American Ingenuity, Fortitude, Equipment And Enterprise

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101009/ap_on_bi_ge/lt_chile_mine_collapse_americans

Jeff Hart was drilling water wells for the U.S. Army’s forward operating bases in Afghanistan when he got the call to fly to Chile. He spent the next 33 days on his feet, operating the drill that finally provided a way out Saturday for 33 trapped miners. “You have to feel through your feet what the drill is doing; it’s a vibration you get so that you know what’s happening,” explained Hart, a contractor from Denver, Colorado. A muscular, taciturn man with callused hands and a sunburned face, Hart normally pounds rock for oil or water. He’s used to extreme conditions while he works the hydraulic levers that guide the drills’ hammers…

…Geotec operations manager James Stefanic said he quickly assembled “a top of the line team” of drillers who are intimately familiar with the key equipment, including engineers from two Pennsylvania companies — Schramm Inc., which makes the T130 drill, and Center Rock Inc., which makes the drill bits.

…Standing before the levers, pressure meters and gauges on the T130′s control panel, Hart and the rest of the team faced many challenges in drilling the shaft. At one point, the drill struck a metal support beam in the poorly mapped mine, shattering its hammers. Fresh equipment had to be flown in from the United States and progress was delayed for days as powerful magnets were lowered to pull out the pieces…

…Hart has a home in Denver but works for long periods abroad as a contractor for the Layne Christensen company based in Mission Woods, Kansas.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

And, how many national news outlets even mentioned this???? Our President did not even acknowledge the help and aid that the US sent to the people in Chile. I agree that Chile deserves to "moment", but as an American I am very proud to know that American free enterprise and business skill made this rescue possible. Mining accounts for 40% of the economy in Chile, yet Chile did not have the machinery or skills to make this rescue happen as fast as it did. The firm that manufactures that drill bit is a very small Pennsylvania firm. In addition, food sent to the miners was from NASA and our space program. American engineers and drillers were on site every day, etc. I am proud to know that when disaster strikes, American ingenuity and American businesses and corporations come to the aid of those in need. Chile gets their day, but it would not be Chile's Day without the help of American free enterprise. Did you read about the socks that were sent to the miners with special bacteria fighting agents? Probably not because they were American made and American engineered...the director of Mines for Chile is even quoted as saying that he didn't even know such things existed. All due to the American free enterprise system, thank you very much!

CONGRATULATIONS to CHILE...well done. And thanks to America for providing the experience, equipment and knowledge to make it happen. Partnerships are great things when they work this well.

By the way, our President couldn't even bring himself to mention the part America played in the rescue in his congratulatory comments to Chile yesterday. Nice!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

WE JUST GOT THE LAST OF 30 SOME ODD, POOR AND PROBABLY EXPLOITED LABORERS OUT OF A SPACE THE SIZE OF A '78 BUICK SKYLARK AND YOU PEOPLE ARE UPSET THAT AMERICA ISN'T BASKING IN THE LIMELIGHT?

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

Show a bit of humility, please. We do it because its what we do and its right...not for the fame, glory, notoriety, respect, recognition or any other accolades.

Good Lord.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

WE JUST GOT THE LAST OF 30 SOME ODD, POOR AND PROBABLY EXPLOITED LABORERS OUT OF A SPACE THE SIZE OF A '78 BUICK SKYLARK AND YOU PEOPLE ARE UPSET THAT AMERICA ISN'T BASKING IN THE LIMELIGHT?

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

Show a bit of humility, please. We do it because its what we do and its right...not for the fame, glory, notoriety, respect, recognition or any other accolades.

Good Lord.

What do you think about that Mr. Washington?

"dey did what dey do."

By the way, our President couldn't even bring himself to mention the part America played in the rescue in his congratulatory comments to Chile yesterday. Nice!

Zombie Politician Lombardi would say "Act like you've been there before" if we did an elaborate celebration dance every time we made it to the endzone.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Zombie Politician Lombardi would say "Act like you've been there before" if we did an elaborate celebration dance every time we made it to the endzone.

