Unt And Conference Changes

Once again...are we doing anything to direct our future with these changes or are we just waiting to be called for a date?....which is pretty much what I expect we are doing...that is nothing!

Also, if baylor is out, what makes everyone think Baylor (or SMU) is a better conference choice than UNT...they are small private schools with generally poor support, which is not likely to improve (esp for Baylor) and don't have the fan base...diff story for UNT...large school with Medical and soon to be law...investing money in football program with great potential

We need to be proactive. I hope RV and/or others are doing something.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Once again...are we doing anything to direct our future with these changes or are we just waiting to be called for a date?....which is pretty much what I expect we are doing...that is nothing!

Also, if baylor is out, what makes everyone think Baylor (or SMU) is a better conference choice than UNT...they are small private schools with generally poor support, which is not likely to improve (esp for Baylor) and don't have the fan base...diff story for UNT...large school with Medical and soon to be law...investing money in football program with great potential

Means you ain't done it yet.

By the way, Baylor has hospitals and SMU has a law school. I love your passion, but your argument holds no water. We are a huge public school with generally poor support.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 5

Baylor has more than you think. How about this-

- Tradition

- Top ranked Medical School ( of the MD type)

- Top ranked Law School School ( especially trial lawyers <_< )

They have more than you think despite their size.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm sure RV and the President's office are getting very little sleep. We've put ourselves in the best possible position for the realignments, and now it's just a matter of patience.

Yep, everyone wants a football team that has won 10 games in the last 5 years.

EVERYTHING has not been done. Winning would have put us in a much better position. Winning would have increased student and alumni attention and attendance. Winning may have gotten the stadium built just one year quicker. A VERY important one year.

Everything was absolutely not done.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Means you ain't done it yet.

By the way, Baylor has hospitals and SMU has a law school. I love your passion, but your argument holds no water. We are a huge public school with generally poor support.

You are wrong....Baylor has NO hospitals and Baylor Medical School has NO assoc with Baylor U in Waco. Of course I know SMU has a law school, but it is a small private school with little support also...baylors support for a Big 12 school is well....poor also.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Anyone who doesn't think Baylor is in a better position than us is high.

Now, will we change that? Things certainly are getting better around here, but we need to tap the brakes on this thing.

We don't have a law school yet, and Baylor has some friends in very high places in this state.

• Upvote 3

Baylor has more than you think. How about this-

- Tradition

- Top ranked Medical School ( of the MD type)

- Top ranked Law School School ( especially trial lawyers <_< )

They have more than you think despite their size.

Baylor Medical School is NOT assoc with Baylor U in Waco. I know they have a quality Law school, but they are still a small private school...one of the reasons UT didn't want to be assoc with them and SMU and TCU.

Yep, everyone wants a football team that has won 10 games in the last 5 years.

EVERYTHING has not been done. Winning would have put us in a much better position. Winning would have increased student and alumni attention and attendance. Winning may have gotten the stadium built just one year quicker. A VERY important one year.

Everything was absolutely not done.

Give me a break. You act like winning is a switch that you flip, and someone consciously decided against pursuing winning. We made a bad hire and have some other things working against us in that department.

We've put millions upon millions of dollars into both athletic and academic facilities in the past few years. Everything within our power since the last time we were in this position has been done.

• Upvote 1

Baylor Medical School is NOT assoc with Baylor U in Waco. I know they have a quality Law school, but they are still a small private school...one of the reasons UT didn't want to be assoc with them and SMU and TCU.

In 1969, the College separated from Baylor University and became an independent institution, which allowed it access to federal research funding. The institution's name changed to Baylor College of Medicine. That same year, the College entered into an agreement with the state legislature to double its class size in order to increase the number of physicians in Texas.

• Downvote 1

Give me a break. You act like winning is a switch that you flip, and someone consciously decided against pursuing winning. We made a bad hire and have some other things working against us in that department.

We've put millions upon millions of dollars into both athletic and academic facilities in the past few years. Everything within our power since the last time we were in this position has been done.

My point is that by making a bad hire, we may have cost ourselves the chance to ever be anything close to a major college football program. Hopefully, other conferences will look past our record, but I damn sure would not assume that this automatically happens.

This may end up being the worst hire in school history, no matter what happens from this point forward. This hire may have cost us dearly in the coming conference re-allignment.

Or not. The next month may tell.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 9

UNT had little chance of fast movement into CUSA, MWC, or WAC without something happening; now it will. Our new stadium is a good perk at the right time. Opportunity to get our name out there still exists and I hope every fact is being sent up to the right people. If we don't promote ourselves nobody else will.

Seriously what can NT really do at this point? The absolute best case scenario in my opinion for for NT athletics is to somehow, someway is to get into the MWC which is overall the best conference outside of the big ones. Even then getting invited to the MWC is almost a pipe dream. Other than that NT are the beggars and unfortunately they can't be choosers. While lots of upgrades have been done and are continuing to be done...it may just be too little too late to really have a positive effect on us during this phase of total realignment.

In 1969, the College separated from Baylor University and became an independent institution, which allowed it access to federal research funding. The institution's name changed to Baylor College of Medicine. That same year, the College entered into an agreement with the state legislature to double its class size in order to increase the number of physicians in Texas.

My point exactly, NOT assoc with Baylor U in Waco.

Whatever happens, the mid-level conferences probably won't move this summer. The Big XII and Big 10/11 and Pac 16 are making their moves only because the Longhorns are forcing the issue.

