Chancellor Question

Cr1028

I was able to open it. Here's a quick rundown: BOR -> Chancellor -> President

Only one more level above Jackson, apparently.

Thanks, I guess it's time to upgrade my acrobat reader. I found a link to an article announcing his hire, which was by the board of regents, so I don't think you'll get rid of him until you get new regents; I think people should feel free to question candidates for governor as to criteria for appointments as University Regents.

Appointment of Lee Jackson as Chancellor

I saw one thing in the organization chart that struck me as peculiar. The vice-president of finance at UNT does not report to the president of UNT but instead reports to the chancellor. The apparent reason is that he is vice-chancellor of finance for the UNT System. He's located in Dallas, not Denton.

Another controversy that I seem to recall was that Lee Jackson wanted to move the information systems personnel to Dallas to avoid hiring another staff at the System level.

Addressing the first point that the tuition increase was too high; her request was based on information available and was just that a request. Apparently it is up to the chancellor to recommend the amount of increase to the BOR. How can that be a firable offense even if she made a strong appeal to keep the increase as it was recommended. I don't know how the increase would compare with the tuitions at UT, A&M, Tech and Houston but we had previously been lower than any of those. Furthermore, it hasn't affected our enrollment.

As I recall, the reason Dr. Bataille gave for wanting to keep the IS in Denton was that it was tied to research. I agree that it shouldn't be moved because the majority of the work is in Denton. As chancellor he can get whatever information that he requests without duplicating staff or having them next door or under his thumb.

Lee Jackson may be a smart man but he is also a control freak and needs to be removed. Chancellors do not need to micromanage.

• Upvote 1

I just want to say that I feel that this UNT Dallas business is a terrible thing for UNT Denton. Guess where the system offices of the other D1A schools in Texas are. Texas in Austin, Texas A&M in College Station, Texas Tech in Lubbock, and UH is in Houston. We have ours in Dallas just like FCS Texas State has their system offices in Austin. For you conspiracy theorists, Jackson has his Masters of Public Admin from SMUt. I guess he wanted to move the University closer to his cronys. Does he really give a rat's (you know what) about OUR university? I seriously doubt it. He is collecting his fat cat paycheck livin it up with his Dallas SMUt pals. If we end up like ULL and ULM(I know they didn't start out with those names) and seriously start having to use the name UNT Denton or University of North Texas at Denton or just strictly Denton, I will disown this University and whatever sorryassed system it is a part of at that time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There are nine BOR members. They are appointed by the Governor with the consent of the Senate. They serve staggered six year terms. The Governor also appoints a non-voting student regent each year.

So basically the President is like the Queen of England. Its more honorary?

There are nine BOR members. They are appointed by the Governor with the consent of the Senate. They serve staggered six year terms. The Governor also appoints a non-voting student regent each year.

OK, then when a Regent serves out their time and/or resigns, then who nominates the replacements to be submitted to the gov/senate for approval?