Legalize Marijuana ?

I'm going to say no only because people will drive while they're high, which in my book is just as bad as driving while drunk.

I say yes , but treat it just like alcohol. Set a age , no smoking in the vehicle or driving while under the influence. Tax the hell out , make $$ & create jobs.

Regulate its production, tax it, medicine it, slap a minimum age (21 works), and set it under the same restrictions as alcohol use. We could use the money and it would make the drug dealers and traffickers think again. Not only are they running something across the borders illegally (because they won't have a trade agreement with the US), but now they're also competing against American companies that now produce it. Make use of other products that can from its production, and generally make some money out of it, both for taxing and capitalist venture.

Btw, I don't smoke. Isn't really my thing.

As an individual who smoked far more than his fair share in high school and early college years (while still managing to graduate top 10% HS and maintain a GPA pf 3.46 Colg), I can vouch for the fact that an individual under the influence of the ganj is far less likely to harm himself or others as one under the influence of alcohol. I can also vouch for the fact that it's FAR less addictive than either alcohol or tobacco (smoked for 5 solid years and easily quit cold turkey with zero desire to relapse 3.5 years ago.) That being said, I could care less were it to be legalized.

Edited by Green P1

As an individual who smoked far more than his fair share in high school and early college years (while still managing to graduate top 10% HS and maintain a GPA pf 3.46 Colg), I can vouch for the fact that an individual under the influence of the ganj is far less likely to harm himself or others as one under the influence of alcohol. I can also vouch for the fact that it's FAR less addictive than either alcohol or tobacco (smoked for 5 solid years and easily quit cold turkey.) That being said, I could care less were it to be legalized.

Same here & Very True . I could care less as well if it's legal or not , because I don't smoke anymore.However I think the economic impact should be considered by the govt.

Don't you know? Plenty of jobs have already been created because it is illegal. Police Officers, probation officers, "rehab" staff, judges, clerks, etc...each has seen a rise in needed employees because of the larger case loads.

So if we legalize the sticky the cops go away too?

Keeps getting better...

Don't you know? Plenty of jobs have already been created because it is illegal. Police Officers, probation officers, "rehab" staff, judges, clerks, etc...each has seen a rise in needed employees because of the larger case loads.

Damnit I knew you would of brought this up. I'll admit your right , having more drugs illegeal creates many more jobs than if they were legal. That's why the US government helps bring cocaine ( I'm sure other drugs too ) across the border.

Interesting perspective: I meet and talk to a lot of cops, and I have yet to meet one that does not want to see the decriminalization of current misdemeanor amounts simply because of the nuisance and effort required to work the cases which many of them view as wastes of valuable time.

My opinion is to decriminalize possession of a "small amount", set that amount, and legalize and tax it.

Sure, let's legalize it. But why stop there. Let's legalize cocaine, Heroin, Meth, and prescription drugs. And, hey, since they are legal, you can't discriminate against me for using them. So, I think I'll apply to be a cop, smoke some weed and do a line before responding to your house when that guy who is hooked on speed breaks in and threatens to shoot your family.

But why stop there, lets legalize polygamy, incest, and child murder (as long as it is your own kid).

But why stop there.

Would be really interested to know how many who voted yes use marihuana. Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Sure, let's legalize it. But why stop there. Let's legalize cocaine, Heroin, Meth, and prescription drugs. And, hey, since they are legal, you can't discriminate against me for using them. So, I think I'll apply to be a cop, smoke some weed and do a line before responding to your house when that guy who is hooked on speed breaks in and threatens to shoot your family.

But why stop there, lets legalize polygamy, incest, and child murder (as long as it is your own kid).

But why stop there.

Would be really interested to know how many who voted yes use marihuana. Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Well if we go to one extreme...lets illegalize alcohol, tobacco, diet coke and bacon.

You are arguing on a very slippery slope. Narcotics are an entirely different animal...and discussion of their legalization really has no place in a discussion on marijuana as the ONLY similiarity is their illegality. There are no health, personall well-being or safety issues from marijuana that are not equalled or trumped by dozens of legal substances.

As for your want to be a stoned and strung out cop...I'd be willing to bet that its probably against policy to show up drunk...though I guess I'll defer to Emmitt or Rudy for confirmation. Just because something is legal for use doesn't mean there aren't restrictions about the situations in which you can use them. Replace "marijuana" with "alcohol" in everyone of your situations and then present an argument against...as I said earlier, I havent heard one.

Really...pot=murder? Come on.

And to your question...me. Fairly regularly...(2-5 times per month on average).

But why stop there.

Incrementalism, which is what you describe there, is a flawed argument.

First, just because it is legal doesn't mean that there are not laws directing how it is to be used. Alcohol is legal but are you allowed to go into work drunk? probably not. The same logic applies to Marijuana if legalized.

Second, the legalization of cocain, heroin, meth etc, is a different subject simply because of the proven volatility of those substances, horrendous physical effects and resulting mental effects as well. Those substances are far more volatile and dangerous than marijuana. I do see your point, if one is legal, lets legalize all of it and tax it, regulate it and punish offenders severely. It is an individual's body and they should be able to destroy it how they see fit. But that will never happen.

Third, How the hell did you get to odd sexual behavior and child murder? A bit extreme wouldn't you think? But I get it, take the argument at hand, make it as extreme as possible that way no one can disagree with you lest they agree that child murder is ok, only if it is your own kid of course. Right? These things have nothing to do with the legalization of Marijuana, absolutely nothing.

