Nm Lobos To Fire Coach & Hire Mike Leach

MeanGreen61

Well, yeah, but Locksley has only won a few games as the head coach and has lost a majority of the games as HC with no indication of getting better. What school in their right mind would keep a coach...wait.....never mind...:unsure:

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

I have always believed that Leach will end up at a school like this. Its in a non-AQ league where football isn't close to being the #1 sport and he won't have to glad-hand a lot of people. UNM would be a great fit for him, not to mention that they are in a league that can support higher-paid coaches and you can actually get a chance at being in a BCS bowl if you win that conference outright. He will get good pay, play Tech still for revenge, deal with little media, and will probably get lots of control. And, don't forget the pull that Steve Alford might have here with the AD at UNM. Bob Knight loved Mike Leach out there at Tech and I think that Alford has probably heard his old coach say that once or twice!!

Money aside, Is New Mexico a better coaching gig than UNT?

If the answer is yes, that's sad.

They are the #1 school in their state, with no pro sports to draw away attention - so from that standpoint I'd say absolutely. Better league to recruit too as well.

On the other hand, I'll always think of UNM as a basketball school. Not that you can't win at one of those, just look at Kansas a few years ago being Orange Bowl Champions.

Tom Dierhart from Rivals says there isn't any truth to this rumor

And I, for one, don't believe it either. More smack board urban tales.

Can't see Leach taking that job or ours for that matter. He seems to be the type to want to take the next step up or a higher profile job from wherever his previous stop would have been--right now that would be the school located in the Llano Estocado, ie, high plains of Texas.

Like Huff posted earlier in another thread (and I liberally paraphrase), would have been interesting if Leach were the UNM coach because they do play TTech often.

Seems to me that they used to recruit pretty heavily against each other, too.

GMG!

And I, for one, don't believe it either. More smack board urban tales.

Can't see Leach taking that job or ours for that matter. He seems to be the type to want to take the next step up or a higher profile job from wherever his previous stop would have been--right now that would be the school located in the Llano Estocado, ie, high plains of Texas.

Like Huff posted earlier in another thread (and I liberally paraphrase), would have been interesting if Leach were the UNM coach because they do play TTech often.

Seems to me that they used to recruit pretty heavily against each other, too.

GMG!

He can wish in one hand and s in the other...

He will not get a football coaching job near the level of TTech for his next gig. I doubt NM is even willing to take the chance with him.

He can wish in one hand and s in the other...

He will not get a football coaching job near the level of TTech for his next gig. I doubt NM is even willing to take the chance with him.

I think he has a shot with the right school. They have to be willing to take a chance and not mind crazy people working for their university.

One possibility is Colorado. I think they will be looking for a new coach before they go into the Pac 10/12 and they are certainly will to accept someone like Leach in Boulder. Plus they know exactly what they are getting.

If Harbaugh is lured away from Stanford, they are also willing to accept the very eccentric person. Passing every down can make you popular in the Pac 10/12.

I think he has a shot with the right school. They have to be willing to take a chance and not mind crazy people working for their university.

One possibility is Colorado. I think they will be looking for a new coach before they go into the Pac 10/12 and they are certainly will to accept someone like Leach in Boulder. Plus they know exactly what they are getting.

If Harbaugh is lured away from Stanford, they are also willing to accept the very eccentric person. Passing every down can make you popular in the Pac 10/12.

That sounds very probable. Colorado is a great place to live as well.

Do you guys think we should at least contact him if Dodge is fired just to see what he says?