Which Health Insurance Company Rejects The Most Claims?

I told those numbers at least twice to watch out who they were hanging out with.... I blame the fractions, if they hadn't come around none of this would have happened...

Oh, it's always the fractions or it's the media stereotypes or it's the drugs...

Maybe the numbers just need to learn the meaning of the phrase "Self Respect". Until the numbers start standing up for themselves and expressing some confidence and pride in who and what they are, it'll just be one excuse after another.

Who's manipulating the numbers this time? Nobody, that's who. The numbers knew the deal before things ever started to escalate. If they don't like the reputation they're getting, the numbers have nobody to blame but themselves.

Poor = Lazy.

For the most part, yes. There are those who are physically or mentally incapable of supporting themselves, but for the most part it is laziness and an entitlement mentality.

Too lazy to study in school as a child, to lazy to study in high school to get to college, too lazy to go to even a community college once they realized where their life was headed, too lazy/stupid/selfish to make lifestyle changes and save money for when they would need it, too lazy to shop around for the best health care they can afford, too lazy to work, too lazy to teach their children how to break the cycle.

For the most part, yes. There are those who are physically or mentally incapable of supporting themselves, but for the most part it is laziness and an entitlement mentality.

Too lazy to study in school as a child, to lazy to study in high school to get to college, too lazy to go to even a community college once they realized where their life was headed, too lazy/stupid/selfish to make lifestyle changes and save money for when they would need it, too lazy to shop around for the best health care they can afford, too lazy to work, too lazy to teach their children how to break the cycle.

And with that, forevereagle...out.

QUOTE(Censored by Laurie @ Oct 6 2009, 01:11 PM)

Poor = Lazy.

Does that include both the nouveau poor and the born poor?

Onion: Growing conflict between old and new poor.

Edited by eulessismore

You've obviously never lived in an impoverished part of a city. if you had, you'd realize how incredibly stupid and insensitive this statement really is.

As for the topic at hand, I find it wildly hilarious people are bitching about Medicare not paying and pointing to that as a failure of the govt when these are probably the same people that would be appalled if the rules for receiving said coverage were relaxed or allowed to encompass a greater portion of the population. Does medicare have the same guidelines for claim denial as the rest, or are do they have more stringent criteria?

Edited by Eagle1855

You've obviously never lived in an impoverished part of a city. if you had, you'd realize how incredibly stupid and insensitive this statement really is.

As for the topic at hand, I find it wildly hilarious people are bitching about Medicare not paying and pointing to that as a failure of the govt when these are probably the same people that would be appalled if the rules for receiving said coverage were relaxed or allowed to encompass a greater portion of the population. Does medicare have the same guidelines for claim denial as the rest, or are do they have more stringent criteria?

Or simply lived in poverty in a small town or rural area.

I haven't ever done that, so I'll have to take your word for it. I usually only speak to things which I actually have experienced or know first-hand, which I realize is "crazy talk" on this portion of the board. :D

It was interesting: honestly, we didn't really know how poor we were until we moved to the city (if you can call Wichita Falls that). Small town people are great, and don't judge you based on the circumstances you were born into. Plus, we raised our own vegetables, enough chickens for eggs and frying hens, and picked fruit from orchards in the summer. Also, not having television, homework was the entertainment for my older brothers and sisters. I learned to read from sitting around the kitchen table after supper with them, learning to read well before the first grade.

Edited by eulessismore

Yeah, obviously. I came from a poor family, and spent a good portion of my childhood in southern trailer parks. And while I don't wish to go into details, I can tell you that I would have been considered a disadvantaged person in my youth, and looked upon by compassionate liberals as someone who would never have a chance at a decent living. Poor me, huh?

I am the first of my family to get a 4-year degree, and when I started college I had $34 in my checking account and a crappy job. I took advantage of low-cost community colleges for the first year, earning a scholarship for my second year, and then a transfer scholarship to UNT to finish my bachelor's.

Last I checked, public schools were still free, and community colleges are affordable to just about everyone. Last I checked, there are grants and student loans that are automatically given to those who fall under a certain income level. Anybody can get an education in this country if they want one. This is America. If you can't get an education and make a living, it's not because of lack of opportunities but rather a lack of effort.

So my comment, which may seem callous and uncaring to you, is actually a testimonial to how great our nation is - one only needs to accept the gifts she offers. Life is about choices, and if you are born disadvantaged you have two of them. Live up to the expectations the world has for you, or tell them all to f*#& off and make your own destiny.

Yeah, obviously. I came from a poor family, and spent a good portion of my childhood in southern trailer parks. And while I don't wish to go into details, I can tell you that I would have been considered a disadvantaged person in my youth, and looked upon by compassionate liberals as someone who would never have a chance at a decent living. Poor me, huh?

I am the first of my family to get a 4-year degree, and when I started college I had $34 in my checking account and a crappy job. I took advantage of low-cost community colleges for the first year, earning a scholarship for my second year, and then a transfer scholarship to UNT to finish my bachelor's.

