Sun Belt Talking "enhancement" As New World Order Takes Shape

MeanGreen61

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/college/fau/blog/2010/06/sun_belt_talking_ehancement_as.html

Waters is playing offense right now, which is pretty interesting, given how the ground is shifting under everyone.

“Today we are very much in enhancement mode in our league,” Waters said. “What can we do to improve the quality of our league?”

Yep, Waters, who said their are two reasons to change conferences -- survival or enhancement -- is talking about adding members, and not just grabbing them because they are available, but picking and choosing ones that will help build the Belt brand.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/college/fau/blog/2010/06/sun_belt_talking_ehancement_as.html

Waters is playing offense right now, which is pretty interesting, given how the ground is shifting under everyone.

“Today we are very much in enhancement mode in our league,” Waters said. “What can we do to improve the quality of our league?”

Yep, Waters, who said their are two reasons to change conferences -- survival or enhancement -- is talking about adding members, and not just grabbing them because they are available, but picking and choosing ones that will help build the Belt brand.

Why not call Ken Starr and say Baylor would be welcome in the Sunbelt? There is no down side to that. Baylor will politely say no, but there are several possible - though highly unlikely - outcomes where they are left with no choice. In any case, the SBC appears to be a good guy. It can't hurt scheduling in the future!

I think most of the staff at La Tech who hated Waters and vice versa are gone. Tech wants in CUSA, but if that doesn't happen staying in a Boise-less WAC is not better than joining the SBC. In fact, on the Belt board Arkstatefan pointed out that if Tech joined the Belt, we actually jump a head of both CUSA and the WAC in BCS money!

Edited by VideoEagle

As much as I dislike La Tech, I think we should invite them back,as well as attempt to bring NMSU back and expand to 12 football teams with USA coming on board.

WEST

NT

NMSU

LT

ULL

ULM

ASU

EAST

FAU

FIU

USA

Troy

MT

WKU

That's even better. In fact it might be enough to pry away the New Mexico Bowl from the WAC and make it a MWC/Sunbelt bowl.

As much as I dislike La Tech, I think we should invite them back,as well as attempt to bring NMSU back and expand to 12 football teams with USA coming on board.

If we can't move up the food chain, I think this would be a great consolation. I don't think WW and the SBC presidents have the cojones to deliver the death blow to the WAC, however.

Wow! This is hilarious does Waters actually think by this shakeup that the Sunbelt is going to be more attractive to other conferences/universities?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can hear his pitch to La Tech "we have been one of bottom conferences for years now and universities have come and gone and...well currently...most our members are looking for a way out. But the horizon is bright for the Sunbelt; sure we average the lowest attendance, have the lowest budgets, and generally speaking no one has ever heard of our members...but I have a hunch that this will all change by adding you to our conference and together we can work to create a powerful conference together with the likes of FIU, FAU, Ulala, and Ulamo. So what do you say?"

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 13

I agree with Video Eagle. Invite Baylor to join the Sun Belt. I would really be surprised if they even gave the offer any thought, but what if they did ? A Baylor Sun Belt all of a sudden becomes a good conference. Just that one addition makes the Sun Belt legit. First thing you know, Houston and Rice want in. And in a plain, brown envelope, SMU petitions for a Sun Belt membership.

• Upvote 1

Wow! This is hilarious does Waters actually think by this shakeup that the Sunbelt is going to be more attractive to other conferences/universities?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can hear his pitch to La Tech "we have been one of bottom conferences for years now and universities have come and gone and...well currently...most our members are looking for a way out. But the horizon is bright for the Sunbelt; sure we average the lowest attendance, have the lowest budgets, and generally speaking no one has ever heard of our members...but I have a hunch that this will all change by adding you to our conference and together we can work to create a powerful conference together with the likes of FIU, FAU, Ulala, and Ulamo. So what do you say?"

Has it ever occurred to you that Waters gets paid to be the commissioner of a conference? That includes trying to make it better, whether fans of a member school (UNT) want to help or not.

