Has The Flying Worm Turned Already This Season?

NT80

One moment we're sky high...

Just beat a previous 12-2 team a year ago.

Go 1-0 for the first time in a long time & coming home.

Huge crowd expected for first home game.

Muts gets beat bad and look like easy 1st conf win, Smut nearly loses to 1-AA.

Up 17-6 against Ohio and feeling good....

....then... crash!... :(

Opening day becomes a washout.

Riley and Gill get hurt.

Ohio wins in OT after several blown chances to put it away.

Ball State is beaten by 1-AA.

Muts beat Memphis, Smut wins a road game vs UAB.

ULL, first conf road trip, beats K-State.

....and thus, the life for Mean Green fans as it is, goes on.... to face Bama...... :wacko:

One moment we're sky high...

Just beat a previous 12-2 team a year ago.

Go 1-0 for the first time in a long time & coming home.

Huge crowd expected for first home game.

Muts gets beat bad and look like easy 1st conf win, Smut nearly loses to 1-AA.

Up 17-6 against Ohio and feeling good....

....then... crash!... :(

Opening day becomes a washout.

Riley and Gill get hurt.

Ohio wins in OT after several blown chances to put it away.

Ball State is beaten by 1-AA.

Muts beat Memphis, Smut wins a road game vs UAB.

ULL, first conf road trip, beats K-State.

....and thus, the life for Mean Green fans as it is, goes on.... to face Bama...... :wacko:

Comparative scores are always misleading. Injuries are part of football. Can't do a lot about the weather. I would not be surprised that the end of the season doesn't bear out that Ohio turns out to be a very good football team, much better than Memphis, UAB and maybe better than KSU. New Hampshire by the way would have probably beat NT by thirty points last year. I still like NT's chances in the Belt, not predicting a championship; but a winning record should be in reach. This is a very young team that is still far away from playing its best ball of the year. We are all disappointed in an OT loss, but NT overall looked like the better team and that is something I didn't think was true in any game last year.

not that i'm lowering my expectations but have you already forgotten how miserable last year was? only twice did we actually look like we belonged on the same field as our opponent. we are one dropped pass (us) or one great throw (them) away from being 2-0. it feels good to be upset because we could've won instead of being upset because we're so far away.

if our defense plays this well all year we will win a few more games.

first - Ball state was way over rated and

sec - ULL was not on the road, played in LA,

third - Ohio game.....this should have been a 34-17 game with UNT win...just like first game missed sooooooo many opportunities that a good team, a bowl team, a championship caliber team wuold have not made. Until UNT doesn't make the major errrors that are being made, they will not win the big games....they just make it hard on themselves.

forth - MUTS are much better than you give them credit....they could win this conf championship.

Now, I am proud of the MG...greenblood and all, and they played hard,,,,tremendous improvement over last year...couldn't get any worse and I see a VERY bright future for the MG..more funds, better recruiting, new stadium, better fan support, etc., but top of the heap teams don't make the kind of mistakes UNT is making....and Tune will probably do just fine...who knows? UNT 17, bama 42

Edited by houstonmeangreen

There's nothing wrong with being realistic. It's nice to be able to say this team is "realistically" better than we have been in years. Who cares about what used to be??? The Gary DeLoach defense seems to be making it's presence felt... Yes, Tune threw a pick that turned the Ohio game around... it happens. But at least we were in the game until the end. I'll take a dozen of those games over the Rice games of the past. Count me in for a few wins this year. Not Alabama (I'm a realist, not crazy...Alanbama 35/UNT-17), but we will compete in most games.

As the DCB has prognosticated... "Cam Montgomery running the ball is good for 5 wins."

It's early int he season, but so far I think he's right...

GMG!!!

