Dmnews Area 100

SUMG

Good to see us in on 4 but man you can't help but think we should be on more if we are winning. Monroe keeps pluggin along in DFW.

I counted 6: a QB; a WR; an OL; a DL; and two LBs.

Edited by SUMG
  • Upvote 1

I counted 6: a QB; a WR; an OL; a DL; and two LBs.

That's what I see as well. Six that are uncommitted and interested in UNT. Each of those are listed within this forum in the position profile threads, as well as the 2011 offers thread. There are also numerous others on that list that have UNT offers but have already given verbal commitments to other schools. Then there's #54, WR Quentin Gardner, from Denton Guyer, who has previously shown interest in UNT but, reportedly never received an offer from UNT and no longer lists UNT as a school he's interested in attending.

With the new stadium opening for the start of the 2011 season, it really is a bit disappointing we're not being considered by more of the area's top 100 prospects. Additionally, it's a bit frustrating that we have six of the Top 100 interested in UNT, while SMU has six that have actually committed to them.

• 1 month later...

i don't see the fascination with top area commits. if i was a top player from this area, i wouldn't want to play here, smu, or tcu. college is about getting away and experiencing life, not about living at home and commuting. life isn't about football. sure, it can get your college payed for, but it doesn't matter where you go for that to be a possibility. i've got three kids, do i want them to go to north texas...sure, but not if they have an opportunity to go to another great university and experience another part of the country, while getting a solid education.

the other area schools have more commits, but that may not tell the whole story.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Tulsa with three WRs already committed. Arizona, 3.

Lots of Kansas State and Arizona. What am I saying; there are tons of teams from around the country in DFW.

Years ago, when Dodge was hired, I said it was foolish to think this thing could be built on DFW talent alone because so many school higher up the food chain were already picking the fruit of the vine.

A school like UNT can't think too locally. We've got to get outside the box and rob guys where other schools are overlooking talent because they are spending so much time recruiting here.

Shelton Gandy has done a great job in that regard. No matter how the Dodge situation turns out after the season, I hope Shelton Gandy is still here in 2011.

There's some Western Kentucky on the lists but no North Texas on some of those kids. Doesn't make any sense.

I do agree with TFLF though, you have to think outside of the box in some regards because of your lack of recent success when everyone else in Texas is experiencing some success. Shelton Gandy has done a great job and hopefully Canales can help in the Southeast as well.