Team Speed

KRAM1

OK, here's a question for the GMG.Com "family". Who do you think are the top 10 fastest guys on the team? Let's start a poll...give me their name and your estimated time in the 40....

Any takers????

OK, I can't name 10 with expected speed...but, how about I start with two...

Micah Mosley - I think he is the fastest back we have on the roster. Have you ever noticed how this kid can motor? In fact, I not sure UNT couldn't use him on some down field pass plays.

Jaamal Jackson - my $$$ might just be on him to be the overall fastest UNT has in the 40.

Come on...someone else surely has an opinion. I know this isn't conference realignment stuff, but hey, it's the off season with 100 days to go! Let's talk some UNT football!

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

OK, I can't name 10 with expected speed...but, how about I start with two...

Micah Mosley - I think he is the fastest back we have on the roster. Have you ever noticed how this kid can motor? In fact, I not sure UNT couldn't use him on some down field pass plays.

Jaamal Jackson - my $$$ might just be on him to be the overall fastest UNT has in the 40.

Come on...someone else surely has an opinion. I know this isn't conference realignment stuff, but hey, it's the off season with 100 days to go! Let's talk some UNT football!

GO MEAN GREEN!

You really think Micah is the fastest back on the roster? Have you ever seen Lance Dunbar?

Seems a kid by the name of Riley Dodge is pretty fast too.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Micah Mosley?!?! Don't talk about... Micah Mosley?!?! Are you kiddn me?!?!

jim_mora_playoffs.jpg

Jamaal is probably the fastest guy, but I think D'Andre Wood might unseat him if he gets here.

You really think Micah is the fastest back on the roster? Have you ever seen Lance Dunbar?

Seems a kid by the name of Riley Dodge is pretty fast too.

Yep, I really do. I think Micah's 40 would be faster than Lance's 40. Have you actually ever seen Micah run?

Yep, I really do. I think Micah's 40 would be faster than Lance's 40. Have you actually ever seen Micah run?

I've only ever seen him play live once. Even if he is faster than Dunbar, I get the feeling he would intentionally run slower because he really seemed to like dragging 3 or 4 defenders to the first down marker.

As much as I can glean from various reports, there are/will be six athletes that run less than a 4.45 forty: Dunbar, Jamaal Jackson, Stradford, and the incoming Chancellor, Ford, and Wood.

We have several in the 4.5 range. Some of those include Mosley, Hamilton, Carey, Byrd, Taylor, Cook, Herron, and Graham.

You could probably add others like Hill and Dodge to that list as well.

I doubt that any back, offensive or defensive, (other than quarterbacks) have a forty time of more than 4.69.

I think hat you can say without question that this is the fastest team in many years that we will have put on the field; maybe ever.

Micah is fast. No doubt there... but 4.53 is not the fastest 40 on the team.

I did say fastest back on the team. Not fastest player on the team. I think I noted my guess as Jaamal as being the fastest 40 on the team overall.

Like anyone could even know that

Why not? Every player gets timed. Some folks on here have an inside track to dept. and player info, so you never know. And, I am sure Coach Chico and Coach Todd know. They are "anyone". And, I'll bet the players know. That's a few more "anyone's". laugh.gif

Like anyone could even know that

Glad to see you rolled out of bed on your normal side this morning.

I would be curious as to know the 40 times of Royce Hill and Dwaylon Cook.

Byrd

In no particular order, I would guess the following:

Dunbar, Jackson, Stradford, Dodge, Carey, Hill, Cook, Taylor, Byrd and Chancellor

40 times are part fiction, hyperbole, and otherwise unreliable. Almost every quoted 40 time is either a hoax or a least subject to questioning. I hate to break it to you unlike what you read in Texas Football, every high school football team is not full of players with 4.4 or 4.5 speed.

There is for example an estimated 2.4 second difference in an automated and a manual time. So those timed manually pending other factors at 4.5 are roughtly equivalent to a 4.74 auto time. There is also a hugh difference in if it is timed based on a starting gun or signal or started on runner's movement. Throw in other factors such as running surface, weather conditions and runners' attire and it really gets complicated. There is also a difference in the accuracy of auto timing devices.