What's hilarious it the short sightedness of your posts. Part of the problem is idiots talking crap about the conference we are currently in, when we're still a member and have an opportunity to make it better. I could certainly see an issue if we had won 8 straight conference championships, but it's simply not true. We fans have a responsibility to want our school to get into a better conference. But, we also have a responsibility to make the most out of where we are with what we've got, because we're here.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

How many schools out there would actually benefit a move to the SunBelt ? Isn't it all about improving your current situation.I mean thats all anyone wants to talk about. So please tell me what schools would improve their status by coming to the Belt.

Outside of maybe LaTech coming in from a broken up WAC to cut travel cost (even though they want nothing to do w/ the other LA schools) I can't think of 1

Don't worry , I'll wait

Waters does get paid to be the commish , but he's done less than a stellar job IMO

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 2

You boneheads think too small. Let's just join the NFC East to give the Cowboys a travel partner. I hear they have a bitchin' TV deal.

Or...the AFC West if we want to be competitive.

And there is always the CFL if we can talk Ranger into joining to give us a southern time zone partner.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

With Boise out of the WACky, yes.

"we have been one of bottom conferences for years now and universities have come and gone

Wrong, We've had a pretty steady membership, and our confrence as a whole has been gaining strength.

sure we average the lowest attendance,

This was disputed ealier, please read other threads

have the lowest budgets

I'll be waiting for those figures, until then, I'll call BS

and generally speaking no one has ever heard of our members

And wrong again. I guess you don't have a televison, otherwise you would have noticed the numerous nationally televised games the SBC had this year. Not to mention the games that were on ESPN Gameplan or pay per view.

Benson's wife is getting jealous. She wants you to leave him alone.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

With Boise out of the WACky, yes.

Come on Rudy wake up and smell the coffee. Show me one la tech fan who wants into the Sunbelt.

Wrong, We've had a pretty steady membership, and our confrence as a whole has been gaining strength.

Love it "pretty". The conference had and lost central fl, south fl, old dominion, NMst, ID, UtSt, la tech. Based on those I would venture to say that a few of them are doing better now that they left.

This was disputed ealier, please read other threads

Same to you

I'll be waiting for those figures, until then, I'll call BS

This was pointed out on the same thread as the information above, please read other threads

And wrong again. I guess you don't have a televison, otherwise you would have noticed the numerous nationally televised games the SBC had this year. Not to mention the games that were on ESPN Gameplan or pay per view.

Ha ha ha. Sorry, are you talking about the game against AL? or the two on TXA21...or maybe some reruns on Kunt. Perhaps you should have looked at the games that were televised...since you didn't I will point out here that NONE, I repeat, NONE of them were against conference opponents (Ball St, Ohio, Army, and AL). Take care Rudy and remember "You're 5 foot nothin', 100 and nothin', and you have barely a speck of athletic ability."

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

Take care Rudy and remember "You're 5 foot nothin', 100 and nothin', and you have barely a speck of athletic ability."

But at least I have class and dont have to hide behind a keyboard like a complete douchbag. But, please feel free to talk trash to me next time you see me in person.

Edited by Rudy
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Love it "pretty". The conference had and lost central fl, south fl, old dominion, NMst, ID, UtSt, la tech. Based on those I would venture to say that a few of them are doing better now that they left.

The SBC is looking better than the Big 12 right now. I wonder how many of the employees in the conference office feel very secure in their jobs right now.

I'd agree that UFC and USF are doing better, but Old Dominion? I'm not too certain how much better NMST, Utah St, LaTech, and Idaho are going to do financially in the WAC now that Boise is gone, but recordwise they haven't looked good with them there. Idaho is 16-44 since 2004. Utah State stepped UP last year to 4-8, three of those wins were against Idaho, LaTech and the always powerful Southern Utah. NMST has 14 wins in 5 years and LaTech has is 27-33 over the same period.

Love it "pretty". The conference had and lost central fl, south fl, old dominion, NMst, ID, UtSt, la tech.

The SBC has lost three (3) football members, all who went Wacy. Boise is the sixteenth (16th) football school realize they needed to get out of being Wacy.

Sixteen (16) is over five (5) times as large as three (3). You are grasping the concept here that the SBC has lost fewer members than the Wacy, CUSA and the Big East. If the predictions are correct, we will be more stable than the Big XII as well.

Yes, the SBC is more stable than the Wacy. That really isn't arguable!

Edited by VideoEagle