Last I checked, public schools were still free, and community colleges are affordable to just about everyone. Last I checked, there are grants and student loans that are automatically given to those who fall under a certain income level. Anybody can get an education in this country if they want one. This is America. If you can't get an education and make a living, it's not because of lack of opportunities but rather a lack of effort.

So my comment, which may seem callous and uncaring to you, is actually a testimonial to how great our nation is - one only needs to accept the gifts she offers. Life is about choices, and if you are born disadvantaged you have two of them. Live up to the expectations the world has for you, or tell them all to f*#& off and make your own destiny.

nobody is disputing the greatness of this nation or the availability of resources to help those that want help. Your story is a good one and I applaud you for your efforts. My dad was the first of his family to go to college. He worked, put my family in the position to be able to provide things he never had.

All I can speak to is what I experienced living in the poorest, most crime-ridden part of Nashville (which where I originally cited) where most kids I encountered or spoke to on a daily basis are never taught to think or dream higher than getting a job at a f-ing Krystal Burger because "hey, it's a at least a consistent income" never mind the fact that you can't even afford to support yourself on that kind of pay much less take care of the kids of their own they start having at the age of 16 because "hey, that's just what you do".

Yeah it's stupid. And yeah, it's ignorant. And yes, much of the blame can go to the parents (or, the mom that is supporting a couple kids by different fathers, with little help, as was the case with at least 3 of my immediate neighbors)... so what do you do? F the kids, they're lazy? It goes a lot deeper than "they're all lazy bums". It's a cycle and it's hard to break. Defeatist mentalities are hard to overcome, especially when they've been entrenched in part of town for decades.

Most of the time people bitching about how easy it is to overcome are the ones that don't know a damned thing about it. So if I offended you, that wasn't my intent. But I stand by my statements.

Edited by Eagle1855

nobody is disputing the greatness of this nation or the availability of resources to help those that want help. Your story is a good one and I applaud you for your efforts. My dad was the first of his family to go to college. He worked, put my family in the position to be able to provide things he never had.

All I can speak to is what I experienced living in the poorest, most crime-ridden part of Nashville (which where I originally cited) where most kids I encountered or spoke to on a daily basis are never taught to think or dream higher than getting a job a f-ing Krystal Burger because "hey, it's a at least a consistent income" never mind the fact that you can't even afford to support yourself on that kind of pay much less take care of the kids they of their own they start having at the age of 16 because "hey, that's just what you do".

Yeah it's stupid. And yeah, it's ignorant. And yes, it's almost exclusively the parent's fault... so what do you do? F the kids, they're lazy? It goes a lot deeper than "they're all lazy bums". It's a cycle and it's hard to break. Defeatist mentalities are hard to overcome, especially when they've been entrenched in part of town for decades.

Most of the time people bitching about how easy it is to overcome are the ones that don't know a damned thing about it. So if I offended you, that wasn't my intent. But I stand by my statements.

And kids should not suffer because of the parents they were born to, which is why I support SCHIP for those who make under a certain income.

I would also point out that it is NOT easy to overcome poverty, and I certainly don't mean to imply that it is. But at the same time poverty in America is not the hopeless pit of hell that it is often portrayed. Truly hopeless poverty is in places like India, east Africa, and rural China.

And kids should not suffer because of the parents they were born to, which is why I support SCHIP for those who make under a certain income.

I would also point out that it is NOT easy to overcome poverty, and I certainly don't mean to imply that it is. But at the same time poverty in America is not the hopeless pit of hell that it is often portrayed. Truly hopeless poverty is in places like India, east Africa, and rural China.

Maybe that's why so many in my family have been involved in helping out some of the immigrant communities. One of my sisters and her husband have pretty much sponsored the entire Vietnamese-American community in Wichita Falls. A little empathy (even born of poverty) can go a long way.

So, then poor DOES NOT = lazy...since one might still be poor while overcoming that condition? Sorry, I can understand your and other's policy differences with proposed health policy changes, but what's your purpose in having made what, yes, many do see as a calloused and insensitive remark? On the other hand, I still have a low opinion of those who, inheriting their parents oil fortunes in places like Wichita Falls (and Archer City, according to Larry McMurtrey), pissed it all away, and lied about their assets in bankruptcy court when prices collapsed in the 80's. Still, I suppose their wealth was simply a condition of their birth, and some of them would inevitably "live up" to the image of them that McMurtrey, and others cast in such movies as "The Last Picture Show". To me, the bottom line is that many people are poor at various times, and may or may not improve their situation. The same applies to many who are quite wealthy at various times. Many people can use help at some times; it's no weakness to accept that help. It's also good to help others in return when they need help.

And congratulations for working your way up the ladder; sorry to say you couldn't possibly understand. I don't think I could have done it without the GI bill, and the faculty at then North Texas State University. Thank God for the public education system we do have.

"But stop trying to take MY money to pay for people who make little or no effort to improve their lives. "

Seems like I saw a similar statement in print last year from students who opposed the student service fee being raised. And it seemed like the "people who make little effort" they were talking about were the alumni who wanted a new stadium, but were not willing to pay for it themselves.

