Denton City Council Approves Fry St. Project

This Clifton guy is the living symbol of Denton's collection of residents who repel development, which ultimately hurts intercollegiate athletics.

I always carry around a lucky coin that has protected me for years from bear attacks. With that one coin in my pocket I have, in 27 years, never been attacked by a bear.

• Upvote 1

This will spell the end of fun on Fry St.

Why? Article and plan talk about restaurants, retail, etc. Cool Beans remains. Why is this the end of fun on Fry St..? The Tomato is considering a return as well. What's not fun about the Tomato????

Seems to me retail, residential, office and parking are a good mix for Fry St. Maybe it will even draw some out-of-town folks to that side of the campus on Saturday game days. I really like the fact that some new commercial development is coming to the campus area. Just think...something is being built in Denton that will actually pay property taxes and generate some new sales tax revenue and create some new jobs for the area. Wow, imagine that. Poor Bob Clifton. The guy is a joke and so needful of recognition that he jumps into the middle of just about anything that smacks of commercial development in Denton. The guy is nothing but a pest and is seen as pretty much a joke around town. Too bad. there was a time when Bob Clifton had a decent idea or two and was a viable candidate in local politics, but those days are long over. He probably should move to the Denia neighborhood. He'd fit in pretty well with many who live in that area of town.

Congrats to the city council for approving this plan!

This will spell the end of fun on Fry St.

I'd say just the opposite. You'll have around 700 people, mostly college students or college age people, moving onto the street. With the retail that is already in the area plus the forthcoming retail those 700 people plus their friends will add a significant amount of energy to the area.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm glad they are finally doing something, but this makes perfect sense. Plan one gets voted down because of traffic congestion from a pharmacy drive through, yet plan two gains approval and has high density apartments, a probably bank with a drive through, etc... Yep, same old Denton.

That moron Clifton will probably end up winning and having a park built there leaving tax revenue on the table. By the way, the streets in Denton are falling apart due to budget issues. Which will provide revenue to the city to fix this problem, the development or Clifton Park?

I know everyone loves to bitch and moan about nothing ever getting done, or people holding up progress in Denton, and I'm not one of those guys, but do we really have to kill Denton's only college bar scene? I love the idea of Rayzor Ranch. The 288 development is awesome, I'm sure other things I'm not aware of are great, but do we really have to drop another University Courtyards or Gateway right in the middle of Fry?

You know what residential areas necessitate? Quiet.

You know what a legitimate bar scene creates? Noise, lots of noise.

Great, the half sized Cool Beans gets to remain.... Kiss their live music shows from the roof goodbye.

Know what else residential areas necessitate? Lots of parking. Kiss drive up parking on Fry St goodbye.

It's great that The Tomato is coming back, but anyone thinking it's gonna be the old Tomato they loved (other than the actual Pizza) will be sorely mistaken I assume.

It sounds to me like we're trying to turn Fry into a miniature version of the square. Why do we need two squares?

Lame as balls.

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I know everyone loves to bitch and moan about nothing ever getting done, or people holding up progress in Denton, and I'm not one of those guys, but do we really have to kill Denton's only college bar scene? I love the idea of Rayzor Ranch. The 288 development is awesome, I'm sure other things I'm not aware of are great, but do we really have to drop another University Courtyards or Gateway right in the middle of Fry?

Great, the half sized Cool Beans gets to remain.... Kiss their live music shows from the roof goodbye.

Know what else residential areas necessitate? Lots of parking. Kiss drive up parking on Fry St goodbye.

It's great that The Tomato is coming back, but anyone thinking it's gonna be the old Tomato they loved (other than the actual Pizza) will be sorely mistaken I assume.

It sounds to me like we're trying to turn Fry into a miniature version of the square. Why do we need two squares?

Lame as balls.

I love you. And don't forget the development around Unicorn Lake...I dig that too.

Worse than another version of the square, this sounds a lot more like Uptown...and if thats what was planned for Rayzor Ranch, or they wanted something similar...in Uptown (Denton) I'd be all for that as well. The problem that many of us have is in placing yet another boring, cookie-cutter apartment/retail complex smack dab in the heart of a historical district.

Thanks in large part to places like Hailey's, Rubber Gloves and the growth off Industrial, Denton is becoming more and more recognized for its cultural and music scene. Reviving it's most renowned area in a way more befitting of that area's aesthetic needs to be the priority for a competent city planner. Real cities and towns recognize that there are more important things than maximizing "tax revenue." Some of the best real estate in New York City is Central Park. Think anyone wants to build the next Jefferson Common over-looking Turtle Pond?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Why? Article and plan talk about restaurants, retail, etc. Cool Beans remains. Why is this the end of fun on Fry St..? The Tomato is considering a return as well. What's not fun about the Tomato????

Seems to me retail, residential, office and parking are a good mix for Fry St. Maybe it will even draw some out-of-town folks to that side of the campus on Saturday game days. I really like the fact that some new commercial development is coming to the campus area. Just think...something is being built in Denton that will actually pay property taxes and generate some new sales tax revenue and create some new jobs for the area. Wow, imagine that. Poor Bob Clifton. The guy is a joke and so needful of recognition that he jumps into the middle of just about anything that smacks of commercial development in Denton. The guy is nothing but a pest and is seen as pretty much a joke around town. Too bad. there was a time when Bob Clifton had a decent idea or two and was a viable candidate in local politics, but those days are long over. He probably should move to the Denia neighborhood. He'd fit in pretty well with many who live in that area of town.

Congrats to the city council for approving this plan!

It sounds like boring old person fun. Old person fun is important... but I wanna party. Where am I gonna party?

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Lame as balls.

Go take a look at the development on W. 7th St in Fort Worth. Apartments directly above the Love Shack, which has live music just about every night and way late on the weekends.

Both can be acomplished with the right planning.

You won't always be in your 20s party mode, anyway. Think toward the future.

College kids will always find a place to party, and if our not a college kid, should you really be partying with them?

It won't be the same Tomato? Good. How ever has Fry street survived the last few years without a place for the high school dropouts to hacky sack and sit listlessly?

Residential buildings which are filled almost exclusively with the same kids who will frequent the bars won't be so crotchety and "anti-noise" as you would think.

It won't be the same Tomato? Good. How ever has Fry street survived the last few years without a place for the high school dropouts to hacky sack and sit listlessly?

Residential buildings which are filled almost exclusively with the same kids who will frequent the bars won't be so crotchety and "anti-noise" as you would think.

But the college only apartments are filled with 18 year olds and douchebags.

You might want to give this development a chance before you find so much fault with what you THINK it might or might not become. Personally, I think this development will be good for UNT, UNT students and the citizens of Denton. I am glad the "sandlot" will get a face lift.