Does North Texas Change Its Shade Of Green & Tweak

PlummMeanGreen

I know that the reality is we will never go back to the Eagles...I guess I had always identified with NT as the Eagles when I was growing up but I know we won't go back to Eagles. I think Eagle logo on our helmet is a possibility at some point. I don't know why RV is in love with the North Texas on the helmet...I think the Eagle on the helmet is great for branding and people identifying what the helmet is rather than reading North Texas.

I actually agree with a lot of what you are all presenting but when we spent all the money on branding, we became a slave to that official branding. That means the color and name/font. I think that the SOW looks great on the uniform in the spots that were mentioned, but I don't see it going on the helmet simply because we are trying to be consistent and build up the Mean Green team name. And its not a nickname, its the official team name as of the year 2000. Putting an eagle on the helmet would make it tough to market the team as the Mean Green. People might start to think we had changed back to Eagles. FB explained this to me very clearly, our team name is The Mean Green and Scrappy the Eagle is our mascot. That is what I was told and I am not trying to influence anyone, just explain the rationale behind the Athletic Departmen's decision to focus on the official name. I wish that we had more flexibility as a department but we are held to the branding. We can put any of that branding on the uniform but we cAnnot use anything that is new or thought up. The branding was put in place to have consistency over the next hundred years (so I have had to force myself to get used to the green, lol)

Nothing says Mean Green more than our "Powder Puff" Green colors. /sarc

I prefer a good dark green, but I'm not opposed to a lighter green

as long as it is unique, maybe more neon or something. I'd even like

to see a periodic "throw-back" uni with the Flying Worm. Now that's unique.

Green is literally my favorite color (independent of UNT), but I HATE the SLC shade.

I don't like the color and I don't like the similarity to SLC. Even if we

were 45-5, the only relation I want to SLC is a pipeline of recruits.

I think that "North Texas" or "Mean Green" in any print was too much for a helmet. Go with the SOW or an interlocking "NT" on the hemet.

I like the current shade of green better than the old one. The dark green is too hard to see in the stands, although it does look meaner. How about something similar to North Carolina? An emerald green helmet, with the current green jersey and either emerald green or white pants. On the road, white jersey with light green or black pants. Or stay with the current green only. Green helmet with white logo, green jersey, and black or white pants. On the road, green helmet, white jersey, and the green or black pants. Absolutly NO black jeserys E V E R!! Not only is it overused and cliched in sports, black is an accent color, nothing more. I'm still amazed at the hypocracy of some on this board who crucified anyone who mentioned black jerseys 8 years ago, but now like them.

I actually agree with a lot of what you are all presenting but when we spent all the money on branding, we became a slave to that official branding. That means the color and name/font. I think that the SOW looks great on the uniform in the spots that were mentioned, but I don't see it going on the helmet simply because we are trying to be consistent and build up the Mean Green team name. And its not a nickname, its the official team name as of the year 2000. Putting an eagle on the helmet would make it tough to market the team as the Mean Green. People might start to think we had changed back to Eagles. FB explained this to me very clearly, our team name is The Mean Green and Scrappy the Eagle is our mascot. That is what I was told and I am not trying to influence anyone, just explain the rationale behind the Athletic Departmen's decision to focus on the official name. I wish that we had more flexibility as a department but we are held to the branding. We can put any of that branding on the uniform but we cAnnot use anything that is new or thought up. The branding was put in place to have consistency over the next hundred years (so I have had to force myself to get used to the green, lol)

If that's the case, then it should say MEAN GREEN on the helmets and not North Texas.

Consider someone flipping by the game. They see Mean Green on the helmets and say, "Who

is that playing?" "Oh, yeah, UNT". That gives you some branding/association.

Alternatively, they see North Texas on the helmets and say, "North Texas! Isn't that

the 5-100 team with the HS coach?!?" "What are they called? The Greenies? The Eagles? The Green Monsters?" Not much branding of the Mean Green name there.

If that's the case, then it should say MEAN GREEN on the helmets and not North Texas.

Consider someone flipping by the game. They see Mean Green on the helmets and say, "Who

is that playing?" "Oh, yeah, UNT". That gives you some branding/association.

Alternatively, they see North Texas on the helmets and say, "North Texas! Isn't that

the 5-100 team with the HS coach?!?" "What are they called? The Greenies? The Eagles? The Green Monsters?" Not much branding of the Mean Green name there.

Could not agree more. Mean Green on the helmets would be a nice change.

We need a definitive logo. Maybe a block version of UNT or NT or Mean Green. Heck, it could even be an SLC dragon, but it has to be something.

It needs to be unique and something we stay with. Think about UT, OU,Tamu,

TTech, Neb., Cal, ND, Alabama, Florida, on and on. Every one of you could describe

the iconic logo of each and if you saw it, you'd know the school. We need the same thing.

We need something that can be put on the 50 yard line of our new field. Anybody

notice that we have a huge blank spot out there right now. Talk about (lack of)

branding. How come when the camera shows the middle of the field there isn't

a huge-a$$ logo out there??!?

I do like the lettering in the end zones though.

Now that I think about it, Rice has a similar problem. They're currently using

the script R, but IIRC they used to have a block R and maybe an owl. They certainly

don't have an iconic logo that gives instant recognition.

Edited by meaniegreenie
  • Downvote 1

This thread seems to be a rehash of stuff that I thought was already determined and semi-public knowledge.

1. I thought we already know what the helmet will look like next year. Looks like the last helmet of the DD era but with a white stripe down the middle. It's visible in the latest stadium video with RV. See 1:01 into it:

2. Our mascot is still the eagle. (If not, our fight song is well overdue for a lyrical change...and what is that green bird on the hips of our uniforms?) Our nickname is the mean green.

No matter what, I like this thread better than all the coach firing chatter.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad

Could not agree more. Mean Green on the helmets would be a nice change.

I, too, like Mean Green on the helmets. Don't think it will happen, but I still like that idea.

GMG!

PS: I do know with the new stadium should come some of the nicest, newest looking UNT athletic brandings or gear that dear ol' alma mater can come up with between today and next Fall. It will be a new era in so many ways and UNT needs to capitalize on it while they can because in 2012, that new stadium will then be 2 years old.

GMG!

I liked the darker all green uniforms we had from the start of the decade. That was a great look and it was a "Mean Green" one. I hate that we have white helmets. While I really like incorporating the Eagle on the helmet and having it as our mascot there are just too many other schools (high school included) that use the Eagle as a mascot. It has that element of Cougar High to it that A&M uses when referring to the Univ of Houston. It doesn't help that the Valley View Green Eagles are just 20 miles north of Denton on I-35. Having family at both when I was a kid in Gainesville and learning about the Phil Eagles and them being green gave me major sports confusion as a child. Mean Green is unique to UNT.

It's a little blurry, but look at this student section greatness.

57972_433615904170_506164170_4821554_6626204_n.jpg

Had to post this photo again.

This is just half of the east stadium in this photo, ie, the UNT student section for those who think we have an apathetic fan base and even more amazing--after 5 losing seasons.

For you who didn't make the Rice game, the other half you don't see in this photo is also full of green-clad UNT students. And FWIW.........UNT probably had more on just its student side than SMU's "announced" attendance for their first 2 games.

It would be a no-brainer to assume that UNT has the largest student support of any university in the DFW Metroplex and when this group moves into the new stadium all those who preceeded this group in graduation (UNT alums) will start to grow right along with our expanding support by our fabulous UNT students.

GMG!