Quarterback Questions

MeanGreen61

Forget it, Riley is the starter of this team. Case closed baring injury.

However I don't think he will start versus Clemson.

Thompson or Tuen should get a fair chance as Riley has shown he is turnover prone against average defenses and is pretty fragile at the College level as can be seen from the numerous injuries the past 2 seasons.

Fixed it for ya.

Emmit I respect you unlike many on this board, but why do you constantly put Riley down? He plays for our university just like the other players on our team. Although he ticks you (everyone) off sometimes, you should not have a personal vendetta for the guy.

Thompson or Tuen should get a fair chance as Riley has shown he is turnover prone against average defenses and is pretty fragile at the College level as can be seen from the numerous injuries the past 2 seasons.

Don't get me wrong, those two will probably get a "token" chance and might even get a start against Clemson, but I really don't see FT playing anyone but Riley.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I'm getting POed by the character assasination toward Riley, Knott and others by members of this board. There was pretty much an unwritten rule that coaches are fair game for slander but players are not. It's one thing to critique a players abilities but to question his dodging starts because he fears getting hurt, or daddy is taking care of him, or he doesn't doesn't try, or the like is just plain wrong.

Riley was a redshirt freshman who excelled in high school. He had all kind of honors as a QUARTERBACK, not as an athlete (since no such position exists). He was the fifth best quarterback in the SBC this past year (QB rating, passing yardage) with the highest completion percentage in the league. Ninth best at rushing yardage which makes him the best dual threat in the league. He should win Freshman of the Year honors.

Does he have weaknesses? Sure. Even if he can't throw the ball 40 yards on a rope how often does that come into play in a game? Since he is seldom a pocket passer there is little need for him to be 6-4. I recently watched a pro quarterback about Riley's height tear up the best team in the NFL from two years ago. Drew Brees does very well at an exaggerated six feet. Riley has more speed to get away from pursuit than any of our other quarterbacks. His mechanics are almost flawless. His reading ability is as good as we've had. He's had some injury problems but recovers quickly and will play with pain.

Some of Riley's fumbles and interceptions are from trying too hard to make something happen. Hopefully, those are freshman mistakes that he can learn to control.

Emmit I respect you unlike many on this board, but why do you constantly put Riley down? He plays for our university just like the other players on our team. Although he ticks you (everyone) off sometimes, you should not have a personal vendetta for the guy.

It's not a knock on Riley, he literally is not allowed to be touched in practice.

I'm getting POed by the character assasination toward Riley, Knott and others by members of this board. There was pretty much an unwritten rule that coaches are fair game for slander but players are not. It's one thing to critique a players abilities but to question his dodging starts because he fears getting hurt, or daddy is taking care of him, or he doesn't doesn't try, or the like is just plain wrong.

Riley was a redshirt freshman who excelled in high school. He had all kind of honors as a QUARTERBACK, not as an athlete (since no such position exists). He was the fifth best quarterback in the SBC this past year (QB rating, passing yardage) with the highest completion percentage in the league. Ninth best at rushing yardage which makes him the best dual threat in the league. He should win Freshman of the Year honors.

Does he have weaknesses? Sure. Even if he can't throw the ball 40 yards on a rope how often does that come into play in a game? Since he is seldom a pocket passer there is little need for him to be 6-4. I recently watched a pro quarterback about Riley's height tear up the best team in the NFL from two years ago. Drew Brees does very well at an exaggerated six feet. Riley has more speed to get away from pursuit than any of our other quarterbacks. His mechanics are almost flawless. His reading ability is as good as we've had. He's had some injury problems but recovers quickly and will play with pain.

Some of Riley's fumbles and interceptions are from trying too hard to make something happen. Hopefully, those are freshman mistakes that he can learn to control.

I hope I haven't engaged in character assassination towards Riley, and have criticized those who have claimed he was faking injuries or otherwise not doing his best. It is widely perceived by many who follow football in this area, whether true or not, that there won't be an open competition for quarterback at North Texas under the present circumstances. And I do think the saying that the most popular player on a team is always the backup (or third string in our case) QB only holds true for losing teams. However, I have found the things said about Knott to be even more reprehensible, suggesting that we "hate" him. Isn't it reasonable though, to question why, regardless of who has been kicking or punting for North Texas during the Dodge era, that their performance, as well as that of their supporting cast, and the kicking game overall, has regressed? I for one don't claim to know any one person to blame for all this, but I do believe it's the responsibility of the head coach, Todd Dodge, to see that our kicking game gets better.

