Fear, Not Facts, Fueling 'birther' Movement

Attorney files motion for authentication of alleged 1960s certificate from Africa

WASHINGTON – California attorney Orly Taitz, who has filed a number of lawsuits demanding proof of Barack Obama's eligibility to serve as president, has released a copy of what purports to be a Kenyan certification of birth and has filed a new motion in U.S. District Court for its authentication.

........among the documentation not yet available for Obama includes his kindergarten records, his Punahou school records, his Occidental College records, his Columbia University records, his Columbia thesis, his Harvard Law School records, his Harvard Law Review articles, his scholarly articles from the University of Chicago, his passport, his medical records, his files from his years as an Illinois state senator, his Illinois State Bar Association records, any baptism records, and his adoption records.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

You know, as someone born in another country, but who has lived here his entire life, I think this documentation stuff is bullshit. It shouldn't matter where someone was born. It should matter that they have been a citizen of the nation for a long period of time, it should matter that they understand many of the varied customs and traditions of the US. It should matter that they were educated, raised, and lived in the us. Their birthplace shouldn't matter. I can tell you that many of those who have a great appreciation for the US weren't born here and their appreciation for the US stems from the knowledge and experience of being in another country with fewer freedoms, economic opportunities, and less quality of life than what the US had in the 1940's much less today.

Either deal with the fact that he got voted, exercise your right as a voter through your appropriate representatives in policy-making, or shut up. This is childish nonsense. Stop being xenophobes and stop being poor sportsmen.

Edited by meangreendork

Guest JohnDenver

I understand the letter of the law, the whole origin of birth stuff, but this has been put to rest already. I don't understand AT ALL about what else they want to see.

You know, as someone born in another country, but who has lived here his entire life, I think this documentation stuff is bullshit. It shouldn't matter where someone was born. It should matter that they have been a citizen of the nation for a long period of time, it should matter that they understand many of the varied customs and traditions of the US. It should matter that they were educated, raised, and lived in the us. Their birthplace shouldn't matter. I can tell you that many of those who have a great appreciation for the US weren't born here and their appreciation for the US stems from the knowledge and experience of being in another country with fewer freedoms, economic opportunities, and less quality of life than what the US had in the 1940's much less today.

Either deal with the fact that he got voted, exercise your right as a voter through your appropriate representatives in policy-making, or shut up. This is childish nonsense. Stop being xenophobes and stop being poor sportsmen.

Damn that pesky Constitution!

Damn that pesky Constitution!

I'm not sure if it was posted on here, or if one of my friends on Facebook posted it, but Michael Huckabee believes that Obama is absolutely a natural born US citizen. The way he sees it is that if Obama were born abroad, Hillary Clinton's team most certainly would have uncovered it long before the general election in November.

I for one think that if Obama cannot produce evidence he is a citizen then maybe we could vote an amendment to the constitution to allow non citizens to be president. He is doing a very good job and would hate to see him out of a job. That would just add to more welfare we would have to pay!

I for one think that if Obama cannot produce evidence he is a citizen then maybe we could vote an amendment to the constitution to allow non citizens to be president. He is doing a very good job and would hate to see him out of a job. That would just add to more welfare we would have to pay!

Yes... higher taxes, higher unemployment, runaway deficits, nationalization of private industry, un recoverable debt and the upcoming inflation and interest sky rocket party we're about to endure... Yes, he's doing a great job.

I'd like to know what, exactly, he's done that is an example of him doing a "Great Job".

Not surprising that someone who thinks a President who is acting outside his constiutional authority on almost every major policy he has touched is doing a good job would want the constitution shelved for his own benefit.

That being said - I don't think there is anything to this. The Clintons or one of the Republicans would have been able to put together the evidence if it were true. There is nothing that constituationally disqualifies Obama from being President.

The question is, "what if I'm wrong?" Well, if it is proven he's not qualified to be President, he should be removed and Biden should take over under the rules of the Constitution. ...but I don't think there is a snowball's chance in hell that will be proven. Think about it for a minute. The ONLY way he makes it to this point if he weren't a citizen is with a lot of help, which would basically make him a puppet. Someone or group willing to go to that affort to have a puppet could find someone who didn't have this controversy hanging over his head.

LOL!

9.5% unemployment and rising.

june_jobs_chart_med.jpg

And deficits?

wapoobamabudget1.jpg

And poll numbers? No incoming President has lost so much support in so little time in 100 years.

obama_index_august_3_2009.jpg

Yeah... tremendous job so far!

Are you so quick to put responsibility of the massive unemployment of 1982 squarely on the shoulders of Ronald Reagan or might the laughable administration of Jimmy Carter have had something to do with it? Macro economics move slowly, so I don't know that you can say the 9.5% unemployment rate (and rising!) is result of the questionable stimulus package of the Obama administration. Check back in 2011 or so. Hell, even Todd Dodge got two years of miserable performance with the whole bare cupboard mantra.

Are you so quick to put responsibility of the massive unemployment of 1982 squarely on the shoulders of Ronald Reagan or might the laughable administration of Jimmy Carter have had something to do with it? Macro economics move slowly, so I don't know that you can say the 9.5% unemployment rate (and rising!) is result of the questionable stimulus package of the Obama administration. Check back in 2011 or so. Hell, even Todd Dodge got two years of miserable performance with the whole bare cupboard mantra.