For me, the Ohio game was very entertaining, but I am not sure that we know how to win a game like that yet. The old axiom that a team doesn't know how to win a tight game until they do it seems appropriate here. This program is just now getting to a place where they are competitive with comparable schools--which is a sign of major progress. At the end of the year, if we finish 3-9 or 4-8, there will be people who will say that Dodge should be gone, but to keep this going in the right direction, it would benefit UNT to keep him around for at least one more year. His QB is going to be great if we can keep him healthy. His recruiting has been spectacular compared to what we have been used to around here. TDodge will continue to get better as a head coach, too. Look, the SBC teams may not get any respect nationally, but it has some good teams that we are still well behind--Troy, FAU, and MTSU all come to mind here, but if we can continue to make progress toward catching ULM, ULL, FIU and Arkansas State, we will make some serious noise down the road. The worm may turn for some people here for 2009, but it hasn't for me. The expectations for getting to 4-5 wins this year seems realistic, which is something I personally didn't think before the season started. But, if Riley is hurt again and we only win 1-2 more games, the better question will be Does North Texas make a coaching change? That is the harder question to answer.

It's about time a thread like this brings everyone down to earth. I was tired of all the Puppy dogs & Ice Cream being blown up my a$$ the last two weeks! :lol:

Reality is, this team is better than last year. Reality is, anything can be better than being dog last in the FBS.

At least half the Sun Belt beats Ball St. this year. Personally, I think the weather this past Sat. was the great equalizer for NT against Ohio. As the year moves on, the year will become more difficult. How will the coaches adjust with key injuries, especially at QB? Something that has yet to be mentioned on GMG, is the very real possibility of this shoulder injury being a nagging issue for the rest of the year. As long as the defense continues to play lights out & they ride Cam, this team should be in every game (Bama thrown out).

Successful year = 5 wins, IMO. Very doable....

This team has already shown "on the field and in game situations" to be so improved over the last two that I find it humorous to see folks wanting to "surrender" at this point after a 1 point double OT loss to Ohio. How many times did many say "I just want UNT to be in the game in the 4th quarter"...well, not only "in the game" in the first two but 1-1. While I would definitely agree that it would be even better to be 2-0 heading into the Alabama game, I have seen nothing that would dampen my belief that this squad will have a vastly improved record including conference wins by seasons end. I predicted 5-7 with a decent chance at 6-6...I stand by that...yes, even with the injuries we have and the 1-point loss to Ohio.

It has been great to see the progress this team...and the coaching staff for that matter...have made this season. GO MEAN GREEN!

We've got 10 more games. The way the guys played and with only one body bag game on the schedule, they are very capable of winning 50% of the remainder of the games. I didn't have any preseason expectations besides 0 with hope that this was the real turn around year and we went .500. After these two games, my expectation for a successful season is .500.

Both games, this team dug in and fought back. Ball State tied it up and they fought back for the win. Ohio took the lead off a pick 6 from an unsettled back up QB who was thrown into the game. They fought back and Tune put them in the position to win.

I hope the guys have that fire re-lit and take it to Alabama next week wanting to prove something. Anything could happen and I am much more optimistic for a good game than I was at the first of the season.

No the worm hasn't turned. We are off to playing some good football on both sides of the line of scrimmage. The front seven on defense and the OL have been the biggest difference makers this season, imo. Deloach has steadied the ship and Lefty has the line playing extremely well.

We have not played anybody that can throw the ball yet. Alabama throws the ball fair but so far this season, no one has had a QB who can throw. Our DB test is coming up in the next few weeks.

A win, then a 1 point overtime loss amid a vastly improved defensive unit and it's already boo-hoo by some folks on this board.

More like a "reality check" for the kool-aid sippers. :P

NT has a long, rich history of circumstances turning it's lemonade back into lemons before fans get to enjoy much of it. <_<

More like a "reality check" for the kool-aid sippers. :P

NT has a long, rich history of circumstances turning it's lemonade back into lemons before fans get to enjoy much of it. <_<

I think we are still going to have a pretty damn good season with a building team that is only going to get better. I can't wait to see how we fair in conference play.