially leaving, and anywhere he goes he'll either have to pay his own way through the year or pick a destination with an available scholarship in pocket.

We have TWO. The one that should have been RJ McGhee, and the one that used to be Collin Mangrum.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Edited by TheTastyGreek

From the Austin-American Statesman:

A source familiar with the situation said Williams considered transferring to another school during the summer because of concerns about playing time.

The source said that Barnes gave Williams pep talks about his role on the team, but that Williams did not necessarily believe he would receive a lot of playing time.

I'm borrowing heavily from things Cooley has discussed elsewhere...

Williams didn't have much chance to play last year, then got injured to boot. They gave him a medical redshirt and that's why he's still a freshman in eligibility. But Texas has an incoming freshman named Tristan Thompson that was one of the top overall recruits in the country, and he plays the same position.

Couldn't get minutes, probably won't get many this year, and the guy ahead of him on the depth chart is younger than he is.

As for why he waited... He's talented, and I'm sure the coaches were in his ear about how he should stick around and possibly work his way into the rotation. Because you never know... Thompson could have had academic issues, or gotten hit by a bus or something. Never want to see talent walk out the door, even at a major program.

But now that we're up to the first week of the season, it probably got to be quite obvious after a month of practice that there weren't going to be any minutes for him this year. So he's moving on.

He was rumored as a possible summer transfer, with us and SMU as potential destinations. But SMU doesn't have a ship available right now... In fact, they lost out on a transfer named Sean Kowal because he would have had to walk on there and pay his own way.

Anyway, now Williams is officially leaving, and anywhere he goes he'll either have to pay his own way through the year or pick a destination with an available scholarship in pocket.

We have TWO. The one that should have been RJ McGhee, and the one that used to be Collin Mangrum.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Wouldn't he face the same situation here with Williams committed for next year? Also, wouldn't that make us a little heavy at the 3 and light at the 4 or 5?

Don't get me wrong, I'd take him in a second, just had some questions.

Wouldn't he face the same situation here with Williams committed for next year? Also, wouldn't that make us a little heavy at the 3 and light at the 4 or 5?

Don't get me wrong, I'd take him in a second, just had some questions.

If he comes here, we could have a rotation of Alzee/Norris/Jones at point (probably with emphasis on Norris and Jones) and Jordan Williams/Shawn Williams/Alzee/Brandon Walton at the other two spots.

Honestly, a lineup where Norris (5'10") is at the point would be helped significantly with two other guards at 6'6" or 6'7".

As far as our depth in the post, next year we'll have Holmen, Robinson, Edwards, Hogans, and Knox. Two deep plus Ben, and I expect one more post player to come in this year's class along with Robinson.

The thought of going through a season with Alzee (6'4"), Jordan and Shawn Williams (both listed at a minimum of 6'6") starting on the wing and Kedrick Hogans and Jacob Holmen or Alonzo Edwards in the paint... We'd be a size matchup nightmare for pretty much every team on our schedule.

Edited by TheTastyGreek

If he comes here, we could have a rotation of Alzee/Norris/Jones at point (probably with emphasis on Norris and Jones) and Jordan Williams/Shawn Williams/Alzee/Brandon Walton at the other two spots.

Honestly, a lineup where Norris (5'10") is at the point would be helped significantly with two other guards at 6'6" or 6'7".

As far as our depth in the post, next year we'll have Holmen, Robinson, Edwards, Hogans, and Knox. Two deep plus Ben, and I expect one more post player to come in this year's class along with Robinson.

The thought of going through a season with Alzee (6'4"), Jordan and Shawn Williams (both listed at a minimum of 6'6") starting on the wing and Kedrick Hogans and Jacob Holmen or Alonzo Edwards in the paint... We'd be a size matchup nightmare for pretty much every team on our schedule.

When I see that lineup I think more of how we be at a huge athletic advantage against most opponents. Long on the outside and athletic at every position on the court.

UNT is really counting on these guys to develop an inside presence, when their preference is being more perimeter oriented big men. I know this is really, really nitpicking here, but we are going to need a replacement for George at the end of this year, and, outside of Hogans, that guy hasn't shown to be on the roster yet.. Hopefully, with the last scholly we can land a 6"9" banger.

And, on the bright side, at least I'm not wanting the last scholarship spent on a point guard.

Edit: Call it the Howerton syndrome, but I won't count on any production from Knox until I see... consistent production from Knox.

Edited by UNT90

SMU could free up a ship, cause TK graduates in December. That said, it's not clear if they have actual interest in Williams, should he even have interest in them. I don't believe his Dad is much of a Doh fan, or wasn't a few years back.

wait....when did anyone start talking about SMU....

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Just for the record, JJ said two interesting things regarding how we may use the 3 remaining scholarships (2 of which are currently open).

First, he made it a point to start by saying that the early signing window doesn't close until the 17th. Maybe we're not done just yet?

Second, he (unprompted) started discussing the possibility of using open scholarships on transfer players.

He can't talk about potential additions that aren't official yet, so I had no intention of asking him about transfers... But he brought it up himself.

For anyone who wants to wildly overreact to possible vague hints... There you have it.

Just for the record, JJ said two interesting things regarding how we may use the 3 remaining scholarships (2 of which are currently open).

First, he made it a point to start by saying that the early signing window doesn't close until the 17th. Maybe we're not done just yet?

Second, he (unprompted) started discussing the possibility of using open scholarships on transfer players.

He can't talk about potential additions that aren't official yet, so I had no intention of asking him about transfers... But he brought it up himself.

For anyone who wants to wildly overreact to possible vague hints... There you have it.

I may just be having a brain fart, but where is that third scholarship coming from, and when will it open up?

I may just be having a brain fart, but where is that third scholarship coming from, and when will it open up?

We have six graduating seniors: George, Josh, Tristan, Dominique, Cam Spencer, and Shannon Shorter.

We have two open scholarships still outstanding: The one that used to be Collin Mangrum and the one that used to be RJ McGhee. Both could have been filled with players who would have been eligible for this season, but instead we're keeping them in reserve rather than using them on the options that were available over the summer. Or, in McGhee's case... Because we were already into the school year when he became an academic casualty and left for a JUCO.

With five LOI's signed for the 2011 class, that leaves 3 open scholarships: One that becomes available at the end of this school year (currently applied to one of the six seniors) and two that could be used at any time between now and then. We could bring in Williams AND another midyear transfer without either of them having to walk on or wait until next academic year to enroll.

I was thinking the exact same thing about the transfers. To me it sounded like JJ has a transfer up his sleeve, but of course he can't say anything.

We have six graduating seniors: George, Josh, Tristan, Dominique, Cam Spencer, and Shannon Shorter.

We have two open scholarships still outstanding: The one that used to be Collin Mangrum and the one that used to be RJ McGhee. Both could have been filled with players who would have been eligible for this season, but instead we're keeping them in reserve rather than using them on the options that were available over the summer. Or, in McGhee's case... Because we were already into the school year when he became an academic casualty and left for a JUCO.

With five LOI's signed for the 2011 class, that leaves 3 open scholarships: One that becomes available at the end of this school year (currently applied to one of the six seniors) and two that could be used at any time between now and then. We could bring in Williams AND another midyear transfer without either of them having to walk on or wait until next academic year to enroll.

According to the DRC this morning, UNT has seven scholarships open for next year.