Edited by eulessismore

Amen, I think anyone who questions Riley's courage is frankly a fool. As far as QB's not being hit in practice that is the norm not the exception. Anytime a coach plays his son especially at QB, the criticism is going to be on going escalating with ever loss, abating with the victories. Every position should be open to competition and I have no reason to believe that they are not. Fact is that Riley had little competition last year and hopefully that will change. I believe that most people that look at Riley's season will rate it as good for a redshirt freshman. Yes, Riley's had way too many turnovers, but he also kept NT in games by his ability to read the defense and his speed. I also wonder at all the fans that are just sure that Riley should be playing another position. Their rationale is that he would have never played QB at UT. Yes, at UT that virtually has it choice of athletes; he most likely would never see the field as a QB. On the other hand, most teams not in the first tier of programs would have given Riley every opportunity to play QB. I wonder if Riley was just your everyday Parade All American QB and not the coach's son if he would get close to the negative reaction he does. I am much more concerned that Riley will be curtailed by injury rather than by lack of desire or talent.

It is easy to pick on QB's that throw interceptions, players that fumble, receivers that drop balls and kickers who are not successful. Much more difficult to determine who missed their blocks, ran the wrong routes, or blow their assignments on defense. Believe me, there are ample areas to be improved in almost all aspects of game for a 2 win Belt team.

Forget it, Riley is the starter of this team. Case closed baring injury.

So 2nd weekof the season?

The players arent men, they arent 40.

I think it will be Riley's job to lose, but I believe that gap between Riley and the next in line has closed significantly. I personally hope that Riley can learn from and not repeat those freshman mistakes from this past fall, and will go on to have a 25 TD/5 Int type of season next fall to compliment his rushing. I do like Derek Thompson a lot though and he'll push Riley. I know RV and others has been high on him since he arrived.

TD will put RD in as QB....this will be responsible for us having a major losing season again and should cost TD his job.....RD has been responsible for most of the loses where we could have won due to his turnovers....he should not be our qb....try Thompson.

Riley will head to spring ball the #1 QB...and, I believe will EARN the #1 spot coming out of spring ball. Clearly the best option UNT has at QB at the moment. There will be many on this board, led by the ever "dissing Riley", Emmitt, that will believe that Riley did not EARN the #1 spot, but was given the spot by TD. Silly, silly folks. TD's job and reputation, as well as UNT's rebuilding program and new stadium project, depend in large part on how the team performs next season. So, how can anyone think that the Head Coach would play anyone who he does not think has earned his position? It just amazes me how some folks think a guy would risk his career in that manner.

Give it a rest. I also agree, that folks on this board should think a bit more before they post player specific like and dislikes. Praise for an individual player would certainly be great, but the "dissing" (is that really a word these days?) and constant ragging on individual players should be reconsidered.

You think a head coach would never bench his kid...check out Colorado...another struggling program that decided to give its head coach another year.

Riley will head to spring ball the #1 QB...and, I believe will EARN the #1 spot coming out of spring ball. Clearly the best option UNT has at QB at the moment. There will be many on this board, led by the ever "dissing Riley", Emmitt, that will believe that Riley did not EARN the #1 spot, but was given the spot by TD. Silly, silly folks. TD's job and reputation, as well as UNT's rebuilding program and new stadium project, depend in large part on how the team performs next season. So, how can anyone think that the Head Coach would play anyone who he does not think has earned his position? It just amazes me how some folks think a guy would risk his career in that manner.

Give it a rest. I also agree, that folks on this board should think a bit more before they post player specific like and dislikes. Praise for an individual player would certainly be great, but the "dissing" (is that really a word these days?) and constant ragging on individual players should be reconsidered.

You think a head coach would never bench his kid...check out Colorado...another struggling program that decided to give its head coach another year.

Hawkins watched his Son tank as the starting QB for 3 straight seasons. Only when his job was really on the line, did he decide to pull him.

• Upvote 1

I'm getting POed by the character assasination toward Riley...

I'm right there with on everything but the highlighted portion. Look, I'm one of the biggest Riley Dodge fans you're going to find, but whether or not it's arm strength or bad ball placement or not getting the ball out quick enough--- he's GOT to improve on delivering balls down field THIS (and every, for that matter) offseason. I don't see how completing deep balls is NOT a major weapon that this offense looks to use----we're bringing in speed burners Tyler Stradford and William Cole for the explicit purpose of opening up defenses DOWN THE FIELD. Do we want to get those guys the ball inside of 15 yards and hope their quickness can stretch plays, also? Absolutely....but the biggest thing this offense is missing is the deep threat that forces defenses to back up off the line of scrimmage. I don't remember a SINGLE completion by Riley all year on a ball thrown further than 25 yards (yd markers--not counting distance to sideline) down the field that was out in front of a receiver. Not ONE. I watched Riley, and this offense, in high school and he completed these passes all the time....he almost always threw a rainbow, high arching ball, but it was at least out in front of the receiver....and he had some freaking burners playing WR at Southlake. In college, it's almost like he's not able to make the read quick enough so that he can get the ball out before the receiver is too far down the field.

I think there is a noticeable difference in his arm strength from his high school days to now....but he's got to keep getting stronger. I think he'll eventually get there and has the potential to be the best QB we've ever seen in Denton---maybe not the best pro-potential, but the kid is really, really talented---so who knows?. I don't think it's too much, though, to be honest about assessing areas that he needs to improve in.

Edited by TIgreen01