Kragthorpe Out As Louisville Coach

NT03

Why the immediate love? Good at Tulsa and a bust at Louisville. If he came here, which would UNT be: a Tulsa or a Louisville?

I believe he came in following up Petrino, which means he had to do at least what he did and that is a tough act to follow. And I believe just as there are many coaches who are better off as position coaches than head coaches, there are some coaches that are better suited for certain schools as opposed to others.

Why the immediate love? Good at Tulsa and a bust at Louisville. If he came here, which would UNT be: a Tulsa or a Louisville?

Folks, UNT needs "The Guy"; someone who will coach here and enjoy mutual affection for ten years or more. Kragthorpe was signed through 2011 when he left Tulsa in January of 2007! How much has he cost Louisville to be known as someone who came in as coach for a team that had gone 12-1, returned most of its offensive starters, and most of the assistant coaches still on staff, only to go 6-6 the following year, with an offense that had over 4,000 passing yards, but a defense that "struggled mightily", who ran off a Louisville legend, offensive coordinator Jeff Brohm, to take over play calling himself this year, when he went 4-8.

That same former offensive coordinator is now an assistant at FAU; maybe we should check him out.

Jeff Brohm, FAU assistant

I'm starting to think Kragthorpe may be another practitioner of the "finesse football", which worked well for him at Tulsa, and which has become widely hated here at North Texas. Maybe what works one place doesn't in another.

Kragthorpe was making 1.5 million a year at Louisville...NT isn't going to pony up that kind of money I am afraid

We are going to take another crap shoot gamble on an assistant from a MID-MAJOR program.

We cannot even bring in an assistant from one of the major conferences. If we could have, we would have brought in Tyrone Nix when we hired Dodge.

That is why I argue for keeping Dodge for one more year. I just don't see us being able financially to bring in someone that is a proven commodity. Dodge has got some players sitting this year that will impact this team.

Can he win games with them??? I don't know, but I also don't know if we can bring in someone that we are sure is better.

Kragthorpe was making 1.5 million a year at Louisville...NT isn't going to pony up that kind of money I am afraid

We are going to take another crap shoot gamble on an assistant from a MID-MAJOR program.

We cannot even bring in an assistant from one of the major conferences. If we could have, we would have brought in Tyrone Nix when we hired Dodge.

That is why I argue for keeping Dodge for one more year. I just don't see us being able financially to bring in someone that is a proven commodity. Dodge has got some players sitting this year that will impact this team.

Can he win games with them??? I don't know, but I also don't know if we can bring in someone that we are sure is better.

enough of this failed argument...we have the money to pay a coach...we could afford $1 million a year if needed...

enough of this failed argument...we have the money to pay a coach...we could afford $1 million a year if needed...

You are correct, the university could spot the athletic dept some dough to bring in a name coach and an entire experienced staff until the dedicated fee kicks in here. NT can do it if they truly cared and saw the importance of a quality hire. Whether they actually do it is yet to be seen. If the admin don't care, why should the alum?

You are correct, the university could spot the athletic dept some dough to bring in a name coach and an entire experienced staff until the dedicated fee kicks in here. NT can do it if they truly cared and saw the importance of a quality hire. Whether they actually do it is yet to be seen. If the admin don't care, why should the alum?

First, to think we have $1 million dollars to pay a coach is laughable. And no, the university cannot spot the athletic dept any money. What does an adm need to do to show you they care? Were you at the ground breaking last Saturday? The alum should step up and now is the time.

First, to think we have $1 million dollars to pay a coach is laughable. And no, the university cannot spot the athletic dept any money. What does an adm need to do to show you they care? Were you at the ground breaking last Saturday? The alum should step up and now is the time.

First, I never mentioned a dollar amount in my post, don't have to pay a million to greatly upgrade our coach and most of staff. Yes, the university can spot the athletic some money, they've done it before. Show me they care? Get serious about our athletic dept in every aspect ie funding, salaries, research on coach hires, etc. I was at the groundbreaking, it was okay but nothing spectacular.

Well, the athletic department is supported by donations, not by dollars from the university. You know, the admin and regents did not have to approve the building of the stadium. The athletic fee, though it is being used for the stadium, does not have to be. Are you a donor? If not, please step up to the plate and let the admin know you care. Sorry the new stadium is not "serious" enough for you.

Edited by Green Dozer

Well, the athletic department is supported by donations, not by dollars from the university. You know, the admin and regents did not have to approve the building of the stadium. The athletic fee, though it is being used for the stadium, does not have to be. Are you a donor? If not, please step up to the plate and let the admin know you care. Sorry the new stadium is not "serious" enough for you.

I swear this doesn't have to be this difficult. A little reading comprehension goes a long way. Your 1st sentence is correct, however, it doesn't address what I stated. The University can loan money to the athletic dept, they have done it before. You are correct, the admin and regents didn't have to approve the building of a stadium, however, the students passed the fee, the admin and regents approving the students decision doesn't exactly show support. How would it have looked to vote down something already voted on and passed by students? Yes, I am a donor. I give money to both the business dept and athletics. I said I went to the stadium groundbreaking and it was okay, how could that possibly translate into the stadium not being serious enough for me?

Edited by GreenMachine

Why would that be money well spent? I might disagree with a lot of what The Fake Lonnie Finch has said, but it's true what he's said that coaches who make even(!) less than Todd Dodge have beaten us with Dodge coaching. If we start looking for a new head coach, we should find some with better resumes than Kragthorpe for much less than he has made at Louisville. It has been pointed out that Al Golden, who has turned around the Temple University football program, is only making around $500k. We have to have someone coaching at North Texas who wants to be here for a career; that's the way great programs are built and sustained. Yes, Schnelly and Petrino did great things at Louisville, then left for greener pastures. Kragthorpe probably wishes he had stayed in Tulsa, except for the fact that his balance sheet probably looks pretty good right now. The only statement I've heard attributed to him about North Texas is that he would NOT want to be head coach here. Does that tell anybody anything? If someone who was an assistant coach here hasn't believed in the future of our football program, what difference does the strength of his resume make?

Edited by eulessismore

Whoever hires Kragthorpe won't have to pony up anywhere near that range. When Louisville hired Kragthorpe, he was the hot coach on the rise. Now, he is the former Tulsa coach who flopped on a bigger stage. I don't know if he'd reconsider North Texas, but his price is certainly going to fall back into typical (i.e., non-June Jones) Conference USA pay range.

Whoever hires Kragthorpe won't have to pony up anywhere near that range. When Louisville hired Kragthorpe, he was the hot coach on the rise. Now, he is the former Tulsa coach who flopped on a bigger stage. I don't know if he'd reconsider North Texas, but his price is certainly going to fall back into typical (i.e., non-June Jones) Conference USA pay range.

I have real doubts as to whether he would he be happy here. That seemed like a real sweet deal he had at Tulsa, where he left in 2007, under contract through 2011. What kind of money was he making at Tulsa? If his departure from Tulsa was just about the big paycheck, I just don't think he'd be happy here, and he should be asked why he wants to be coach at North Texas. To claw his way back from flophood sufficiently to be caught in the next whirlwind courtship by a school with deeper pockets?