T-Shirt Alumni

KRAM1

1. We are all jealous, frankly, of the "T-shirt Alums". Supporters from outside the UNT family would be great!

2. If you actually graduated from UNT, and DO NOT support your school AND wear UT, A&M, TT, etc. apparel then F you. Seriously...F you...

I LOVE NT...LOVE my school.

GO MEAN GREEN!!!

I heard, what I think, is the best ever name for those who like to wear t-shirts and other branded items of colleges and/or universities they have never attended. In listening to Tony Casillas on a show before the recent Texas-OU game he referred to the game as bringing out the most "T-SHIRT ALUMNI" of any game very season. T-Shirt alumni are, according to Mr. Casillas, those who have never attended or graduated from a college or university but wear the teams branded items and act as if they attended/graduated. PRICELESS!

Seems that UNT has a good many of these types all across the campus and within its alumni and former student base. Folks who wear Texas, OU, OSU, Florida, TCU, etc., etc. t-shirts, hats, sweatshirts and on and on while shunning those from their actual university...UNT! We see this in Denton and Dallas all the time.

Now, many of the T-shirt alums from Texas, OU, OSU, etc. give big bucks to the schools, so Tony wasn't necessarily "dissing" t-shirt alums, just mentioning that they turn out in force for the Texas-OU game every year. In the case of UNT, I would think T-shirt alum would take on a bit of a different (and less positive) connotation.

"T-Shirt" alums...gotta love the concept!

So I guess you will complain and be opposed to people that are T-Shirt Alumni and that favors North Texas? I think a lot of t hose people are douchers too especially when they attend say NT but their love is UT but if we could get a ton of T-Shirt Alums then I would be all for that.

• Downvote 1

1. We are all jealous, frankly, of the "T-shirt Alums". Supporters from outside the UNT family would be great!

2. If you actually graduated from UNT, and DO NOT support your school AND wear UT, A&M, TT, etc. apparel then F you. Seriously...F you...

I LOVE NT...LOVE my school.

GO MEAN GREEN!!!

jealous is a bad word to use....I don't give two flips about what schools the kid at the Firestone Station wished he had gone to before succumbing to a blue collar life (college is not for everybody). Moreso...I don't give two flips if he wears a UNT shirt as a bandwagoner of our sports programs. What I would like to see is more of the 100k Alum in North Texas engaged in their school and sports programs. Just think... if DFW has 6 Million people and it were "UNT day" and all 100k in the area wore a shirt. That means per every 100 people you would see 1.6 wearing a shirt...and that's allot of visibility.

Edited by All About UNT
  • Upvote 1

I have always taken the view that T-shirt fans are fine--as long as you don't put another team above your alma mater. I grew up a huge Kansas Jayhawk fan. Obviously, that has worked out great for me in hoops, not so much in footbal over the last 30+ years. I wear KU gear from time to time, but when KU and UNT play each other, there is no pull for me to cheer against my alma mater at all. The problem most of us have with T-shirt alumni isn't supporting another school you like. But, when OU, UT, A&M, or Tech play UNT and the alumni of UNT openly cheer for those other schools because they are cool, they have history, they have a winning team currently, or because Grandma is from there, that is where the line gets crossed.

I think it is fair if you have an AQ-BCS favorite team and a non-AQ favorite, since the playing field is usually so vastly different. Comparing UNT to UT is insane on any athletic level imaginable. I think the same thing about TCU and A&M, even though TCU has been much better recently. Historically speaking, the level of support is not close. Because of that, I can see how you can cheer for both pretty easily. Just my $.02!!

I have always taken the view that T-shirt fans are fine--as long as you don't put another team above your alma mater. I grew up a huge Kansas Jayhawk fan. Obviously, that has worked out great for me in hoops, not so much in footbal over the last 30+ years. I wear KU gear from time to time, but when KU and UNT play each other, there is no pull for me to cheer against my alma mater at all. The problem most of us have with T-shirt alumni isn't supporting another school you like. But, when OU, UT, A&M, or Tech play UNT and the alumni of UNT openly cheer for those other schools because they are cool, they have history, they have a winning team currently, or because Grandma is from there, that is where the line gets crossed.