The SEC, ACC, MWC, and Big East will probably take longer to make their decision either late this year or early next year. After all the former AQ-BCS schools are taken, then C-USA will decide who to invite, the WAC and SBC will pick over the leftovers, and the MAC will remain the same.

Basically, I think we still have time to make an impression on C-USA.

Edited by UNTflyer

Whatever happens, the mid-level conferences probably won't move this summer. The Big XII and Big 10/11 and Pac 16 are making their moves only because the Longhorns are forcing the issue.

The SEC, ACC, MWC, and Big East will probably take longer to make their decision either late this year or early next year. After all the former AQ-BCS schools are taken, then C-USA will decide who to invite, the WAC and SBC will pick over the leftovers, and the MAC will remain the same.

Why would the SEC wait? They could try to make a play for TU and A&M, and even OU and UNC.

Agree with everything you said, except replace Longhorns with Cornhuskers.

Edit: or you can blame Notre Dame

Edited by MeanMag

It will be really interesting to see what Baylor can do without being in a major conference. Without that funding, they are basically an SMU. No UT at home, no Tech at home, no OU at home... while we might not move too much during this cycle or reallignment - Baylor fans have complete disaster waiting them. What will they do without those marquee games and the big checks each year?

• Upvote 2

I believe the feeding-frenzy will begin sooner rather than later. Blood in the water will attract the sharks! The music has begun playing and there will be panic in the air for leftouts.

Good value opportunity exists for the MWC, ACC, and Big East to pick up some quality programs on the cheap: KU, KSU, Iowa St., and to a lessor extent Baylor (no love for the political leeches!).

The SEC has also previously made the statement that they will not be outdone by the Big10 in expansion; expect them to go to 16 and raid the Eastern leagues of prime meat.

For North Texas, our best opportunity may be soon after the season begins...a good time to score some early wins that would appeal to a selection/expansion committee. hint, hint. B)

You know what...

After seeing all that is going down now, I'm convinced that it doesn't matter what we do. Oklahoma shedding conference partners it has had for over 100 years to hook up with Arizona and Arizona State says it all. And, teaming up with Texas to pressure Nebraska out first so they don't look culpable. I'd have never believed it until I saw it today.

I take back every bad thing I've ever said about Rick Villareal. Building a winning program doesn't matter (just ask Missouri and Kansas State...heck, ask Boise State at this point). Loyalty doesn't matter. Geography doesn't matter. Traditional rivals don't matter.

Nothing matters but TV money. And, remember, though...it's amateur, right? All for the kids' sake.

I say, from here on out, screw the whole lot of the money-grubbing whores. Quit scheduling them. Let them go play with themselves.

They've been trying for the better part of two decades to shed schools like us. They don't even have loyalty or concern for longtime conference mates, so they sure as hell aren't going to hold the door open for us?

If we started winning, we'd just be another pain in the rear for them to deal with - like Fresno State, Boise State, and Utah before us. Few money whore schools will schedule them; they just want them to go away.

Let's just win the Sun Belt this year and begin enjoying our new stadium next year. Tailgate, be happy, and forget about it. Let's just be happy with what we have.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

You are wrong....Baylor has NO hospitals and Baylor Medical School has NO assoc with Baylor U in Waco. Of course I know SMU has a law school, but it is a small private school with little support also...baylors support for a Big 12 school is well....poor also.

Baylor is certainly not a particularly large school, but with around 14k I really wouldn't consider them a small school anymore. Both my parents are Baylor grads, and 20+ years ago it certainly did have that small private school environment, but not so much anymore. The Big 12 has been good to them, and their facilities and growth over the last 15 years or so attests to that. They would get slaughtered for the foreseeable future, but it wouldn't surprise me if they found a way to slip into the SEC just like they slipped into the Big 12. It's going to be interesting to see how things shake out.

I liked Colorado Eagle's response about winning being a switch that you flip for or against. We all wanted to win and we didn't and nothing will change that. We just have to hope that this is the beginning of a new era.

We have all been disappointed with Todd Dodge but to say that he's been the worst hire is foolish. At the time of his hire there was little opposition, even among those who preferred another candidate. Todd had an excellent reputation and that reputation has had a major part in the new stadium, the improvement in the talent pool and cleaning up the mess that was our football program. Those things are forgotten because he didn't win. He underestimated the depth of the problem and overestimated his ability to solve it without the right help. Let us hope that he has finally hit upon the right combination and that there's a dramatic turnaround this year.

How did this get to be a rant against Baylor? I can only assume that it's because of the actions of their lobbyist trying to influence the legislature. I condemn his actions but I certainly don't degrade Baylor. That university certainly can't be responsible for every act of every alumnus. Baylor is the oldest (continual) university in the state and has a rich tradition. Trying to bring them down certainly doesn't build us up. Let us be the very best that we can be, do what we can to favorably influence the selectors and let the chips fall where they may. I deplore the politics associated with this selection process but, like most of us, are helpless to do anything about it.

We can't match the history of some of our competitors but we have perhaps a brighter future than any, save the Big Three of Texas. We don't have their political clout but we could eventually join them if we all pull together and quit the petty bickering.

Call me a cockeyed optimist but I believe that we end up in CUSA when all is said and done. Britton Banowsky certainly knows who we are and I live in hope that we will be treated fairly by all concerned. Other than our recent football record, and women's basketball record everything else is moving in the right direction for North Texas. I hope that other university presidents see that.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 3

I say, from here on out, screw the whole lot of the money-grubbing whores. Quit scheduling them. Let them go play with themselves.

the door open for us?

Im still for scheduling those SOB's, just charge them an arm and a leg if they want to back out of the deal.

• Upvote 1