Going overboard is one thing...acting like it didn't happen is another matter. Just another show of the President's slant on the nation he is supposed to represent. Sort of like all that apologizing and bowing. To not even recognize the help that American and American business gave that made this rescue possible in the first place is STUPID. Yes, of course, you give Chile their day in the sun and you certainly do not try to upstage the day...but, acknowledging the partnership and participation of a great number of Americans and American skill does nothing to "brag" or steal the show.

Get over the fact that America is a great nation and one you should be proud of, and stop trying to apologize for everything. Acting as if America is some do-nothing, know-nothing nation is a crock! There is one nation the world always calls when trouble strikes...and that is America. Half the time the generosity of the American people and American businesses is not even acknowledged.

Act like you have been there before...absolutely...sit back and be taken for granted (even by your own President)...NO WAY! Get over it and stop trying to apologize for the greatness that is the United States and its extremely generous people.

I am truly sorry that it has become popular with some to think they need to apologize for this great nation of ours. I wonder how many that think that way have ever worn the uniform of this great nation? Just saying.......

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

October 13, 2010.

“This is obviously something that’s captivated the world’s attention and this rescue is a tribute not only to the determination of the rescue workers and the Chilean government, but also the unity and resolve of the Chilean people who have inspired the world. And I want to express the hopes of the American people that the miners who are still trapped underground will be returned home safely as soon as possible.

“Let me also commend so many people of goodwill, not only in Chile, but also from the United States and around the world, who are lending a hand in this rescue effort — from the NASA team that helped design the escape vehicle, to American companies that manufactured and delivered parts of the rescue drill, to the American engineer who flew in from Afghanistan to operate the drill.

“Last night, the whole world watched the scene at Camp Esperanza as the first miner was lifted out from under more than 2,000 feet of rock and then embraced by his young son and family. And the tears they shed — after so much time apart — expressed not only their own relief, not only their own joy, but the joy of people everywhere. So it was a thrilling moment and we’re hopeful that those celebrations duplicate themselves throughout the rest of today."

GOOD. GOD. STOP. TRYING. TO. POLITICIZE. ABSOLUTELY. EVERYTHING. ESPECIALLY. A. G.D. RESCUE. MISSION.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

October 13, 2010.

“This is obviously something that’s captivated the world’s attention and this rescue is a tribute not only to the determination of the rescue workers and the Chilean government, but also the unity and resolve of the Chilean people who have inspired the world. And I want to express the hopes of the American people that the miners who are still trapped underground will be returned home safely as soon as possible.

“Let me also commend so many people of goodwill, not only in Chile, but also from the United States and around the world, who are lending a hand in this rescue effort — from the NASA team that helped design the escape vehicle, to American companies that manufactured and delivered parts of the rescue drill, to the American engineer who flew in from Afghanistan to operate the drill.

“Last night, the whole world watched the scene at Camp Esperanza as the first miner was lifted out from under more than 2,000 feet of rock and then embraced by his young son and family. And the tears they shed — after so much time apart — expressed not only their own relief, not only their own joy, but the joy of people everywhere. So it was a thrilling moment and we’re hopeful that those celebrations duplicate themselves throughout the rest of today."

GOOD. GOD. STOP. TRYING. TO. POLITICIZE. ABSOLUTELY. EVERYTHING. ESPECIALLY. A. G.D. RESCUE. MISSION.

Were we in the country legally? What if the Americans there had gotten injured and needed to take advantage of their health care system? Were they angry about having to talk to the Americans in English?

And did those miners have their birth certificates with them when they came up the rescue shaft? Because I've heard persistent rumors that most of them are actually from Venezuela.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Were we in the country legally? What if the Americans there had gotten injured and needed to take advantage of their health care system? Were they angry about having to talk to the Americans in English?

And did those miners have their birth certificates with them when they came up the rescue shaft? Because I've heard persistent rumors that most of them are actually from Venezuela.

