Time Warner Losing Espnu?

Harry

I heard this on the radio as well. The announcement started as....attention mean green fans. It was kind of nice to hear that...finally someone is concerned about our needs. It sounds like Time Warner is going to drop ESPNU. I'm just hoping that we can get out of death valley without any significant injuries.

Time Warner's contract to carry all Walt Disney channels expires at the first of Sept. Walt Disney owns ESPN and several other cable channels. While they own the ABC network, they do not own WFAA the DFW ABC Affiliate. Time Warner and Disney are negotiating over how much to pay per subscriber for all of the Disney channels. ESPN by itself usually gets $4 per subscriber per month. Usually these disputes are settled at the last moment and nobody ever misses a game. However, cable channels and cable systems have been getting more public with their disputes and some have drug on for a longer period (is Versus back on DirectTV yet?). However, I don't think Time Warner will allow ESPN to go off their system.

Conversation between ESPN/ABC and Time Warner:

ESPN/ABC: Looks like our contract is up. Let's talk.

TWC: Oh, this is never good.

ESPN/ABC: It's not you, it's me.

TWC: That's what they always say.

ESPN/ABC: Look, I've outgrown this relationship. I'm big time now. I have almost all the college bowl games this year and the BCS bowls starting in 2011. Not to mention we got the highest rated shows on television on ABC

TWC: *sigh*

ESPN/ABC: Look, I like you kid. And since I know times are tough for you, what with you still paying for that whole AOL fiasco, I'm going to make you a sweet offer.

TWC: Here it comes...

ESPN/ABC: Since we've been such good friends, I am only going to ask for a 25% increase. That's $5 per subscriber.

TWC: What?! That's outrageous!

ESPN/ABC: Hey, DirecTV pays us $6.

TWC: They can afford rockets and shit. We can't.

ESPN/ABC: That's why I'm giving you this sweet deal.

TWC: We won't pay it.

ESPN/ABC: (laughing) Yes you will.

TWC: No and we will rally our customers to hold the line. They won't stand for increased rates during a recession. Oh, you'll rue the day!

**Six days later**

Radio announcer: Time Warner cable is considering dropping ESPN from their lineup, meaning you won't be able to watch all your favorite teams.

Radio listener: Those sons of bitches! I'm going to cancel and switch to DirecTV.