Maybe I just imagined it. :rolleyes:

Ah, but there is an important and critical difference. No one is forcing those students to go to UNT or taking their money by force. If they do not like or do not want to pay the student service fee, they are free to go elsewhere.

Keith

Poor people are kept poor by who? Can you say the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. Why work when you don't have to? Just depend on the federal government to give you a place to live (federal housing, section 8, etc..) and pay for your food (food stamps). Let's see, shelter and food are on the basic list of human needs and are a great motivating factor for self improvement. Well, unless the federal government is willing to give you those things. Oh, you need more money? Well, just have another child and get yourself a raise!! And what are you required to do to get these things? Maybe attend a job program or something? Nope, just simply breath air and provide a current address.

Yes, I do have sympathy for the disadvantaged, and I pitty them for having the federal goverment as a parent. Ask yourself this, since the federal government has decided to step in and "solve" the poverty problem, what has happened? Are you ready for the same thing to happen to health care?

It's a shame that this wasn't left to private charities and neighborhood churches, who used to handle helping the poor. People were held accountable for improving themselves through most church programs. They also may have found a better path for their life through the church. Members of the community also couldn't ignore the poor when they saw them at Sunday morning service. People who wanted out of poverty could get there. Those who didn't, well, they chose their path, which is what this country is about, right?

Yes, I have A LOT of experience with the disadvantaged. Some kids never have a chance because of their parents, who have been morally bankrupted, partially by their own choosing, partially by the government programs that requires no morallity from them. Nothing any fed government program can do to help these kids.

Poor people are kept poor by who? Can you say the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. Why work when you don't have to? Just depend on the federal government to give you a place to live (federal housing, section 8, etc..) and pay for your food (food stamps). Let's see, shelter and food are on the basic list of human needs and are a great motivating factor for self improvement. Well, unless the federal government is willing to give you those things. Oh, you need more money? Well, just have another child and get yourself a raise!! And what are you required to do to get these things? Maybe attend a job program or something? Nope, just simply breath air and provide a current address.

Yes, I do have sympathy for the disadvantaged, and I pitty them for having the federal goverment as a parent. Ask yourself this, since the federal government has decided to step in and "solve" the poverty problem, what has happened? Are you ready for the same thing to happen to health care?

It's a shame that this wasn't left to private charities and neighborhood churches, who used to handle helping the poor. People were held accountable for improving themselves through most church programs. They also may have found a better path for their life through the church. Members of the community also couldn't ignore the poor when they saw them at Sunday morning service. People who wanted out of poverty could get there. Those who didn't, well, they chose their path, which is what this country is about, right?

Yes, I have A LOT of experience with the disadvantaged. Some kids never have a chance because of their parents, who have been morally bankrupted, partially by their own choosing, partially by the government programs that requires no morallity from them. Nothing any fed government program can do to help these kids.

Well, since you have all that experience, are you going to grace us with the story? UNTFlyer at least did that for us. Otherwise, I guess we'll just have to admire the broad strokes in which you so lovingly paint "the poor".

Well, since you have all that experience, are you going to grace us with the story? UNTFlyer at least did that for us. Otherwise, I guess we'll just have to admire the broad strokes in which you so lovingly paint "the poor".

How do you paint them? And what specifically do you disagree with in my post?

The broad brush was used on government social programs, not the poor.

Edited by UNT90

How do you paint them? And what specifically do you disagree with in my post?

The broad brush was used on government social programs, not the poor.

I don't paint anybody. You were the one engaging in all the generalizations. Since you didn't provide any factual basis for any of it, I was just inviting you to expand on your claim to "lots of experience with the disadvantaged".

And yes, I do resent the generalizations; I was the youngest of 7 children abandoned by my father and raised by my saint of a mother. Yes, we were the recipients of government programs, AFDC ("welfare" to the amen corner here, I'm sure), commodities (we went through all this before foot stamps). I don't think there was any housing assistance then; I don't think the place we lived until I was 7 with no indoor plumbing would satisfy any minimum requirements for any subsidies that do exist now. Yeah, we made it out of welfare and into gainful, tax paying employment; me and my able bodied brothers all served in the military. I was thus able to finish college using the GI Bill benefits that I EARNED; yep grateful for that government program. I was just interested in reading about the "lots" of background you have in these matters.

health insurance companies operate on some of the smallest margins of any industry anywhere. If Health insurors were making tons and tons of money I promiss there would be a Bigrobdsp insurance company. They dont need anymore competition than the free market already gives them. Anyone who thinks that government interference with the free market will lower costs had to sleep right through freshman level econ on their way to a degree in ceramics. Any industry that we want to become more competitive just needs to be fed to the free market. Any fat left in it will be imediatly loped off by plain old fashioned capitlolism. you want cheaper health care? cancel all goverment health programs. that will cheapen things up in about 2 hours.

You call this a small margin??????????????????????

http://www.healthreformwatch.com/2009/05/2...sation-in-2008/