Question For You Optimists Out There...

UNT Mean Green

Last night was positive in so many different ways. One of those in my mind is that UNT left 14-21 points on the field last night, depending on how you look at it, and showed they were clearly the better team from the get-go against a formidable MAC opponent. I firmly believe the score should have been 37-10, and maybe worse.

Think about it:

INT return for TD called back.

Threw INT on the 2yd. line.

Missed 2 FG's.

Sit on ball inside 10yd. line to end the game (I respect & condone this).

In my mind, this even adds a more positive light on the game last night. What are your thoughts?

The score should have been 33-10. Two missed field goals and a defensive touchdown negated by a silly holding penalty. The interception in the endzone was a freshman mistake. We are going to have those.

Jeremy Knott really scares me. I have never seen him look good. Even the kicks that he makes look awkward. Don't we have a freshman kicker that looked strong in camp? I'd like to see him get a chance. Knott has proven to be unreliable.

Knott's first kick-off goes deep into the endzone, the next makes it to the 10. His field goal attempts look like the ball is spinning right to left, not end over end. Is he a former soccer player?

You can't sit there and say "man if we had only do this and that, the score would have really been this", because you can just as easily say "if BSU has done this and that, they would have won".

The score is what it is, we did what we did. We held on the run back, we threw that INT in the endzone, we missed FG's. These things ARE the game.

The score should have been 33-10. Two missed field goals and a defensive touchdown negated by a silly holding penalty. The interception in the endzone was a freshman mistake. We are going to have those.

Jeremy Knott really scares me. I have never seen him look good. Even the kicks that he makes look awkward. Don't we have a freshman kicker that looked strong in camp? I'd like to see him get a chance. Knott has proven to be unreliable.

Knott's first kick-off goes deep into the endzone, the next makes it to the 10. His field goal attempts look like the ball is spinning right to left, not end over end. Is he a former soccer player?

Yeah, his trajectory still seems to be a bit on the low side also. I was hoping that he had gotten over that.

It's hard to say, but I'll try:

1. I think Tobe has about run the gamut of what to do/not do during interception runbacks, but maybe he could practice just running away from the opposing quarterback. Nah.

2. Maybe have Knotts and Atterberry split time on practicing long field goals, or have a kicking consultant come in and spend time with the kickers during our bye week, sort of "kung fu kicking"...oh wait, that guy's dead.

I think it's reasonable to think we could have scored another 7 points. On the positive side, the game did reveal a few things we need more work on.

I was kind of wondering at the end though; although we made some mistakes, we played with passion. Maybe there's some key in there; don't dwell on negatives, just learn from mistakes?