Monday Morning Recap

Quoner

This whole losing close business is maddening for all of us, but each weekend this season has been a test of who's going to keep it together and avoid the peaks and valleys. I was so excited after Ball State and immediately caught myself figuring out what the other six wins on the schedule would be. Ohio and UL were on the list and I was convinced we would ride a strong running game, improved defense and a limited passing game as far as it would take us. The schedule was so soft, it just made sense.

What I didn't count on was the wild and wacky turnover circus to come to town each and every weekend. It's really the hardest thing to deal with as a fan, because you have to sit there and decide if you want to focus on the good and realize that your team gave the game away with their own mistakes or curse the players busting their butts to win for having the nerve to give up the ball in key situations. In short, you make the fundamental choice of how you want to exist: as a person who sees the good in things or a fundamentally pessimistic person always looking for the gray lining. It's heavy stuff, and it says a lot about who you are.

Well, it would, if there wasn't a third option. Put on your protective helmets and stay with me. North Texas is #105 in turnovers allowed in the NCAA. Ohio is #2 in turnovers forced. MTSU is #14. North Texas is #97. FAU is #113. You could maybe argue that we have played some teams that excel at forcing turnovers so far - not that it's an excuse. However, if we see a another crap the bed 3-5 turnover performance against an FAU team that has forced 5 turnovers all freaking season, it's probably time to start taping the ball to hands during games and making people carry balls that explode if dropped.

The other option. F bombs. Lot's of F bombs. As someone who gets slapped on the wrist any time I draw a one between two lowercase "o's" on the board, I love watching the crazy train roll through each Saturday night. I'd like to think if I wasn't so even-keel and ironically detached, I could write crazy rants too! BF this coaching staff right in the A with someone else's D. Don't worry mods, it means befriend this coaching staff right in the Auditorium with someone else's donations. I'm sick of rooting for such a sorry bunch of f'ng f-balls with l's blown all over their b's! See, it makes you feel better and it degrades people doing something for your entertainment. It's the best of both worlds!

Switching gears, I've been thinking of whether it is okay to ask Riley to go drinking with me without violating any laws. This cop keeps telling me not to do it and then I might as well be drinking with Tony Romo, but now that I know he is 21, I'm sending the evite tomorrow. Riley Dodge, will you be my homecoming date to the Pourhouse, you 21-year old stallion? You may not be Scott Hall yet, but I can see that maybe, just maybe, you were never meant to be Scott Hall.

Lost in all the hub-bub about Riley is a stat I particularly enjoyed -- Did you know that our average yards per rush and average yards per pass attempt were exactly the same? 5.5 yards a carry/attempt. Now, it's been awhile since I took the BC calculus test, but if my math is right, we might have been able to really pound the ball during the fourth quarter. But hell, I've never been a numbers guy.

I have been an I-told-you-so-guy, so congratulations(?) to Bundy for spotlighting a kid in 2006 who delivered on the promise shown in 2006. I'm telling all of you, these board archives are a real pain in the A.

Still, much like the final season of Lost, the true story of the board is the struggle between light and dark (and we still don't know who is really right and good in this war), as well as the random, haphazard meltdowns of long-time posters finally driven mad by following this team.

This week, it was Flyer. That's right, the same guy who just fought tooth and nail to pass the stadium fee because he believed in and supported this program, is now at his breaking point. Now, he was never a movie extra around campus or the inventor of the tortilla toss like some big names, but this seems like a big deal to me. The good news -- he'll be welcomed back with open arms when this thing turns around. I can tell the sentiment relieved him enough to calm down the next morning. So, you may feel smug and better than Mr. Flyer now, but ask yourself, when will I break? Will alcohol be involved? Will it be this year? Will it happen in the new stadium? Did I tell my family I love them before game day? Did I tell the girl in accounting how I feel or did I just waste those moments at the fax machine. WE DON'T HAVE A LOT OF TIME HERE PEOPLE. TREAT LIFE LIKE IT IS A PRECIOUS GIFT, YOU F'N AH's!!!