I personally would like to thank the miners for supporting the Texas Rangers drive to the ALCS by prominently displaying the Texas State Flag outside the mine. By God, they even waved it vigorously when some of the miners were pulled to the surface. I guess those Miners must have been big Ranger fans and the spectators were just letting them know that the Rangers had made the ALCS:

057188-chile-miners.jpg

Even while stuck in the mine, these guys were great Ranger fans:

vo.chile.miners.2nd.tape.chilegovt.640x480.jpg

Who cares if Chile and President Obama doesn't give us credit, the people of Chile are Texas Ranger fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Yup I guess there isn't a politician or president in this current world or in the whole history of earth that didn't slant one way or another.

Agree...however, one might hope for a President that is proud of the nation he was elected to represent.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Ridiculous

I think not. What's ridiculous is the way Mr. Obama keeps acting as if the nation he represents is some second-class world citizen and should go on a tour apologizing for all the is America,. If that's what you want for your President, fine with me. I just happen to think he is the "ridiculous" one as a leader of this great nation of ours.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

I think not. What's ridiculous is the way Mr. Obama keeps acting as if the nation he represents is some second-class world citizen and should go on a tour apologizing for all the is America,. If that's what you want for your President, fine with me. I just happen to think he is the "ridiculous" one as a leader of this great nation of ours.

Increasingly ridiculous.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Agree...however, one might hope for a President that is proud of the nation he was elected to represent.

What is the man supposed to say....the man is president of this great nation of ours. He doesn't need to sound like an elitist blowhard. If you are not aware but our country's reputation has become very thin to the rest of the world over the last decade or so. Times have changed now and he's being diplomatic in all levels but to question his allegiance and pride to this country is mind blowing. Right now I don't care who is president but nobody no matter what political party they are in would be successful with the current global economic times so give the man a break.

Going overboard is one thing...acting like it didn't happen is another matter. Just another show of the President's slant on the nation he is supposed to represent. Sort of like all that apologizing and bowing. To not even recognize the help that American and American business gave that made this rescue possible in the first place is STUPID. Yes, of course, you give Chile their day in the sun and you certainly do not try to upstage the day...but, acknowledging the partnership and participation of a great number of Americans and American skill does nothing to "brag" or steal the show.

Get over the fact that America is a great nation and one you should be proud of, and stop trying to apologize for everything. Acting as if America is some do-nothing, know-nothing nation is a crock! There is one nation the world always calls when trouble strikes...and that is America. Half the time the generosity of the American people and American businesses is not even acknowledged.

Act like you have been there before...absolutely...sit back and be taken for granted (even by your own President)...NO WAY! Get over it and stop trying to apologize for the greatness that is the United States and its extremely generous people.

I am truly sorry that it has become popular with some to think they need to apologize for this great nation of ours. I wonder how many that think that way have ever worn the uniform of this great nation? Just saying.......

The President has mentioned the American efforts in the Chilean rescue several times. WTH? Is this not being shown on Fox News? I've seen him mention it several times on re-broadcasts of his speech. His weekly radio message mentioned it too. I find it silly that you would be saying this over and over when it is not true. You need news diversity! :)

• Upvote 1

What is the man supposed to say....the man is president of this great nation of ours. He doesn't need to sound like an elitist blowhard. If you are not aware but our country's reputation has become very thin to the rest of the world over the last decade or so. Times have changed now and he's being diplomatic in all levels but to question his allegiance and pride to this country is mind blowing. Right now I don't care who is president but nobody no matter what political party they are in would be successful with the current global economic times so give the man a break.

Maybe something along the lines of 'here is a great thing we have helped with' and 'here is how Americans helped bring the miners up and keep the safer while they were still trapped'?