To be fair, I don't blame Obama for macroeconomic measurements... I'm just using the same logic posed by Democrats to demonize Bush (deficits and unemployemtn) and ask why they don't feel 4 times angrier with Obama when his deficit is 4 times greater.

Recessions happen, no matter what party is in the White House. Reagan came into office at the beginning of a deep recession. Rather than increase government assistance and social programs, Reagan built the military and cut taxes which caused unemployment to drop and investments to increase.

Obama is proposing the opposite - more government programs and higher taxes. That's the difference between the two.

I don't blame him for the totality of the unempoloyment. I also know, however, based on history, that governement spending on government projects, no matter how grandios will not spur on the economy. The net result of the deficit spending in the stimulus will be runaway inflation and interest rates. This will send us into a similar route as did Carter policies. Why support a concept and policy which history has proven doesn't work. It didn't work in the late 30's, it didn't happen in the late 70's and it won't work now.

Edited by yyz28

I don't blame him for the totality of the unempoloyment. I also know, however, based on history, that governement spending, no matter how grandios will spur on the economy. The net result of the deficit spending in the stimulus will be runaway inflation and interest rates. This will send us into a similar route as did Carter policies. Why support a concept and policy which history has proven doesn't work. It didn't work in the late 30's, it didn't happen in the late 70's and it won't work now.

It was a friendly jab at Flyer and his sig line. He answered commendably.

I'm not sure if it was posted on here, or if one of my friends on Facebook posted it, but Michael Huckabee believes that Obama is absolutely a natural born US citizen. The way he sees it is that if Obama were born abroad, Hillary Clinton's team most certainly would have uncovered it long before the general election in November.

Great point...you can rest assured they would have uncovered it...This stuff is "out there" for sure,but the idea that only conservatives and republicans have a "nut case fringe element" is pretty nutty in itself. Seems when Bush was in office there was a rather large contingent of liberal/democrat nut case fringe elements around...heck, some still don't even acknowledge that Bush is no longer president. There is plenty of "fringe nut case element" to go around...I dare say no one has a monopoly on that.

Yes... higher taxes, higher unemployment, runaway deficits, nationalization of private industry, un recoverable debt and the upcoming inflation and interest sky rocket party we're about to endure... Yes, he's doing a great job.

I'd like to know what, exactly, he's done that is an example of him doing a "Great Job".

Not surprising that someone who thinks a President who is acting outside his constiutional authority on almost every major policy he has touched is doing a good job would want the constitution shelved for his own benefit.

That being said - I don't think there is anything to this. The Clintons or one of the Republicans would have been able to put together the evidence if it were true. There is nothing that constituationally disqualifies Obama from being President.

The question is, "what if I'm wrong?" Well, if it is proven he's not qualified to be President, he should be removed and Biden should take over under the rules of the Constitution. ...but I don't think there is a snowball's chance in hell that will be proven. Think about it for a minute. The ONLY way he makes it to this point if he weren't a citizen is with a lot of help, which would basically make him a puppet. Someone or group willing to go to that affort to have a puppet could find someone who didn't have this controversy hanging over his head.

AP ENTERPRISE: Biggest tax revenue drop since 1932

By STEPHEN OHLEMACHER, Associated Press Writer Stephen Ohlemacher, Associated Press Writer – 10 mins ago

WASHINGTON – The recession is starving the government of tax revenue, just as the president and Congress are piling a major expansion of health care and other programs on the nation's plate and struggling to find money to pay the tab.

Rick

Found this interesting quote while researching the Athenian Democracy:

"It remains a unique and intriguing experiment in direct democracy where the people do not elect representatives to vote on their behalf but vote on legislation and executive bills in their own right. Participation was by no means open, but the in-group of participants was constituted with no reference to economic class and they participated on a scale that was truly phenomenal. The public opinion of voters was remarkably influenced by the political satire performed by the comic poets at the theaters.[1]"

Good to see that human nature hasn't changed in some 1500 years.

Bill Maher is to the left = Ann Coulter is to the right

Way to instantly lose credibility.

(My research consisted of a viisit to wikipedia...so lazy).

Found this interesting quote while researching the Athenian Democracy:

"It remains a unique and intriguing experiment in direct democracy where the people do not elect representatives to vote on their behalf but vote on legislation and executive bills in their own right. Participation was by no means open, but the in-group of participants was constituted with no reference to economic class and they participated on a scale that was truly phenomenal. The public opinion of voters was remarkably influenced by the political satire performed by the comic poets at the theaters.[1]"

Good to see that human nature hasn't changed in some 1500 years.

Bill Maher is to the left = Ann Coulter is to the right

Way to instantly lose credibility.

(My research consisted of a viisit to wikipedia...so lazy).

How about (the centrist) Leonard Pitts then.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/editor...ok/6559416.html

Great point...you can rest assured they would have uncovered it...This stuff is "out there" for sure,but the idea that only conservatives and republicans have a "nut case fringe element" is pretty nutty in itself. Seems when Bush was in office there was a rather large contingent of liberal/democrat nut case fringe elements around...heck, some still don't even acknowledge that Bush is no longer president. There is plenty of "fringe nut case element" to go around...I dare say no one has a monopoly on that.

You actually succumed to (gasp) logic regarding this issue?....and it's about President Obama?!?! :o