For those of that survive these breakdowns, we keep our eyes forward, ignoring the carnage in our wake. Sure, we ran 10 plays this week, but maybe we'll add a few next week. The future is bright (and not in a sarcastic, sunglasses-themed 80s way) and this roster will have some serious talent with experience next season. So in the meantime, project more wins in the next 7 games then we've enjoyed in 2.5 years. Ignore the fact that Army may not be the pushover we thought (we're still beating them, though). Focus some rage on those stupid, mf'n refs.

Have you seen those crazy kick-off formations, though? Total mind-blower.

Until next time, GOODNIGHT EVERYBODY!!!

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fep5ZI2Bb9o&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fep5ZI2Bb9o&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

This whole losing close business is maddening for all of us, but each weekend this season has been a test of who's going to keep it together and avoid the peaks and valleys. I was so excited after Ball State and immediately caught myself figuring out what the other six wins on the schedule would be. Ohio and UL were on the list and I was convinced we would ride a strong running game, improved defense and a limited passing game as far as it would take us. The schedule was so soft, it just made sense.

What I didn't count on was the wild and wacky turnover circus to come to town each and every weekend. It's really the hardest thing to deal with as a fan, because you have to sit there and decide if you want to focus on the good and realize that your team gave the game away with their own mistakes or curse the players busting their butts to win for having the nerve to give up the ball in key situations. In short, you make the fundamental choice of how you want to exist: as a person who sees the good in things or a fundamentally pessimistic person always looking for the gray lining. It's heavy stuff, and it says a lot about who you are.

Well, it would, if there wasn't a third option. Put on your protective helmets and stay with me. North Texas is #105 in turnovers allowed in the NCAA. Ohio is #2 in turnovers forced. MTSU is #14. North Texas is #97. FAU is #113. You could maybe argue that we have played some teams that excel at forcing turnovers so far - not that it's an excuse. However, if we see a another crap the bed 3-5 turnover performance against an FAU team that has forced 5 turnovers all freaking season, it's probably time to start taping the ball to hands during games and making people carry balls that explode if dropped.

The other option. F bombs. Lot's of F bombs. As someone who gets slapped on the wrist any time I draw a one between two lowercase "o's" on the board, I love watching the crazy train roll through each Saturday night. I'd like to think if I wasn't so even-keel and ironically detached, I could write crazy rants too! BF this coaching staff right in the A with someone else's D. Don't worry mods, it means befriend this coaching staff right in the Auditorium with someone else's donations. I'm sick of rooting for such a sorry bunch of f'ng f-balls with l's blown all over their b's! See, it makes you feel better and it degrades people doing something for your entertainment. It's the best of both worlds!

Switching gears, I've been thinking of whether it is okay to ask Riley to go drinking with me without violating any laws. This cop keeps telling me not to do it and then I might as well be drinking with Tony Romo, but now that I know he is 21, I'm sending the evite tomorrow. Riley Dodge, will you be my homecoming date to the Pourhouse, you 21-year old stallion? You may not be Scott Hall yet, but I can see that maybe, just maybe, you were never meant to be Scott Hall.

Lost in all the hub-bub about Riley is a stat I particularly enjoyed -- Did you know that our average yards per rush and average yards per pass attempt were exactly the same? 5.5 yards a carry/attempt. Now, it's been awhile since I took the BC calculus test, but if my math is right, we might have been able to really pound the ball during the fourth quarter. But hell, I've never been a numbers guy.

I have been an I-told-you-so-guy, so congratulations(?) to Bundy for spotlighting a kid in 2006 who delivered on the promise shown in 2006. I'm telling all of you, these board archives are a real pain in the A.

Still, much like the final season of Lost, the true story of the board is the struggle between light and dark (and we still don't know who is really right and good in this war), as well as the random, haphazard meltdowns of long-time posters finally driven mad by following this team.