Some would cite the pro camps as being the most accurate. I believe they run on grass in workout gear and are automatically timed started on runner movement.

The only realistic way to judge speed is to have the team acually run races against one another. You may notice that a lot of coaches shy away from 40 speed times questions because they know that most times quoted are baloney.

Back to the original question based on visual only, I think the fastest are Jackson, Stradford, Dodge, Dunbar and Outlaw. I am also sure that some of the defensive backs are comparable in speed.

40 times are part fiction, hyperbole, and otherwise unreliable. Almost every quoted 40 time is either a hoax or a least subject to questioning. I hate to break it to you unlike what you read in Texas Football, every high school football team is not full of players with 4.4 or 4.5 speed.

There is for example an estimated 2.4 second difference in an automated and a manual time. So those timed manually pending other factors at 4.5 are roughtly equivalent to a 4.74 auto time. There is also a hugh difference in if it is timed based on a starting gun or signal or started on runner's movement. Throw in other factors such as running surface, weather conditions and runners' attire and it really gets complicated. There is also a difference in the accuracy of auto timing devices.

Some would cite the pro camps as being the most accurate. I believe they run on grass in workout gear and are automatically timed started on runner movement.

The only realistic way to judge speed is to have the team acually run races against one another. You may notice that a lot of coaches shy away from 40 speed times questions because they know that most times quoted are baloney.

Back to the original question based on visual only, I think the fastest are Jackson, Stradford, Dodge, Dunbar and Outlaw. I am also sure that some of the defensive backs are comparable in speed.

I believe that a lot of 40 times are baloney. I also believe that a lot of heights and weights are baloney. I also believe that a lot of evaluations are baloney. Having said all that, it's what we have.

Recruiters want to know those figures to evaluate players. If it were not for them we wouldn't know anyway. In my day there were only 100 times if the player also ran track. But we did have fictitious heights and weights. It was what the coach or player wanted in the program. Sometimes it was honest, often not.

Even electronic times can be fictitious if not properly calibrated. You'd think that electronic times would be faster than hand-held times because the reaction time in hearing the gun. Wind is not taken into account when measuring times as they are in track. No standard for shoes or running surface. So yes, there is a lot of room for error. But again, it's what we have. Either use it or do away with it.

I believe that a lot of 40 times are baloney. I also believe that a lot of heights and weights are baloney. I also believe that a lot of evaluations are baloney. Having said all that, it's what we have.

Recruiters want to know those figures to evaluate players. If it were not for them we wouldn't know anyway. In my day there were only 100 times if the player also ran track. But we did have fictitious heights and weights. It was what the coach or player wanted in the program. Sometimes it was honest, often not.

Even electronic times can be fictitious if not properly calibrated. You'd think that electronic times would be faster than hand-held times because the reaction time in hearing the gun. Wind is not taken into account when measuring times as they are in track. No standard for shoes or running surface. So yes, there is a lot of room for error. But again, it's what we have. Either use it or do away with it.

Hand held times are faster because the timer's reaction time in starting the stopwatch is always slow and most often the timer stops the watch early because they must anticipate the finish. I doubt very seriously that any coaches take quoted 40 times very seriously. The problem is that coaches know that a fat (fully automated time) time of 4.7 is ultra fast, but the majority of fans that are used to seeing all these 4.5 and lower times are going to question why they ever signed a wide receiver with that kind of speed. There is an article that I use to have bookmarked but lost it, talking about the ridiculousness of 40 times and how a roided-up Ben Johnson when running a record 100 meter on a track and using blocks didn't run as fast as a lot of quoted football player's times.

I agree obviously that 40 times are quoted often although it is almost a meaningless statistics. It has developed into a type of shorthand that been established. A 4.5 time is pretty much standard for any running back, defensive back or wide receiver and means that the player has good speed. A sub-4.5 time means that the player is very fast. In reality the only time that is really important is how fast the player is in pads which is seldom reported. As far as height go, generally the players are at least an inch shorter with two not uncommon. Weights are all over the place. Again coaches perpetuate the false stats because they don't want anyone to think they are recruiting smaller and slower athletes.