Where There's Smoke - Mwc Attentive To Boise Fans

I'm glad we're not playing by 'Survivor' rules. Our selfish assses would be voted off on the first ballot.

Or worse. Given that we once had a somewhat illustrious football past but have now fallen on hard times, and are attempting a comeback, this could end up like The Surreal Life. I'm praying for a season one quality season myself.

UNT does have a geographic positive. We are able to go southeast, southcentral, midwest, or southwest as far as conference membership is concerned. Conference upgrade possibilities include the WAC, CUSA, MWC, or Big12. All except the WAC are covered in the DFW area. The new stadium will happen at a very good time; winning would be timely now too.

I have no interest in watching our program grow with Texas State or UTSA. To do that would mean North Texas would be doing nothing to better its current situation. We are ahead of those two programs. We need to stay ahead, not sit around until someone else can help us advance.

I believe to a large extent, people make their luck. When the realignment happens, we need to think long term. Right now I don't what that is, but I'm confident the right choice will be to land in a conference where schools have committed real money to athletics, not loose change, like half of the Belt.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news to you, but this attitude of being better than those other two schools is EXACTLY how the other Texas schools look at us.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news to you, but this attitude of being better than those other two schools is EXACTLY how the other Texas schools look at us.

This isn't first grade soccer; there's no trophy for participation. The reality is that we are behind UT-Austin, A&M, Tech, Houston, Baylor, UTEP, and TCU. We're about even or better than SMU in athletics, no matter how much they've deluded themselves.

Our immediate goal should be catching up with Houston, and more long-term catching up with Tech. These past few years of being one of the worst teams in FBS football, and being in the spare parts conference we're in don't help our case for advancement. Going to the NCAA tournament twice and having a brand new, impressive stadium do. We have a long way to go in research, academics, and endowment, unfortunately.

• Upvote 2

This isn't first grade soccer; there's no trophy for participation. The reality is that we are behind UT-Austin, A&M, Tech, Houston, Baylor, UTEP, and TCU. We're about even or better than SMU in athletics, no matter how much they've deluded themselves.

Our immediate goal should be catching up with Houston, and more long-term catching up with Tech. These past few years of being one of the worst teams in FBS football, and being in the spare parts conference we're in don't help our case for advancement. Going to the NCAA tournament twice and having a brand new, impressive stadium do. We have a long way to go in research, academics, and endowment, unfortunately.

I think that Houston deserves to be included if the MWC loses two and TCU stays. I believe that they are ahead of San Diego State, Wyoming, Colorado State, UNLV and New Mexico without even taking into account their size/alumni and the Houston market. That would likely put them ahead of Air Force and behind only the Big 3 and Boise should they join.

However, if the Mountain West lose any two of Utah, BYU or TCU I'm afraid their dreams of an AQ bid fall by the wayside.

We could also get left out in the cold. The WAC may consider adding Montana and some moveups from west coast 1-AAs. CUSA would probably get raided on the eastern side thus needing eastern teams as replacements..ie Troy, FAU, WKU, and Muts have been mentioned...plus it was said DFW was already covered by Smut.

I can see a situation where we might have to add a UTSA and Texas State just to keep a viable SunBelt from failing to meet the minimum number of teams to qualify as a conference. I think we need to be proactive promoting ourselves to get an offer, otherwise... ohmy.gif

Let's review... there is STILL a moratorium on programs moving up. If they lifted the moratorium today, it would still take a minimum of 3 years for these programs to move up.

No conference is going to look at picking up I-AA teams for this round of expansion and realignment.

I did not say we were better then those schools. I said we were ahead of them. I would think everyone on this board would want to stay ahead of them. Not to would be like taking a 45 to nothing lead into the 4th quarter against WKU, and then forfeiting the game.

No conference is going to look at picking up I-AA teams for this round of expansion and realignment.

So why would the WAC commish be out and about in radio interviews throwing out SWT as a potential candidate?

I did not say we were better then those schools. I said we were ahead of them. I would think everyone on this board would want to stay ahead of them. Not to would be like taking a 45 to nothing lead into the 4th quarter against WKU, and then forfeiting the game.

Uhhh, if/when SWT joins the WAC, we better be out of the Belt.. If we aren't, there is no doubt they will pass us up. Same goes for UTSA. We should either embrace either of these schools for an in-state rival or make sure we stay ahead. A new stadium can only take us so far..

He can throw around names all he wants... it's the NCAA that has the final say on the moratorium.

An FCS team can seek conference membership now but cannot begin to fulfill the requirements until after August 9, 2011. That would include increasing the number of sports, fulfilling the attendance requirement, a minimum of 200 athletes or $4 million in scholarships, and 60% of games against FBS opponents including 5 home games.

I don't know if that means that they could join for other sports and be included in the total number pending fulfillment of the requirements or not.

An FCS team can seek conference membership now but cannot begin to fulfill the requirements until after August 9, 2011. That would include increasing the number of sports, fulfilling the attendance requirement, a minimum of 200 athletes or $4 million in scholarships, and 60% of games against FBS opponents including 5 home games.

I don't know if that means that they could join for other sports and be included in the total number pending fulfillment of the requirements or not.

most realignement will not take effect untill 2012 or 2013 anyway.

Anything is better than this dying sun suck conference. For the life of me I can't understand why ANYONE would be against a conference jump. Budget...that's going to be changing soon. Travel...we don't travel well as it is because no one wants to see us play these sucky schools that no one cares about. So what if BSU leaves the WAC...it's still light years ahead of what we are currently in. Their members are better recognized schools, they play better against named opponents, and they have a better opportunity to jump into a better conference in time. Lets face it...if getting into a better conference is a stepping stone then moving into the WAC is our first step. No other conference is going to be looking to raid the SunBelt, even the CUSA is looking at the Mtn West instead of the Sunbelt. If we pass on another opportunity our football program is doomed. I for one would rather attend a game in our new stadium against Fresno St, Hawaii, or Nevada than ULaLa, or FIU. It's a no brainer.

Financially it would be an outstanding move for the Sun Belt. Based on current numbers the Sun Belt moves out of the 4/5 slot in BCS non-AQ revenue to #3 and the WAC falls from #2 to #4.

I've spent my whole life wishing we could conference with Utah State, Idaho, Nevada, and some of the other Big teams out West.

Once we align with them, we're sure to rocket up in prestige and on-field success.

I only wish we'd done it earlier.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I've spent my whole life wishing we could conference with Utah State, Idaho, Nevada, and some of the other Big teams out West.

Once we align with them, we're sure to rocket up in prestige and on-field success.

I only wish we'd done it earlier.

Adding San Jose State makes all the difference. That's why the old Big West didn't work.

• Upvote 1

Adding San Jose State makes all the difference. That's why the old Big West didn't work.

Why stop there? Maybe if we throw in some D-1AAs and a startup or two, we can start tapping some sweet BCS money. Especially with Boise State out of the equation.

They were in during our first go-round with the Big West.

SJSU is also the answer to this trivia question.

Name the only FBS team Arkansas State has hosted as a money game.

They came to Little Rock in 2002 for a guarantee and no return game.

They were in during our first go-round with the Big West.

SJSU is also the answer to this trivia question.

Name the only FBS team Arkansas State has hosted as a money game.

They came to Little Rock in 2002 for a guarantee and no return game.

Wow. I have to ask, what was the guarantee? Was it over $20k?