What If

hickoryhouse

What happens if TD wins 6 games this year comes back next year and wins 7 and has this team going in the right direction, good recruits etc...

What does RV do with TD contract? Does he get an extension? Does he make more money? how much? JJ down in Dallas is making retarded money and I know that we are not going to be paying that, but I am curious what the percieved commitment level is for the future pay scale of our coaches.

He definitely gets an extension, and probably a small pay raise. Unless we are going bowling and/or getting big OOC wins, I don't see it being a significant raise unless in the form of incentives.

I think almost all would agree that he gets an extension if he gets 6 wins this year, 7 next. But what about 5 wins this year, 6 next? 5 wins both years?

What happens if TD wins 6 games this year comes back next year and wins 7 and has this team going in the right direction, good recruits etc...

make it incentive based. you dont extend a contract for .500 work. each season of 7 or more wins gains one year contract extension.

What does RV do with TD contract? Does he get an extension? Does he make more money? how much? JJ down in Dallas is making retarded money and I know that we are not going to be paying that, but I am curious what the percieved commitment level is for the future pay scale of our coaches.

Simple.

We expect more, extend the contract, pay a little bit more. But until he comes back with an SBC ring and/or a bowl game appearance/ring, no big bonuses, no major raises.

make it incentive based. you dont extend a contract for .500 work. each season of 7 or more wins gains one year contract extension.

Extend the contract as long as he wants to stay working here.

Base salary: $0

Each win: $40,000

Gate receipts: 10%

This season would bring:

1 win X $40,000: $40,000

5 homes games X roughly 18,000 fans X avg $15/ticket X 10%: $135,000

Total: $175,000

Hmmm. We really would be getting what we pay for under that formula, wouldn't we?

Now let's look at.....

7-win season brings

7 wins X $40,000: $280,000

20,000 fans X 6 games X avg $15/ticket X 10%: $180,000

Bowl/postseason/ranking incentives: Same as they are now

Total: $390,000 + post season incentives. Now we're pushing the upper limits of Sunbelt salaries.

Now let's look at the possibility of a 10-win season with 30,000 fans per home game.

30,000 fans X 6 games X avd $15/ticker X 10%: $270,000

10 wins X $40,000: $400,000

Total: $670,000!!! That's more than double what he gets now, and we haven't even touched the post season and ranking incentives yet! Add to that an almost certain increase in ticket prices in following years due to increased demand.

Bottom line. Pay him what he's worth. We're ultimately selling a product here, right? This seems to be a message board of good, red-blooded capitalists. Ain't nothing in this world comes free.

Let's concentrate on winning 3 games in the same season first...I'll gladly answer those other questions when/if hell freezes over.

Let's concentrate on winning 3 games in the same season first...I'll gladly answer those other questions when/if hell freezes over.

--- Three (3-9) is likely not enough to make me smile.... Four might be IF many of the losses are competitive losses......and for goodness sake PLAY DEFENSE and keep the opponent's score down to a respectable number.

--- Three (3-9) is likely not enough to make me smile.... Four might be IF many of the losses are competitive losses......and for goodness sake PLAY DEFENSE and keep the opponent's score down to a respectable number.

Seriously. There is no way, at least in my opinion, that Todd Dodge comes back for year four if he goes 3-9 or worse this coming season. Four wins would still leave his return dubious, and five might not guarantee it.

IF Dodge turns it around like this, with the athletic fee and hopefully increased ticket sales and donations, there is no reason we cannot increase his salary to the top of the Sun Belt (currently $381,000/year).

But what if THIS happens?

jedi.jpg

Ok, I just spit coffee all over my computer screen. Freaking hilarious!

Agreed.

Seriously. There is no way, at least in my opinion, that Todd Dodge comes back for year four if he goes 3-9 or worse this coming season. Four wins would still leave his return dubious, and five might not guarantee it.

Also agreed.

