Wac Officially Contacts Utsa And Texas St

KoldBeer

The San Antonio paper said UTSA and Texas St have officially met with the WAC. Both will be giving formal presentations to the WAC soon. If the WAC can survive, I'm guessing at least one of those schools gets an invite. The article says the WAC has talked to 6 to 8 schools (with some in the FBS division).

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/utsa_texas_state_officially_on_wac_radar_103016944.html

Parts of story...

Western Athletic Conference commissioner Karl Benson said UTSA athletic officials will likely be asked to reprise an informal presentation they gave Wednesday in Denver for the league's membership committee in the next two weeks, potentially advancing the school's quest to reach the Football Bowl Subdivision.

Benson met with UTSA athletic director Lynn Hickey, head football coach Larry Coker and department deputies Brad Parrott and Jim Sarra for about three hours Wednesday morning to hear the school's case for membership in the WAC.

Benson said Texas State athletic director Larry Teis and school president Denise Trauth made a similar presentation about six weeks ago in Denver and would likely be asked to meet again with WAC members on the same day as UTSA. He said he didn't think the two schools, rival members of the Southland Conference, would either hurt or help the other's cause.

Louisiana Tech athletic director Bruce Van De Velde said the addition of UTSA would “really help” his school.

“We love it because they're in the Central Time Zone, and we recruit to Texas,” he said. “I think it would be a nice fit for them. We'll see what happens.”

But wait I thought somebody here posted that quoted Larry Coker saying he was waiting for an invite from the Big 12. :D :D :D :D

• Downvote 1

I wonder why Wright Waters isn't considering TSU and UTSA as serious options to join the belt. It really won't make the conference worse than it already is and personally I would like to see a good rivalry going with TSU.

I think Waters has publicly stated that the SBC will no longer admit FCS teams unless they are already in the conference (i.e. USA,etc.)

Edited by MCMLXXX

I wonder why Wright Waters isn't considering TSU and UTSA as serious options to join the belt. It really won't make the conference worse than it already is and personally I would like to see a good rivalry going with TSU.

In fact, it would solidify it's position when/if the super-conferences ever form.

I still prefer CUSA and the MWC over remaining in the Belt but, if there's no chance of changing conferences for the better, I'd much prefer a 12-team Sun Belt with Arkansas State, ULM, Louisiana, UTSA, Texas State and North Texas in the West and Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, Troy, South Alabama, FAU and FIU in the East over what we have now.

Even if we're not a part of it, I hate to see the Sun Belt scrambling for enough teams to remain a viable conference.

I still prefer CUSA and the MWC over remaining in the Belt but, if there's no chance of changing conferences for the better, I'd much prefer a 12-team Sun Belt with Arkansas State, ULM, Louisiana, UTSA, Texas State and North Texas in the West and Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, Troy, South Alabama, FAU and FIU in the East over what we have now.

Even if we're not a part of it, I hate to see the Sun Belt scrambling for enough teams to remain a viable conference.

Dontworry, if we can't join the league, lamar, Georgia state, and jax state will be right around the corner. Or app state

• Upvote 1

I actually would enjoy that proposed line up.

Dontworry, if we can't join the league, lamar, Georgia state, and jax state will be right around the corner. Or maybe even app state.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I actually would enjoy that proposed line up.

Dontworry, if we can't join the league, lamar, Georgia state, and jax state will be right around the corner. Or maybe even app state.

Yes, but except for Lamar, Ga State, Jax State, App State and Ga Southern are all way east. It sucks being the westernmost and only team in Texas.

It is illustrative, but it saddens me, that you guys are so beaten down that you are happy to wait around for other schools to grow up. Maybe you would have us go back to SLC so you can play teams in state. Didn't we just play a team in state? (Wow that was a great time.) Get some dignity.

• Upvote 1

The San Antonio paper said UTSA and Texas St have officially met with the WAC. Both will be giving formal presentations to the WAC soon. If the WAC can survive, I'm guessing at least one of those schools gets an invite. The article says the WAC has talked to 6 to 8 schools (with some in the FBS division).

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/utsa_texas_state_officially_on_wac_radar_103016944.html

Parts of story...

