Nebraska To Big 10

MCMLXXX

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100608/BIGRED/306089786#nu-to-big-10-as-early-as-friday

All it takes is an official invite from the Big10 and I believe Nebraska will be gone. In that case, the Big12 and probably the Big East will die off.

My expansion guesses to:

Big 10: Nebraska, Missouri, Notre Dame, Rutgers, Maryland, Pitt

PAC 10: Texas, Tx A$M, Tx Tech, OU, Ok.St., Colorado

MWC: Baylor, KU, KSU, Iowa St., Boise, Houston, UTEP

SEC: Miami, Fla. St., Ga.Tech, N.Caro.

ACC: Louisville, Syracuse, UConn, WVU, USF, Cincy, East Caro, UCF, Memphis

CUSA: MTSU, La Tech, Troy, UNT, ULL

WAC: Montana

SBC: UTSA, Tx St., Ga. St.

Edited by NT80

I keep seeing all this speculation about UTSA and Texas State being thrown around. Don't they have to wait several years before they can even consider moving up to D-1? Pretty sure the NCAA placed a moritorium on schools jumping up until 2014 or something. Maybe...I think..anyone?

I keep seeing all this speculation about UTSA and Texas State being thrown around. Don't they have to wait several years before they can even consider moving up to D-1? Pretty sure the NCAA placed a moritorium on schools jumping up until 2014 or something. Maybe...I think..anyone?

I believe it ends in 2011 with 2013 the earliest they could join FBS. Any change now with an invite would take a couple years to move anyway. There may be additional restrictions as Flyer mentioned that may preclude any moveups until they show financial ability or have invite in hand, etc.

UT is the key in this, A&M and Tech are just the tag-alongs. UT prefers the Pac-10 for its "academics". It's going to be interesting to see what happens to alot of these schools that get left in the cold. Baylor to MWC? C-USA? How about basketball superpower Kansas? The trickle down will be incredible to watch.

What ever happened to the talk of Texas and A&M going to the SEC? That makes more sense to me from a marketing and travel perspective. Also that would allow Florida to block Miami and FSU out and the Gators would love to freeze them out.

Could you imagine adding Texas and/or Oklahoma to that conference? What a beat down. They would just have to crown the SEC conference champion the national champion if that were to happen.

If I were Texas, I really wouldn't mind staying right where I'm at. I'm in the hunt for a national championship every single year because my conference is respectable enough, but there are only 2-3 major hurdles to get over before running the table.

In the SEC, every week presents a team that can beat the Longhorns (other than Miss St). The Pac 10 gets them exposure out West, but they already have that thanks to ESPN et al. If they play a game at Washington State, the only people watching will be hardcore Texas fans. The periphery that would normally watch them in CST will skip those PST games. You win some, you lose some...

Arizona and Arizona St would be the only 2 west coast teams they would play regularly. And you would imagine that of both those teams UT would travel for one and be at home for the other. And then with the other division they would play 2 of those teams a year with one at home and one on the road to keep travel down. So 2 games a year on the left coast.

If the Sun Belt seriously decides to scoop up UTSA (another spread out commuter school who has yet to play a down of football), another generic, no-name southern school a thousand miles away, and Texas State, I hope our administrators will seriously reconsider that WAC invite.

If the MWC expands to 16 and needs another TV market Houston is the logical choice over Smut or Tulsa. If they stay at 14 I agree no UH.

Where have you seen the MWC wanting to go to 14? I haven't read anything reliable about them going to more than 12. Don't forget the MWC is unique in that they formed NOT to make more money but to play together. At 12, they could keep their traditional rivalries while still having a championship game and with the right teams being a BCS auto qualifier. Don't forget they were reluctant about adding TCU. How long did it take them to finally invite Boise? OK, they haven't yet but that is just a matter of time. If the MWC was completely motivated by the dollars, they would have invited Boise two or more years ago.

Where have you seen the MWC wanting to go to 14? I haven't read anything reliable about them going to more than 12. Don't forget the MWC is unique in that they formed NOT to make more money but to play together. At 12, they could keep their traditional rivalries while still having a championship game and with the right teams being a BCS auto qualifier. Don't forget they were reluctant about adding TCU. How long did it take them to finally invite Boise? OK, they haven't yet but that is just a matter of time. If the MWC was completely motivated by the dollars, they would have invited Boise two or more years ago.

So they created their own TV network just so friends and family could watch them play? ;)

What ever happened to the talk of Texas and A&M going to the SEC? That makes more sense to me from a marketing and travel perspective. Also that would allow Florida to block Miami and FSU out and the Gators would love to freeze them out.

While dollars are a big driver in this, the Presidents all still know they are University Presidents, not NFL farm team leaders. The absolute gold standard in academics is membership in the Association of American Universities. All the members of the Big 10 are in the AAU.

The Pac 10 and BIg 12 both have 7 AAU members, while the SEC only has 2 - Florida and Vanderbilt. Texas wants to be associated with universities that are both excellent in both athletics and academics.

Of the Big 12 schools talking about jumping ship, Texas, TAMU, OC, CU, Missouri and Nebraska are all AAU members.

Could you imagine adding Texas and/or Oklahoma to that conference? What a beat down. They would just have to crown the SEC conference champion the national champion if that were to happen.

If I were Texas, I really wouldn't mind staying right where I'm at. I'm in the hunt for a national championship every single year because my conference is respectable enough, but there are only 2-3 major hurdles to get over before running the table.

In the SEC, every week presents a team that can beat the Longhorns (other than Miss St). The Pac 10 gets them exposure out West, but they already have that thanks to ESPN et al. If they play a game at Washington State, the only people watching will be hardcore Texas fans. The periphery that would normally watch them in CST will skip those PST games. You win some, you lose some...

That pretty much happens already!

The only thing that Texas stands to gain is more money. You are right, if they move they won't want to play in a real conference. They have a moderately strong conference now and any Pac-10 is not going to be any stronger. Games in the SEC will be better for TV ratings and I would think the SEC would want in on the Texas market.

The latest from orangebloods.com

A source close to the Nebraska Board of Regents told Orangebloods.com the regents met informally Wednesday and have agreed to move to the Big Ten and that a formal announcement Nebraska is leaving will come Friday.

Sources close to Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech have suggested to Orangebloods.com over the last week that if Nebraska leaves, the Big 12 can't be saved.

A Fox television report out of Ohio said Nebraska now has an invitation from the Big Ten.

One of the reasons given for Nebraska's importance to the league is because the relationship between Missouri and the rest of the Big 12 has soured beyond repair.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1