This week, it was Flyer. That's right, the same guy who just fought tooth and nail to pass the stadium fee because he believed in and supported this program, is now at his breaking point. Now, he was never a movie extra around campus or the inventor of the tortilla toss like some big names, but this seems like a big deal to me. The good news -- he'll be welcomed back with open arms when this thing turns around. I can tell the sentiment relieved him enough to calm down the next morning. So, you may feel smug and better than Mr. Flyer now, but ask yourself, when will I break? Will alcohol be involved? Will it be this year? Will it happen in the new stadium? Did I tell my family I love them before game day? Did I tell the girl in accounting how I feel or did I just waste those moments at the fax machine. WE DON'T HAVE A LOT OF TIME HERE PEOPLE. TREAT LIFE LIKE IT IS A PRECIOUS GIFT, YOU F'N AH's!!!

For those of that survive these breakdowns, we keep our eyes forward, ignoring the carnage in our wake. Sure, we ran 10 plays this week, but maybe we'll add a few next week. The future is bright (and not in a sarcastic, sunglasses-themed 80s way) and this roster will have some serious talent with experience next season. So in the meantime, project more wins in the next 7 games then we've enjoyed in 2.5 years. Ignore the fact that Army may not be the pushover we thought (we're still beating them, though). Focus some rage on those stupid, mf'n refs.

Have you seen those crazy kick-off formations, though? Total mind-blower.

Until next time, GOODNIGHT EVERYBODY!!!

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fep5ZI2Bb9o&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fep5ZI2Bb9o&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Question - were those turnover rankings pre or post-UNT games?

I'm staying very quiet on my opinion of this season but I'm not nearly as disappointed as most seem to be. I see a young team that is improving as the season progresses. Should we be 3-2 right now?? Probably, but, so far, this team is giving me what I asked for...marked improvement and competitive football. Of course, I want wins just like everyone else does but anyone who thought we'd win the Belt in 2009 probably still believes in Santa Claus too. I think we still have an excellent chance to win 4-5 games this year. I also believe that we have enough talent on this year's team, coupled with the redshirt/incoming class to win the SBC in 2010...and I don't like to rely on "paper talent." We're two key plays away from having a winning record in 2009 (thus far) and we were just a few more plays away from beating one of the SBC favorites, MTSU. If we can finish strong, by winning 4 of our last 5 games, we could really see a lift in recruiting.

Question - were those turnover rankings pre or post-UNT games?

I'm staying very quiet on my opinion of this season but I'm not nearly as disappointed as most seem to be. I see a young team that is improving as the season progresses. Should we be 3-2 right now?? Probably, but, so far, this team is giving me what I asked for...marked improvement and competitive football. Of course, I want wins just like everyone else does but anyone who thought we'd win the Belt in 2009 probably still believes in Santa Claus too. I think we still have an excellent chance to win 4-5 games this year. I also believe that we have enough talent on this year's team, coupled with the redshirt/incoming class to win the SBC in 2010...and I don't like to rely on "paper talent." We're two key plays away from having a winning record in 2009 (thus far) and we were just a few more plays away from beating one of the SBC favorites, MTSU. If we can finish strong, by winning 4 of our last 5 games, we could really see a lift in recruiting.

That's a good question and why I pointed out that FAU sucks at forcing turnovers thus far. If I really wanted to do this right, I'd look at everyone we played, the teams they played, turnovers forced each games, the ranks of those teams -- and then I would be fired because I already wrote this post on work time. so, I'm going to do the lazy thing and see how FAU turns out.

As for all the other love posts, I don't deserve them. I love you all back, but that love comes from a place of shame and darkness.

You are a genius. In 2 short paragraphs you managed to capture all there is to being a NT football fan.

I was pretty impressed that Flyer lasted this long. Most of us lost it sometime during the 2008 season. We might still be losing this season, but there is at least hope for the future....could be blind hope, but at least there is something?

You are a genius. In 2 short paragraphs you managed to capture all there is to being a NT football fan.

I was pretty impressed that Flyer lasted this long. Most of us lost it sometime during the 2008 season. We might still be losing this season, but there is at least hope for the future....could be blind hope, but at least there is something?

Mine was the Rice loss last year

However, if we see a another crap the bed 3-5 turnover performance against an FAU team that has forced 5 turnovers all freaking season, it's probably time to start taping the ball to hands during games and making people carry balls that explode if dropped.

This gem is pure greatness!!!!