Western Athletic Conference commissioner Karl Benson said UTSA athletic officials will likely be asked to reprise an informal presentation they gave Wednesday in Denver for the league's membership committee in the next two weeks, potentially advancing the school's quest to reach the Football Bowl Subdivision.

Benson met with UTSA athletic director Lynn Hickey, head football coach Larry Coker and department deputies Brad Parrott and Jim Sarra for about three hours Wednesday morning to hear the school's case for membership in the WAC.

Benson said Texas State athletic director Larry Teis and school president Denise Trauth made a similar presentation about six weeks ago in Denver and would likely be asked to meet again with WAC members on the same day as UTSA. He said he didn't think the two schools, rival members of the Southland Conference, would either hurt or help the other's cause.

Louisiana Tech athletic director Bruce Van De Velde said the addition of UTSA would “really help” his school.

“We love it because they're in the Central Time Zone, and we recruit to Texas,” he said. “I think it would be a nice fit for them. We'll see what happens.”

Would hate to see Texas teams move to the WAC, we need to add Texas teams to SBC for local interest and recruiting.

Isn't there a hold on any teams moving up to D-1 for a while?

It expires in 2011, saw a blurb the other day that the Big East Conference has ask Villenova to join, this would entail them moving up from the sub-division of DI. Of which , they were national champs last year.

The WAC is beginning to remind me of another throw-together league of the good, the bad and the ugly whose first year of operations was 2001. If and when Hawaii leaves, the WAC will get even uglier.

GMG!

ADDENDUM: La Tech says they'd love to have a WAC Texas school since they recruit Texas.

Wonder if after we move into our football palace which we are recruiting toward now that they'd rather recruit against UNT or.......whichever Texas school the WAC takes?

La Tech Texas Recruiting versus UNT Texas Recruiting..........Advantage: NORTH TEXAS (that advantage is located between 2 major Texas interstates! :D:)B)

GMG!!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

It is illustrative, but it saddens me, that you guys are so beaten down that you are happy to wait around for other schools to grow up. ... Didn't we just play a team in state? (Wow that was a great time.) Get some dignity.

Playing Rice was a bad time? On the radio it sounded like the crowd in Denton was fired up and loving the game against a Texas team.

I don't think we're beaten down to prefer playing more Texas schools soon, even if they're UTSA and Texas State. The Sun Belt is where we are. We might as well enjoy it until/unless a bigger conference comes calling.

Neither Texas State nor UTSA bring more dollars in viewers, bowl interest or visitors to the current school gates to offset the cost of dividing the current SBC revenue plate by two or even one more just yet. Even adding a SBC championship game doesn't generate more money than dividing the pot reduces it for each school right now.

Also the major knock on the Belt was it was a "starter" conference after adding Florida Atlantic straight from the FCS ranks without them being a previous member. We had to add them, plus get FIU who was already a member for other sports to move to FBS ball for us to stay a conference.

It's tough for Texas State and UTSA, but it doesn't make sense for the other SBC schools to hurt themselves for the next three to five years while these programs grow. The WAC needs them just to survive and thus the WAC must take them now. Thus, both make sense to the WAC but not to the SBC.

• Upvote 2

The WAC is beginning to remind me of another throw-together league of the good, the bad and the ugly whose first year of operations was 2001. If and when Hawaii leaves, the WAC will get even uglier.

GMG!

ADDENDUM: La Tech says they'd love to have a WAC Texas school since they recruit Texas.

Wonder if after we move into our football palace which we are recruiting toward now that they'd rather recruit against UNT or.......whichever Texas school the WAC takes?

La Tech Texas Recruiting versus UNT Texas Recruiting..........Advantage: NORTH TEXAS (that advantage is located between 2 major Texas interstates! :D:)B)

GMG!!

Dammit! Us Bobcats only have 1 interstate, UNT will always be twice as good. :angry:

• Upvote 2

Dammit! Us Bobcats only have 1 interstate, UNT will always be twice as good. :angry:

Don't despair, Chrisattsu, yall still have the one interstate, a railroad track that runs thru your student section concessions area and then, of course, Arnold the Flying Pig. UNT cannot compete with the last 2 and it is a matter of intense frustration to many of us on this forum to say the least. ;)

GMG!