Utah State Ad Sept. 1 Letter To Fans

NT80

Interesting post by Dwayne from Minden (Tech board admin guy).

Texas St is "supposedly" saying that they have crunched the numbers and they can't make FBS work in the WAC - only UTSA is interested -

NO SBC school or schools will be jumping - that ship sailed last year...

THREAD -

http://www.latechbbb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80085

Interesting post by Dwayne from Minden (Tech board admin guy).

Texas St is "supposedly" saying that they have crunched the numbers and they can't make FBS work in the WAC - only UTSA is interested -

NO SBC school or schools will be jumping - that ship sailed last year...

THREAD -

http://www.latechbbb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80085

Only one of the minions finally sees the light...

former_d1

Varsity Bulldog

Re: WAC to Begin Looking for New Teams as Membership Committee Established-WACSports.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The WAC is dead. Time to move on. I think we need to talk to anyone willing to take all sports but football and CUSA for everything. I would settle for a SBC invite but I just can't see that happening.

The biggest problem for La. Tech is how are you going to recruit in Texas now? Or even in Louisiana? No Boise, no Fresno no Nevada?? And if Benson adds UTSA or SWT that will hurt La. Tech in Texas as well.

ULM and ULL have a much better recruiting story to sell in the SBC. I think cooler heads will prevail and they will ask to rejoin the SBC.

• Downvote 1

If I'm Wright Waters I say "no way" to taking all of their teams except football. La Tech is in no position to ask for a deal like that. Let them hemorhage money until they ask for FULL membership.

Only one of the minions finally sees the light...

former_d1

Varsity Bulldog

Re: WAC to Begin Looking for New Teams as Membership Committee Established-WACSports.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The WAC is dead. Time to move on. I think we need to talk to anyone willing to take all sports but football and CUSA for everything. I would settle for a SBC invite but I just can't see that happening.

• Upvote 2

Heres a good post. You can't make this stuff up:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by revf

Expect UTSA, Texas State, Montana, UC Davis, Montana State...

A did you know:

Did you know that North Texas (a Sunbelt school whose past 3 years in football have looked UGLY - worse than ULM ugly) have turned down an offer from the WAC THREE times to stay in the Sunbelt?

I've always said that the "teacher's schools" are never very bright.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by TheColonyEagle

Not only would I not invite La Tech to become a member, I wouldn't be surprised to see them have to come beg us for full membership down the road. That stunt they pulled a couple of years ago with the I-Bowl was the last straw. If you will remember, the I-Bowl usually hosts a Big XII and SEC team to play each other, but two years ago, neither conference had enough particpants to fill their obligation. So the I-Bowl invited La tech (makes sense since they are in their backyard) and still had to invite one more team. Now, it was my understanding that the SBC was the backup for the I-Bowl if someone couldn't fulfill their spot, which happened. ULL was available, but La Tech had a fit about having to play a team from the lowly Sun Belt, so they used their pull to get the I-Bowl to invite that huge fanbase of Northern Illinois instead. That alone would make me as a conference leader or as the AD of one of its schools to never schedule La Tech in anything again until they ask for the invite AND pay full membership.

Not only would I not invite La Tech to become a member, I wouldn't be surprised to see them have to come beg us for full membership down the road. That stunt they pulled a couple of years ago with the I-Bowl was the last straw. If you will remember, the I-Bowl usually hosts a Big XII and SEC team to play each other, but two years ago, neither conference had enough particpants to fill their obligation. So the I-Bowl invited La tech (makes sense since they are in their backyard) and still had to invite one more team. Now, it was my understanding that the SBC was the backup for the I-Bowl if someone couldn't fulfill their spot, which happened. ULL was available, but La Tech had a fit about having to play a team from the lowly Sun Belt, so they used their pull to get the I-Bowl to invite that huge fanbase of Northern Illinois instead. That alone would make me as a conference leader or as the AD of one of its schools to never schedule La Tech in anything again until they ask for the invite AND pay full membership.

As I understand it, the year of our first New Orleans bowl, Wright Waters tried to work a deal with the WAC, MWC and CUSA to move things around and get MIddle Tenn into a bowl game as they had 7 wins. The solution would have involved Tech playing us in the New Orleans bow. Everyone agreed except Tech who said they would not play a SBC team in a bowl game. Instead Tech went to Boise and got pounded by Clemson 49-24 in front of very few Tech fans thousands of miles from home.

The Cajuns and Red Wolves were available at 6-6 (same record as Northern Ill.) If I recall, the I-Bowl had a rep that also had ties to No. Ill. That coupled with Tech's desire to NOT play a SunBelt school weighed heavily in the decision. As if there wasn't already enough bad blood!

As for Tech becoming a SunBelt member; that is up to the Presidents. I would think that WW has spoken to all the Presidents at this point to see if expansion is desired, and if so, who they want. No way Tech would ever be invited for football only (as someone earlier in the thread brought up). Conference by-laws state all sports sponsored must be in the conference. Besides, what Tech REALLY needs is for all the other sports to be in a more geographically friendly conference. Especially with the current "policy" by ULM and the Cajuns not playing in other sports until AFTER Tech agrees to play in football. Cajuns have had a contract for football sitting on the Tech AD's desk for MONTHS. We finally got tired of waiting and scheduled another game at LSU for the 2014 season (I believe). Most of our fans at this point are of the opinion they can rot on the vine. Getting enought votes to rejoin the SBC at this point would be close!

From what little I've read here, seems as though Texas State would be "iffy" as well. Some of you would be fine with them, but I get the sense that most would NOT like them as a conference mate. From Tx State's point of view, looks as though they have seen the light WRT the expense of being in the WAC. Something the Mean Green and Cajuns have known for several years!

Good luck against Clemson. Not an easy opener for sure. Ditto for us (Cajuns) as we open at Georgia saturday.

Shof

The Sunbelt currently has 12 teams (but a few don't play football). I don't see them expanding unless Denver leaves (or a really attractive school becomes available). Denver wants to go to the WCC but yesterday the WCC said they were done with expansion.

The WAC may survive as a conference but there is no way it's better for UNT than the Sunbelt. The Sunbelt should be making a move to take away some of the TV time and $$$ that the WAC was getting. It would be a great time for a Sunbelt team or two to pull an upset win this fall.

It's interesting that Texas St says the numbers don't work going to the WAC. I thought they may try that route just to get established as FBS school then always be on lookout for new conference.

Edited by KoldBeer

The LTU arrogance is getting pretty laughable at this point. When they had BSU, Nevada and Fresno State, I would have had the same attitude but without those schools and them still being arrogant and talking crap about the Sunbelt in comparison to the WAC is hilarious. Seriously, this must be one big Bulldog bit right? They REALLY don't feel this way on the inside.

The biggest problem for La. Tech is how are you going to recruit in Texas now? Or even in Louisiana? No Boise, no Fresno no Nevada?? And if Benson adds UTSA or SWT that will hurt La. Tech in Texas as well.

ULM and ULL have a much better recruiting story to sell in the SBC. I think cooler heads will prevail and they will ask to rejoin the SBC.

The La Tech'sters need to develop the mindset of: "Hey, it's either the Sun Belt Conference or the Southland Conference!"

(Wonder if some of their elect would still choose the Southland)?:blink:

The La Tech'sters need to develop the mindset of: "Hey, it's either the Sun Belt Conference or the Southland Conference!"

(Wonder if some of their elect would still choose the Southland)?:blink:

When this was first going down, many on the Tech BBB said they would favor being an Independent, or even dropping football altogher before joing the SBC. I think to some degree cooler heads have prevailed. :rolleyes: