"Then if my people will humble themselves (get on their knees) and pray, and search for Me, and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear them from Heaven and forgive their sins and heal their land." 2 Chronicles 7:14-15

Do any of you actually believe that this nation can defiantly shake it's fist in God's face and that He will bless us and resurrect our economy anyway?

Do any of you actually think that we can murder innocent children in the womb and God is going to call off the earthquakes and other natural disasters?

Do any of you actually think that we can lie, steal, bear false witness, covet our neighbors goods, commit adultery, worship false Gods, promote homosexuality to kids as young as second graders and God will smile and call off the pestilence and disease.

Now, if any of you believe that God despite our disobedience will still bless our nation than Barack Hussein Obama is your man.

For the rest of us, we need to stay on our knees.

Edited by meangreenbob

screw that, i want in on one of those "GAY RULEZ" classes for second graders!!!

haven't we been doin' all that stuff anyway? We've been pretty rich, right? Bah, forget it. Best not to think any. Bob's rollin'. I am totally about to have a new favorite crazy person on GMG... ee better step it up!!!

It's the preaching at people part. Has a tendency to make someone look less believable. It's one thing for me to walk to you and say the sky is blue as opposed to standing on a bench and yelling it at people. Less about content, more about method.

See also: crazy religious guy that used to speak on the free speech zones on campus between 2003 and 2005.

I'm a conservative Republican atheist. I think it is far more likely we were planted here by space aliens.

Out of curiosity, have you ever looked into the Libertarian party? It really seems more in line with your rhetoric. Much like me and the Greens.

I'm a conservative Republican atheist. I think it is far more likely we were planted here by space aliens.

Makes more sense than the talking snake in the garden of eden. And for you Flyer, all the Alien Ale you can drink at the next tailgating. B)

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Downvote 1

It's the preaching at people part. Has a tendency to make someone look less believable. It's one thing for me to walk to you and say the sky is blue as opposed to standing on a bench and yelling it at people. Less about content, more about method.

See also: crazy religious guy that used to speak on the free speech zones on campus between 2003 and 2005.

"It's the preaching part?" You're joking right? All I did was quote Scripture and gave reference to some of the TEN COMMANDMENTS. Man, I would love to see you have a face to face with God or you go back in time and explain to Jesus that he needs to be less about content and focus more on His method. Thanks meangreendork, now I understand why so many people find the Scripture and Jesus less believable. It's the preaching part. Wow, who'd thought?

All I did was quote Scripture and gave reference to some of the TEN COMMANDMENTS.

Interesting. Could you tell me from what part of scripture this is quoted?

Do any of you actually believe that this nation can defiantly shake it's fist in God's face and that He will bless us and resurrect our economy anyway?

Do any of you actually think that we can murder innocent children in the womb and God is going to call off the earthquakes and other natural disasters?

Do any of you actually think that we can lie, steal, bear false witness, covet our neighbors goods, commit adultery, worship false Gods, promote homosexuality to kids as young as second graders and God will smile and call off the pestilence and disease.

Now, if any of you believe that God despite our disobedience will still bless our nation than Barack Hussein Obama is your man.

The bold is directly from the ten commandments. The rest is just holier than thou rhetoric that rings to me of a Pharisee standing on a soap box thanking God that he's not a sinner like those around him. So when exactly did God come down from the heavens and anoint you judge of your countrymen? When did the line between that which belongs the Caesar than that which belongs to God get erased?

If there were a single quality to the particular brand of Christianity in which I was raised that I still think is valid to this day, it's to witness by example, not by proselytizing. If I'm going to subscribe to the Christian faith, I believe that for the individual to live like Christ is enough. The faithful are destined to experience trials, tribulations, and persecution, but are to receive their reward in Heaven, right? So why put so much angry energy into the actions of your government? After all, much to the chagrin of his disciples, Christ did not come to establish a worldly kingdom. If he didn't intend to establish such, neither should you.

Out of curiosity, have you ever looked into the Libertarian party? It really seems more in line with your rhetoric. Much like me and the Greens.

Yes and they get a small donation from me every year. If they ever nominate a viable candidate, he/she has my vote.

If there were a single quality to the particular brand of Christianity in which I was raised that I still think is valid to this day, it's to witness by example, not by proselytizing.

That right there. That's perfect, and thank you.

---

MGBob, Jesus also lead by example, as opposed to just showing up at random and then screaming religion at people. But you still miss the point here:

You showed up, at random, and essentially yelled religion at us. In a setting like this, that's about the same as standing on oldguystudent's soapbox and preaching at people. You're just like that strange man that used to show up on campus between 2003-2005 (maybe earlier or later) and who yelled religion at people. Here's the thing - no one cared what his content was. It didn't matter if it was truthful or not because his means of relaying it seemed questionable or at least, anachronistic.

You can liken his behavior to that of a sideshow barker or trade show voice. Sure, the product may be sound or the show may be nice, but this guy is still yelling at people, and that's far more vinegar than sugar. Or you can say it's like bad, loud TV commercials - yeah, they could be pushing the best product, but I'm going to mute them and FF on my DVR to speed past them.

The ways of successfully communicating anything religiously related aren't the same as they were 2000 years ago. Back then, people flocked to soapbox speakers (well, more like just loud guys on pedestals) and traveling musicians because they often brought the news of the day. You have a more congregated setting for people gather their daily information, so listening to a man preach from a stoop or whatever raised surface was fine and normal.

Now, people get their information, often, on their own. They do their research and when they're in a situation where someone is attempting to convince them of something, they're more likely to listen to (you guessed it) word-of-mouth from close friends or at least people they trust. There's a reason why churches no longer do it soapbox style, and instead prefer going door-to-door because that builds relationships with people they visit.