I like a couple on the board used to smoke a goodly amount of Marijuana, especially during my time at Bruce Hall and living on Hickory Street... But I haven't touched the stuff in years. It was easy for me to quit and I had no relapse and no withdrawals. I never got in a fight while high, something I cant say about drinking which is legal. I would also be wiling to say that I helped quite a few local eateries stay in business during my time. so therefore Marijuana helped the economy! So if mre people smoked Marjuana then we could get out of the recession!

Great idea, legalize Marijuana and say no to the next stimulous. We will ride the wave of YUM brand's unprecedented stock growth!

So, I think I'll apply to be a cop, smoke some weed and do a line before responding to your house when that guy who is hooked on speed breaks in and threatens to shoot your family.

More like: "I'll wait and wait on the cops that lose valuable time getting to my house to catch the hooked-on-speed guy, because they're detaining a speeding ticket since he has a roach in his ashtray."

No one advocated legalization of narcotics. Waste of time and resources to have to prosecute possession of small amounts of cannabis.

I do not smoke.

Well if we go to one extreme...lets illegalize alcohol, tobacco, diet coke and bacon.

You are arguing on a very slippery slope. Narcotics are an entirely different animal...and discussion of their legalization really has no place in a discussion on marijuana as the ONLY similiarity is their illegality. There are no health, personall well-being or safety issues from marijuana that are not equalled or trumped by dozens of legal substances.

As for your want to be a stoned and strung out cop...I'd be willing to bet that its probably against policy to show up drunk...though I guess I'll defer to Emmitt or Rudy for confirmation. Just because something is legal for use doesn't mean there aren't restrictions about the situations in which you can use them. Replace "marijuana" with "alcohol" in everyone of your situations and then present an argument against...as I said earlier, I havent heard one.

Really...pot=murder? Come on.

And to your question...me. Fairly regularly...(2-5 times per month on average).

As I have said before, alcohol should be illegal. The only reason it isn't is because we need to justify to ourselves that it is ok to use this drug. Well, that and alcohol's long history in our society. Ditto for Tobacco. Diet Coke and Bacon? I'll assume you were just trying to make a point.

Ya, I've never seen a teen pot user progress to speed, cocaine, or Herion. That just doesn't happen, right? These things have absolutely no connection? Google gateway drugs.

I believe in societal standards. When these standards begin to slip. it is a slow slide into anarchy.

As I have said before, alcohol should be illegal. The only reason it isn't is because we need to justify to ourselves that it is ok to use this drug. Well, that and alcohol's long history in our society. Ditto for Tobacco. Diet Coke and Bacon? I'll assume you were just trying to make a point.

Ya, I've never seen a teen pot user progress to speed, cocaine, or Herion. That just doesn't happen, right? These things have absolutely no connection? Google gateway drugs.

I believe in societal standards. When these standards begin to slip. it is a slow slide into anarchy.

Sounds like you advocate taking dangerous things away from everyone due to the misconduct of a minority. What's that about?

I would say that Tobacco is the real gateway drug. Ask the Marijuana smokers how many of them smoked cigarettes before they began smoking Marijuana, I would venture the guess that it is significantly greater than 50%.

Tobacco as a gateway drug

The National Institute on Drug Abuse found that:

* 95% of high school seniors who smoke, tried illicit drugs, while only 27% of non-smokers tried illicit drugs;

* 94% of smoking seniors tried marijuana compared to 20% of non-smoking seniors;

* 49% of smoking seniors tried cocaine, while 5% of non-smoking seniors tried it;

* 18.4% of smoking seniors drank daily compared to 1.7% of non-smoking seniors; and

* 67.9% of smoking seniors did some heavy drinking, while only 17.2% of non-smoking seniors did some heavy drinking. (3.)

That being said, i feel that it is a bad idea to try and legislate morality in any way shape or form. I agree with societal standards, but who is it that dictates those standards? Where are the cutoff points? I think that we have established those in the American culture. We are willing to live as a society within the confines and with the consequences of Alcohol and Tobacco. That much is abundantly clear. Those would be societal standards and they haven't really changed in the 233 years that this country has been around.

Edited by hickoryhouse

I would say that Tobacco is the real gateway drug. Ask the Marijuana smokers how many of them smoked cigarettes before they began smoking Marijuana, I would venture the guess that it is significantly greater than 50%.

Tobacco as a gateway drug

That being said, i feel that it is a bad idea to try and legislate morality in any way shape or form. I agree with societal standards, but who is it that dictates those standards? Where are the cutoff points? I think that we have established those in the American culture. We are willing to live as a society within the confines and with the consequences of Alcohol and Tobacco. That much is abundantly clear. Those would be societal standards and they haven't really changed in the 233 years that this country has been around.

Usually religion has a big part in setting those standards. But since religion is being vilified in this country, where do those standards come from? That is what scares the heck out of me for our furture.

And I agree that alcohol and tobacco are gateway drugs. So we have 2, why not 3?

Minor point, but alcohol was illegal in the 20's. Maybe we need another Carrie Nation. ;)

Sounds like you advocate taking dangerous things away from everyone due to the misconduct of a minority. What's that about?

Nope, just dangerous things that have no productive use.

And for the record, I love my beera, I'm just not hypocritical about it.