If we are following the sequential pattern; we won 2 games in '07, 1 game in '08...one would conclude that we will win zero games in '09. Now, luckily, our football team isn't confined to the laws of sequential mathematical sequences. I was just stating that my expectations for this season are significantly lower than they have been at any point that I can recall. While three wins would equate to a 300% YOY increase in the wins column, it will not impress me unless one of those wins is against Alabama...in which case, Hell will have frozen over. If we win six games in '09, that's a 600% YOY increase and .500 season...again, IMHO, Hell will have frozen over. But, in that case, I'll be there cheering on the Mean Green in my warmest parka (otherwise, I'll just be there in short sleeves ;) )

I'll not smile or be satisfied with 3 or 4 wins either, but I prefer to go into this season with much lower expectations and then be pleasantly surprised if those expectations are exceeded. At the same time, Todd Dodge's future as head coach of the Mean Green beyond the 2009 season is in serious question IMO. I believe he should be on the top 5 of all pre-season "Coaches on the Hot Seat" polls.

oldguystudent is a genius, but it'll never happen....it would be hard to talk a coach into a contract like that at our level without more guaranteed money. Still....good idea.

I think TD is back next year unless he starts off 0-6. Short of that happening, I think he can still win just one or two as long as the team is competitive in most games---since that would be a MARKED improvement over last season.

This team is still young and the AD cannot possibly be ready to throw in the towel on this. The 'X' factor is the new stadium project. If it really does get off the ground by making it through the state legislature, gets lumped in with the new hotel/resort deal, etc....then I think RV will have earned enough rope to not get hanged by taking this huge risk on hiring a HS coach and could pull the trigger much quicker.

Guest GrayEagleOne

this team could have 0 wins the next two season....dodge will be here the entire length of his contract (5 years) no matter how many wins or losses he has.

Could be, but there'll be dang few fans left to watch a winless team. After which, RV and 80% of the athletic department deserve to be fired.

this team could have 0 wins the next two season....dodge will be here the entire length of his contract (5 years) no matter how many wins or losses he has.

Why do you say that? I am just curious. I don't think that you are right. It is about economics right now so I understand that. We just got done paying Dickey off this Spring, so I understand that. Dodge has what... 3 years left? The stadium opens in 2 which is when the athletic fee will start generating $6 million a year for the department. Contrary to popular NT Daily opinion, the entire fee will not be going to the stadium until $38 million is paid... it will just be used to retire bonds over a 15 year period or so. Anyway, I curious why you would consider Dodge "fire-proof"..? I think that this is his year to either perform or be put on notice. If he isn't performing in 2010, you bet your ass he will be let go and a new coach will be brought in to open the stadium. We would have one year to buy out - but the fee will kick in. Also, if we go 0-12 or 1-11 this year, he gets let go. Mark it down. Heck, he might even step down on his own... but I don't think that will happen, not with the schedule he has been given this year and next. This is a schedule built to win.

Why do you say that? I am just curious. I don't think that you are right. It is about economics right now so I understand that. We just got done paying Dickey off this Spring, so I understand that. Dodge has what... 3 years left? The stadium opens in 2 which is when the athletic fee will start generating $6 million a year for the department. Contrary to popular NT Daily opinion, the entire fee will not be going to the stadium until $38 million is paid... it will just be used to retire bonds over a 15 year period or so. Anyway, I curious why you would consider Dodge "fire-proof"..? I think that this is his year to either perform or be put on notice. If he isn't performing in 2010, you bet your ass he will be let go and a new coach will be brought in to open the stadium. We would have one year to buy out - but the fee will kick in. Also, if we go 0-12 or 1-11 this year, he gets let go. Mark it down. Heck, he might even step down on his own... but I don't think that will happen, not with the schedule he has been given this year and next. This is a schedule built to win.

...then he had better do it! <_<

And I agree with GEO. If Dodge keeps losing and RV allows him to stay for the full length of his contract...or longer.....then everyone should go.