Think about it - in the churches I used to go to, during the testimonials, I rarely heard anyone convinced to take any action because of someone preaching at them. I did, however, hear many a testimonial about how someone was convinced to take an action in their lives through the personal relationship that was built between them and another member of the church. Often, these people were new members of the church, and they were brought in through visitation or just through a daily working or friendship relationship with another active church member. There's trust built up between the two people involved, and more than likely, the active church member leading by example. That, more often than not, is what "lands the sale".

No yelling involved.

Edited by meangreendork

If I'm going to subscribe to the Christian faith, I believe that for the individual to live like Christ is enough. The faithful are destined to experience trials, tribulations, and persecution, but are to receive their reward in Heaven, right? So why put so much angry energy into the actions of your government? After all, much to the chagrin of his disciples, Christ did not come to establish a worldly kingdom. If he didn't intend to establish such, neither should you.

It seems several of you have a severe phobia to being told you are wrong. For one to live like Christ requires one to preach, because He did. Consider the following article:

Give Me the Truth

Author Unknown

If you are my friend, if you are concerned about my soul, give me the truth. Do not flatter me. Do not praise my virtues while remaining silent about my vices. Do not fear the truth will offend me. Do not treasure our friendship, our friendly relations, above my salvation.

Do not think by ignoring my sins you can help me. Do not think that being blind to my sins will prove you charitable. However I may react to it, whatever may be my attitude toward you after you have done it, GIVE ME THE TRUTH. For the Truth, and only the Truth, can make me free from the shackles of sin, strengthen me in the pathway of righteousness, and lead me to heaven’s joy.

If I am wavering, weak, lukewarm, indifferent, neglectful; if I have been overtaken in a trespass; if I have been drawn into the pleasure of the world; if I have left my first love; if I have been led astray by error; or if I have done none of these, but simply need to grow in knowledge and be edified, GIVE ME THE TRUTH!

Old guy, you are absolutely correct when you say, "Christ did not come to establish a worldly kingdom." But that did not stop John the baptist from rebuking Herod the Tetrarch of Galilee for marrying his brother's wife. It did not stop Paul from reasoning with the Felix, the Roman governor of Judea, of "righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come." If you want to tell Bob that he could use more tact in his approach, that's one thing. But even in the Christian age, it remains true that "righteousness exalteth a nation, but sin is a reproach to any people." And I appreciate efforts at least to try to tell the truth more than I do efforts to hush any unpleasant thoughts.

Interesting. Could you tell me from what part of scripture this is quoted?

The bold is directly from the ten commandments. The rest is just holier than thou rhetoric that rings to me of a Pharisee standing on a soap box thanking God that he's not a sinner like those around him. So when exactly did God come down from the heavens and anoint you judge of your countrymen? When did the line between that which belongs the Caesar than that which belongs to God get erased?

If there were a single quality to the particular brand of Christianity in which I was raised that I still think is valid to this day, it's to witness by example, not by proselytizing. If I'm going to subscribe to the Christian faith, I believe that for the individual to live like Christ is enough. The faithful are destined to experience trials, tribulations, and persecution, but are to receive their reward in Heaven, right? So why put so much angry energy into the actions of your government? After all, much to the chagrin of his disciples, Christ did not come to establish a worldly kingdom. If he didn't intend to establish such, neither should you.

I thought I clearly typed, 2 Chronicles 7:14-15.

Who isn't a sinner!

I didn't judge anyone. Obviously you feel threatened.

When did I ever say not to pay your taxes?

Your particular brand of Christianity obviously never heard of The Great Commission. Thats scary.

Where did I portray anger towards my government?

Christ will come to established a wordly kingdom but false teachers won't be there, right?

That right there. That's perfect, and thank you.

---

MGBob, Jesus also lead by example, as opposed to just showing up at random and then screaming religion at people. But you still miss the point here:

You showed up, at random, and essentially yelled religion at us. In a setting like this, that's about the same as standing on oldguystudent's soapbox and preaching at people. You're just like that strange man that used to show up on campus between 2003-2005 (maybe earlier or later) and who yelled religion at people. Here's the thing - no one cared what his content was. It didn't matter if it was truthful or not because his means of relaying it seemed questionable or at least, anachronistic.

You can liken his behavior to that of a sideshow barker or trade show voice. Sure, the product may be sound or the show may be nice, but this guy is still yelling at people, and that's far more vinegar than sugar. Or you can say it's like bad, loud TV commercials - yeah, they could be pushing the best product, but I'm going to mute them and FF on my DVR to speed past them.

The ways of successfully communicating anything religiously related aren't the same as they were 2000 years ago. Back then, people flocked to soapbox speakers (well, more like just loud guys on pedestals) and traveling musicians because they often brought the news of the day. You have a more congregated setting for people gather their daily information, so listening to a man preach from a stoop or whatever raised surface was fine and normal.

Now, people get their information, often, on their own. They do their research and when they're in a situation where someone is attempting to convince them of something, they're more likely to listen to (you guessed it) word-of-mouth from close friends or at least people they trust. There's a reason why churches no longer do it soapbox style, and instead prefer going door-to-door because that builds relationships with people they visit.

Think about it - in the churches I used to go to, during the testimonials, I rarely heard anyone convinced to take any action because of someone preaching at them. I did, however, hear many a testimonial about how someone was convinced to take an action in their lives through the personal relationship that was built between them and another member of the church. Often, these people were new members of the church, and they were brought in through visitation or just through a daily working or friendship relationship with another active church member. There's trust built up between the two people involved, and more than likely, the active church member leading by example. That, more often than not, is what "lands the sale".

No yelling involved.

[/quote

I"ll be sure to tell God next time I see Him that He is wrong and meangreendork is right.

Oh, and by the way, thank you so much for the blessing! No yelling involved.