I think it is fair if you have an AQ-BCS favorite team and a non-AQ favorite, since the playing field is usually so vastly different. Comparing UNT to UT is insane on any athletic level imaginable. I think the same thing about TCU and A&M, even though TCU has been much better recently. Historically speaking, the level of support is not close. Because of that, I can see how you can cheer for both pretty easily. Just my $.02!!

Not in Softball it isn't!!! Go get em girls!

• Upvote 1

Noone disputes this....but when a Tshirt Alumni slams someone wearing a shirt from a non "T-shirt Alumni" type school (that they actually attended) as if to degrade them or be condescending...then it is game on on the taunting of them in return.

I'm guessing this has probably happened to everyone on this board.

jealous is a bad word to use....I don't give two flips about what schools the kid at the Firestone Station wished he had gone to before succumbing to a blue collar life (college is not for everybody). Moreso...I don't give two flips if he wears a UNT shirt as a bandwagoner of our sports programs. What I would like to see is more of the 100k Alum in North Texas engaged in their school and sports programs. Just think... if DFW has 6 Million people and it were "UNT day" and all 100k in the area wore a shirt. That means per every 100 people you would see 1.6 wearing a shirt...and that's allot of visibility.

I would be interested in seeing about 1/2 of the other 98.4 people that weren't wearing a shirt.

MeanGreenTexan Storytime (ignore if you don't like heartwarming stories about the Mean Green):

I grew up a UT fan my whole life. My uncle graduated from there. When I came to UNT, I must admit I fell into that trap and would wear my UT cap all the time(everyone else was doing it!!). I went to a few UNT games and was very excited about our team getting to the NO bowl in 2001 after "The Miracle in the Desert". In 2002, I went down and visited some friends in Austin and went to the UNT game there. I was going to root for UT AND UNT at the same time.

Once there, I couldn't make myself wear burnt orange. I wore red. Neutral. UT was playing well and we couldn't get anything going in the first half. By the 2nd quarter, my heart was tugged and I began pulling for North Texas in my head and under my breath, trying to stay neutral on the outside. By the time we sacked Sims for the 4th or 5th time in the 3rd quarter, I was openly pulling for my alma mater and was rubbing-in the fact that Benson was going nowhere on my defense, and that Booger was going to be in Sims' nightmares that night. I got razzed a little by the longhorn students around, and my friends were shocked that I would root against UT, but mostly there was alot of, "Hey, your defense is really good..." and "Good luck the rest of the year...". Then, after the game I remember Davis saying that the UNT defense didn't deserve any credit and that they beat themselves on offense. That was all I needed to hear. My heart belonged to the Mean Green Eagles from that day forward.

I still pull for the Longhorns as well, though I don't like Davis. I was going crazy when Vince ran in to seal the Rose Bowl game. I think Barnes is a brilliant b-ball coach.

I don't own any Longhorns apparel, so I can't be a T-Shirt alum, but I have somewhat of an allegiance to them. I'm a FAN of Texas.

I own all kinds of UNT gear. I'm an actual alumnus. I have a diploma that I'm incredibly proud of. I AM Mean Green

I wish all of the other UNT alumns had the kind of experience I did. I'm glad I have you guys to share my love with.

Maybe winning a few ballgames will give some students that experience.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

So I guess you will complain and be opposed to people that are T-Shirt Alumni and that favors North Texas? I think a lot of t hose people are douchers too especially when they attend say NT but their love is UT but if we could get a ton of T-Shirt Alums then I would be all for that.

So I guess you are reading impaired? Once more, now children......

I guess reading your posts will do that to people....

From your comprehension abilities I would say you aren't actually reading them anyway...feel free to ignore them and concentarte on "Dick and Jane" books.

This was actually a huge deal when I was in the Green Brigade. If you wore a shirt from another school to rehearsal you were forced to run a lap and then turn it inside out. If you refused to turn it inside out then you were kicked out of the rehearsal and got an absence for that day (meaning you get a letter grade dropped.) Dr. Williams doesn't allow any other school apparel at any of his rehearsals be it marching band or not. And that's how it should be! If you are playing the UNT fight song you shouldn't be wearing a UT hat!