Unt Picks Up Transfer

Brett Vito

I am always glad to see us pick up more talent, but we are not losing this year because of a lack of talent.

We are about where I expected us to be this year. To me, there are 4 big reasons for that.

1) Our defense is much improved. But, they still have a ways to go to even be one of the top in the Belt.

2) Riley is still a RS Freshman with only 3 games under his belt.

3) The WR's are a nice group. But, the lack of a real threat (size and speed) is not keeping the defenses honest. Losing Fitz was a pretty big deal.

4) The Sunbelt is vastly improved. The improvements on our team this year may not transfer to wins.

Next year is THE year to see the wins beging piling up. The remaining part of this year, I just want to see some improvement. If both Stradford and Cole are playing for us next year, our WR's will match the skill sets of many BCS teams (if not most). Riley will be a year older with a full season under his belt. Our RB situation is fine right now. The defense should continue to improve under G.D.

This rebuilding process has taken longer than any of us had hoped. But on paper, next year is when we should finally start to see things really turn around. This year, it will be exciting to watch the team grow and mature (hopefully) as they get ready for the big push in the next couple of seasons.

Edited by akriesman

4) The Sunbelt is vastly improved. The improvements on our team this year may not transfer to wins.

Is this based on research or just an overall feeling? Tasty did an article either last year or the year before about how the Sun Belt is no better now than it was when we won the titles.

You may believe that with a year of experience and more deep threat guys translates to the "wins pilling up" but if that that happens after this team not going 6-6 this year, I dare say that not too many teams has that ever happened to.

Is this based on research or just an overall feeling? Tasty did an article either last year or the year before about how the Sun Belt is no better now than it was when we won the titles.

You may believe that with a year of experience and more deep threat guys translates to the "wins pilling up" but if that that happens after this team not going 6-6 this year, I dare say that not too many teams has that ever happened to.

Research smesearch. As Randy Gallloway says, WATCH THE DAMN GAMES! I think that some of the OOC wins speak for themselves. Ark State coming within 3 against # 13 Iowa? Yeah that didn't use to happen. MTSU knocking off Maryland 2 years in a row? nope.

Research smesearch. As Randy Gallloway says, WATCH THE DAMN GAMES! I think that some of the OOC wins speak for themselves. Ark State coming within 3 against # 13 Iowa? Yeah that didn't use to happen. MTSU knocking off Maryland 2 years in a row? nope.

MTSU was knocking off names in 2001.

Troy has taken down OSU and Mizzou.

ASU beat A&M

Monroe beat Bama

K State loses or almost loses to someone.

These stand out and a few happen every year. We also get 5 times as many Troy vs. Florida scores that we just try to forget.

As Randy Galloway also says, "keep 'em coming and put 'em on my tab."

You may want to go back and check the results from the 2001 to 2004 years. I think there has been some improvement in the league mainly due to more teams, but this substantial improvement everyone keeps referring to is more wishful thinking than real. There have been more home games against more respected programs than in the earlier years and that has let to a few impressive victories. However, to tout a few victories and close games with highly favored teams and ignore the usual routs that happen when the Belt plays the Auto 6 conference teams and a woeful 1-3 record against the mighty MAC this year; does not make a strong case for the Belt being better. The fact is that the Belt is generally rated the worst conference in the NCAA this year as it has been through most of it's existence.

You may want to go back and check the results from the 2001 to 2004 years. I think there has been some improvement in the league mainly due to more teams, but this substantial improvement everyone keeps referring to is more wishful thinking than real. There have been more home games against more respected programs than in the earlier years and that has let to a few impressive victories. However, to tout a few victories and close games with highly favored teams and ignore the usual routs that happen when the Belt plays the Auto 6 conference teams and a woeful 1-3 record against the mighty MAC this year; does not make a strong case for the Belt being better. The fact is that the Belt is generally rated the worst conference in the NCAA this year as it has been through most of it's existence.

He doesn't want to check. Why are you torturing him?

Bottomline: I like these type of kids...Everyone deserves a second chance...

I think get him eligible and cleared and let him play asap, next year is his last year, so take advantage of any time you can get him this year..

Belt "seems" to be better because we can't beat the snot out of every conference opponent like we did in the early part of this decade.

Belts not better, we're not as good as we once were...seems obvious I know...

The reason I like this is that the kid is a fighter. We need fighters on this team. He could be our LeGarrett Blount.

Hey, anyone want to go across the middle for a pass against the guy who survives knife fights? And, a guy who will voluntarily live in Cisco, Texas for a couple of years? Didn't think so. They may not even have dorms at Cisco. Plus, I think they have to hunt and kill their own food as well...out on the hard-scrabble plains of West Texas.

Also...consider this...the kid gets kicked off the loose ship that Pirate Mike runs up in Lubbock? Wow! Now that's some stuff right there. This team needs more characters, and this guy fits the bill perfectly. Play him this year, if possible.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I think this team will compete if not win the Belt in 2010. With the weapons that are going to be added on offense, and adding more and more players like this on D. We are starting to get to where we need to be. You have to admit that Dodge is starting to pick up some good ball players no matter where from or how.

The reason I like this is that the kid is a fighter. We need fighters on this team. He could be our LeGarrett Blount.

Hey, anyone want to go across the middle for a pass against the guy who survives knife fights? And, a guy who will voluntarily live in Cisco, Texas for a couple of years? Didn't think so. They may not even have dorms at Cisco. Plus, I think they have to hunt and kill their own food as well...out on the hard-scrabble plains of West Texas.

Also...consider this...the kid gets kicked off the loose ship that Pirate Mike runs up in Lubbock? Wow! Now that's some stuff right there. This team needs more characters, and this guy fits the bill perfectly. Play him this year, if possible.

TFLF. I'm so feeling your proposed new recruiting strategy. If it is followed, the defense could get a new name:

the_wild_bunch.jpg