If you are worried about our country's reputation in the world then why not highlight how we helped save lives? That would seem to be a great way to turn ill will towards good will. :huh:

Do you really believe President Obama is not proud of this country? If so, this is my prescription for you: For 1/2 week, take some time away from the news media, head to the river for fly fishing and soul searching (Broken Bow, Oklahoma will suffice). For the remainder of the week, visit sick kids in the hospital or volunteer at a homeless shelter to re-gain perspective on life. Follow that with a large donation to a charity other than UNT so you feel like you are doing your part to help others in need. Call me in 2 weeks if you dont' feel better about life or don't notice that President Obama cares about the U.S. and is trying to accomplish good for the country. - Dr. EagleGreen

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Maybe something along the lines of 'here is a great thing we have helped with' and 'here is how Americans helped bring the miners up and keep the safer while they were still trapped'?

If you are worried about our country's reputation in the world then why not highlight how we helped save lives? That would seem to be a great way to turn ill will towards good will. :huh:

It's amazing how nobody has heard him say it. I guess I will just have to say maybe change news outlets or something.

I am not worried about the reputation but to a lot of the general public in the rest of the world...our image has gotten tarnished. I am not saying it is warranted and justified but it is what it is. Diplomacy on all levels will help and will go great lengths. I am not saying everybody has a bad image of this country but it is surely a lot higher than what it used to be. This isn't the the olden days anymore where all we can do is flex our muscle and all will be right with the world. And yes I agree that we are the best and will always be the best when it comes to helping the rest of the world and trying to save lives. But you can't argue that our image has taken a bit of a hit the last decade.

This country should worry about doing the right thing for it's interest and the interest of it's citizens. This almost always means helping poorer countries, fighting other countries battles, amd being the diplomatic good guy. On the rare occasions where it doesn't, see below:

Who freaking cares what other countries think about us. Do the right thing. Period. There will always be countries and individuals with self-esteem issues that will ALWAYS hate the USA because of who we are and what we have. Screw them. Do what is right for this country and it's citizens. That is what you were elected to do.

Edited by UNT90

Do you really believe President Obama is not proud of this country? If so, this is my prescription for you: For 1/2 week, take some time away from the news media, head to the river for fly fishing and soul searching (Broken Bow, Oklahoma will suffice). For the remainder of the week, visit sick kids in the hospital or volunteer at a homeless shelter to re-gain perspective on life. Follow that with a large donation to a charity other than UNT so you feel like you are doing your part to help others in need. Call me in 2 weeks if you dont' feel better about life or don't notice that President Obama cares about the U.S. and is trying to accomplish good for the country. - Dr. EagleGreen

I truly believe he is an apologist and wants to be liked by the rest of the world so much that he will "short" his own country to look good in the eyes of the rest of the world. The guy is OUR President, not the President of the world. He has tried that "let's all just sit down and talk thing" and it didn't go too well. I have seen his speech and have watched the talking heads on ABC, NBC and CBS, CNN and MSNBC ignore the American efforts entirely. In fact, truth be known, I have not even watched FOX news for the last week. Hard to believe for me, but true.

On another note...I give to many other charities and organizations as well as UNT...how about you Doc? In fact, my wife and I gave much more than what has been reported that many of our politicians personally gave and we make considerably less than they do...by a long shot.

I spent last weekend at a wedding in Eureka Springs, Ark. That "rural" enough for you? All I could think of half the time was the movie "Deliverance" and the music to "Dueling Banjos" as I witnessed car after car with Obama stickers on them.

Obama cares about Obama and turning this nation left...he is the by far poorest president in my lifetime (and that goes back to Truman)...I hate to say it, but even worse than Jimmy Carter! No amount of fly fishing in Broken Bow, OK will change that...and, yes, I believe President Obama is doing his best to apologize to everyone he can around the world while he does his best to turn this great nation of ours into a second-class "citizen".

Interesting how people say the US is not well liked...may be, but what nation is the first called when tragedy strikes around the world? This nations gives more money, more human volunteer hours and more aid of all types to people around the world than any other nation. Apologize for that if you will.

I am very hopeful that I will feel much better on November 3rd.

Now, Dr. EagleGreen as you were so kind and thoughtful as to tell me what I should do.....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1