Quoner, many thanks !! right smack dab in the middle of a perfect perspective. This season reminds me of a date I had about 1000 yrs ago . All was going pretty well...eventually the talk evolved towards sex..Then BAM...she said it.." I dont put out on the first date". Being the young realist I was...I quickly responded " Well, do you put out on the LAST date". her startled look of " whoa.. you didnt' just say that !" kinda gave me the hint I needed to re-evaluate the situation. Obviously ! that WAS simultaneously our first and last date. And just like after our ball games, I walked back to the car spewing some new words for the moderators. So here I am too......I didnt "overly" expect alot going into the season...just alot of HOPE. I keep going...game after game....hoping to "get some" (wins !!)......DIDN'T HAPPEN. I'm now approaching the last date again. And if I dont "get any"......It still was a cheap date !!!. All total, tickets, gas, food, one new hat per year, parking....I'll spend @ 350.00 for 12 weeks of HOPE and a heckuva alot of ENTERTAINMENT. Hell Man !!...can't play golf for 12 weeks that cheap and golf's a helluva lot more frustrating. Instead of seeing 2-3 other guys throw clubs and cuss...I can watch 19,000 throw caps and food and scream right along with ME !!! Who Knows.......we might "get lucky" .

Quoner, many thanks !! right smack dab in the middle of a perfect perspective. This season reminds me of a date I had about 1000 yrs ago . All was going pretty well...eventually the talk evolved towards sex..Then BAM...she said it.." I dont put out on the first date". Being the young realist I was...I quickly responded " Well, do you put out on the LAST date". her startled look of " whoa.. you didnt' just say that !" kinda gave me the hint I needed to re-evaluate the situation. Obviously ! that WAS simultaneously our first and last date. And just like after our ball games, I walked back to the car spewing some new words for the moderators. So here I am too......I didnt "overly" expect alot going into the season...just alot of HOPE. I keep going...game after game....hoping to "get some" (wins !!)......DIDN'T HAPPEN. I'm now approaching the last date again. And if I dont "get any"......It still was a cheap date !!!. All total, tickets, gas, food, one new hat per year, parking....I'll spend @ 350.00 for 12 weeks of HOPE and a heckuva alot of ENTERTAINMENT. Hell Man !!...can't play golf for 12 weeks that cheap and golf's a helluva lot more frustrating. Instead of seeing 2-3 other guys throw clubs and cuss...I can watch 19,000 throw caps and food and scream right along with ME !!! Who Knows.......we might "get lucky" .

thisissowrongbutitfeelssogoodspockk.jpg

Nail, meet Hammer. Great Post...

Call it eternal optimism, call it green kool-aid, I asked for more competitive, I've gotten it...I'll be back, season ticket and mean green club membership in hand, week in and week out, until I die. I made my bed when I got my diploma, I'll lie in until I no longer can. Can't bitch, if you don't pony up.

To all those that want Dodge gone: Start a website asking for donations for a fund to help facilitate that process. Call me back in 10 years when you're still trying to scrape together a thousand dollars.

Go Mean Green!

This season reminds me of a date I had about 1000 yrs ago . All was going pretty well...eventually the talk evolved towards sex..Then BAM...she said it.." I dont put out on the first date". Being the young realist I was...I quickly responded " Well, do you put out on the LAST date". her startled look of " whoa.. you didnt' just say that !" kinda gave me the hint I needed to re-evaluate the situation. Obviously ! that WAS simultaneously our first and last date. And just like after our ball games, I walked back to the car spewing some new words for the moderators. So here I am too......I didnt "overly" expect alot going into the season...just alot of HOPE. I keep going...game after game....hoping to "get some" (wins !!)......DIDN'T HAPPEN. I'm now approaching the last date again. And if I dont "get any"......It still was a cheap date !!!. All total, tickets, gas, food, one new hat per year, parking....I'll spend @ 350.00 for 12 weeks of HOPE and a heckuva alot of ENTERTAINMENT. Hell Man !!...can't play golf for 12 weeks that cheap and golf's a helluva lot more frustrating. Instead of seeing 2-3 other guys throw clubs and cuss...I can watch 19,000 throw caps and food and scream right along with ME !!! Who Knows.......we might "get lucky" .

:clapping:

Rick